• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I was thinking today and thought about this, what if someone had a budget of $20 a week to spend on preps, what would I buy if i were them????

I decided to purchase the following:

1 Gallon of gas ($4)
    1 box of 12ga buck shot ($5)
    1 case of bottled water ($4)
    1 bottle dawn dish soap ($3)
    1 case of Ramen noodles ($4)

What would you purchase per week if you had a budget of $20 per week???? Keep in mind, your bills are paid up to date and your car is full of gas, these are just preps for storage purposes..

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think that's a pretty damn good list you put together for a Prepper on a budget. Well most of us are on a budget its just some people's budgets are bigger than others.
    i think $20 a week is a serious commitment to prepping for a lot of people in this Ecconomy.

You could break up your $20 per week into a 4 week cycle of different items. I'd add toilet paper in place of the dish soap some weeks, for example.
    rice, beans, canned meats, ravioli, ect. Also basic over the counter meds that are regularly consumed in a household (Tylenol, cold meds, anti-diarea ...), tooth brushes, toothpaste, floss, basic first aid items, ect.

i think the OP sparks a very important discussion here. Making a set financial commitment to future living or prepping forces you to hold yourself accountable and plan other activities around your prepping instead of prepping just falling to the back and not being taken seriously. Also forming a list on a set budget keeps one from overspending by adding want items into the cart.

+1 OP

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I'd try to mix up the buckshot with a couple boxes of .22 when I could find it. I'd also prolly get some peanut butter here and there.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I think that's a pretty damn good list you put together for a Prepper on a budget. Well most of us are on a budget its just some people's budgets are bigger than others.
    i think $20 a week is a serious commitment to prepping for a lot of people in this Ecconomy.

You could break up your $20 per week into a 4 week cycle of different items. I'd add toilet paper in place of the dish soap some weeks, for example.
    rice, beans, canned meats, ravioli, ect. Also basic over the counter meds that are regularly consumed in a household (Tylenol, cold meds, anti-diarea ...), tooth brushes, toothpaste, floss, basic first aid items, ect.

i think the OP sparks a very important discussion here. Making a set financial commitment to future living or prepping forces you to hold yourself accountable and plan other activities around your prepping instead of prepping just falling to the back and not being taken seriously. Also forming a list on a set budget keeps one from overspending by adding want items into the cart.

+1 OP

Very good point, i hadn't really thought about that... I would mix up ammo a bit but i do not own any firearms chambered in .22, i got pissed at all the gougers during the shortage and sold all my .22 ammo (At near normal prices) and sold the guns also.. Lol.. I only have firearms in 12ga and .40S&W

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    You could always use .22 to barter with....

Also, if you haven't tried it, I enjoy mixing peanut butter into my ramen noodles.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    You could always use .22 to barter with....

Also, if you haven't tried it, I enjoy mixing peanut butter into my ramen noodles.

And I have considered it as a bartering tool but I just think on a limited budget it would be best to buy only the stuff you yourself could use and then onc eyou have ample supply built up then go for barter items such as .22 ammo and liquor, etc...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I read an article somewhere about prepping on a budget...... Hmmm... Wonder where that went? Off to google....

Anyway, I'd just buy a little more of what I already use. No point in 20 jars of peanut butter if you don't ever eat the stuff!

For $20 you could get:
    - 10 extra cans of food every week
    - one extra toiletry item every week (toilet paper, toothpaste, deodorant, razor blades, etc...)
    - a case of water
    - some batteries

Then drop the change in a jar for the larger items you want. Empty the jar every other month and go get something more than $20.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    You guys should look into couponing! If done right you can stock most this stuff for dollars. It takes a little time and effort but once you get use to it soap, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, toilet paper, paper towels, tooth brushes, floss, trash bags, and food too!

I do most my shopping at cvs because they give you back money on most your purchase along with store coupons you can stack with the manufacture coupons.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I love ramen noodles. I hardboil and egg with them and drain out the water, add the seasoning on a plate with some oil and soy sauce. Like chow mein

Not a fan.of.eating the ramen like most people in a soup though.

Don't forget to sub out honey for peanut butter every now and then as well.

Also chlorella and spirulina

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Look to the lists already posted and rotate weekly...batts. this week, can goods next week. Toiletry's are an absolute must if a woman and kids are in the group. Water is something you will never have enough of. We buy the 1 gallon milk jugs of distilled water for cooking etc. and flats of bottled for drinking. Jugs are stored in milk crates and stack nicely.

Peanut butter, Bisquick and such. We gave had Bisquick on the shelf for a year and it still works to make biscuits and pancakes.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Bisquick and such. We gave had Bisquick on the shelf for a year and it still works to make biscuits and pancakes.

This ^ . I recently finished off a box that expired in 09 ! It didn't taste as good as fresh / new stuff but it wasn't bad at all .

I get away from stocking too much raman noodles , they aren't very nutritious .

Beans and rice will keep " for ever " . Go to GFS and buy the bulk / restaurant size spices to add your favorite flavors to make almost anything more palatable .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you have a way to make biscuits (we do) it is great to put some honey are P-butter on them. Great comfort food in a SHTF scenario. We have made them on a campfire.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    This ^ . I recently finished off a box that expired in 09 ! It didn't taste as good as fresh / new stuff but it wasn't bad at all .

I get away from stocking too much raman noodles , they aren't very nutritious .

Beans and rice will keep " for ever " . Go to GFS and buy the bulk / restaurant size spices to add your favorite flavors to make almost anything more palatable .

Neither my Wife or I like beans or rice, that's why we don't stock them but, we both LOVE ramen noodles.. They are easy to prepare and keep for a very long time.. I do have a lot of peanut butter on hand, and i think i may try a $20 a week budget and see how it works and rotate items that are on the weekly shopping list. Right now my wife and i have been just buying extra canned goods and such along with every shopping trip and i think a budget would work best as that way we know what to plan for each week instead of the "Hmm, this looks good. Let's buy it" approach..

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    It's definitely best to have a plan and alternate that way your preps don't get to lopsided. Anything is better than nothing. I stock ramen as they are cheap and last forever. They are easy to start with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Neither my Wife or I like beans or rice, that's why we don't stock them but, we both LOVE ramen noodles.. They are easy to prepare and keep for a very long time.. I do have a lot of peanut butter on hand, and i think i may try a $20 a week budget and see how it works and rotate items that are on the weekly shopping list. Right now my wife and i have been just buying extra canned goods and such along with every shopping trip and i think a budget would work best as that way we know what to plan for each week instead of the "Hmm, this looks good. Let's buy it" approach..

Properly made I love rice and beans mixed. It is almost a complete meal in itself.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    A simple light weight pot and stove you can cook ramen all day. And pretty much anything. I personally like the light weight titanium set ups but the stainless ones are nice too just a bit heavier. I like the emberlit titanium but its semi expensive.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    As a suggestion, make a list of everything you currently use that you will want to have on hand if things fall apart.

Make a list of foods you eat, buy and store them. Count the caloric and nutrition info for what you store. Might have to add one a day vitamins to your stores to make up for the lack of nutritious food.
    Make a list of toilet and hygiene items you use and buy and store them. (soap, dish soap, shampoo, laundry, sanitizer, etc)
    Make a list of equipment you use and make sure you have spares.
    Make a list of first aid and medical suppplies you have training to utilize and buy and store them. Include meds for common issues.
    Make a list of fuels, batteries, energy sources you use, buy and store those items. Take note that without grid power you will need more batteries for lights, fuel for cooking, etc.

I am not opposed to couponing, I have tried it, it takes alot of time. I also check clearance racks every where I go. I got $9 bottles of alcohol based gel liquid fire starter for $2 the other day.

Everyone has to decide what is a priority and what is secondary.

Best of luck,

TJ

Top Bottom