Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

User Info Menu

AngryRooster,

The FT-8900 is not a substitution for a proper HF rig like the FT-857. There is a wonderful and enormous world down there in HF land that the 8900 won't get to.

I'm not trying to say that you need to get an 857 right off the bat, however, don't think that it "will do mostly the same thing". There is an enormous difference between the two. As a General, you have access to the HF bands, and they are Fantastic. I realize that the prices are scary, try to find one second hand, got to a couple hamfests and find a deal. They are out there. I sold my FT-100D for $400. It's the predecessor to the 857, and in some ways a better radio than the 857. In some ways not. But there are no glaring differences between the two.

I'm not sure what your goals are ie.. , Just local work, Medium distance, etc... I'm just making observations.

When you are looking for an antenna mount, look at the mounts that quickly fold down or have a quick detach antenna. You'll be thankful when you forget that thing is up there and end up at the airport parking garage with a mast that's a pain to lower.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Krogo View Post
    AngryRooster,

The FT-8900 is not a substitution for a proper HF rig like the FT-857. There is a wonderful and enormous world down there in HF land that the 8900 won't get to.

I'm not trying to say that you need to get an 857 right off the bat, however, don't think that it "will do mostly the same thing". There is an enormous difference between the two. As a General, you have access to the HF bands, and they are Fantastic. I realize that the prices are scary, try to find one second hand, got to a couple hamfests and find a deal. They are out there. I sold my FT-100D for $400. It's the predecessor to the 857, and in some ways a better radio than the 857. In some ways not. But there are no glaring differences between the two.

I'm not sure what your goals are ie.. , Just local work, Medium distance, etc... I'm just making observations.

When you are looking for an antenna mount, look at the mounts that quickly fold down or have a quick detach antenna. You'll be thankful when you forget that thing is up there and end up at the airport parking garage with a mast that's a pain to lower.
    I agree with 'Krogo', with the FT-8900 you're only getting 10M/6M/2M/440, and only FM. While there is some activity on 10/6 FM, most will be on SSB. Yes, it's only $30 more than the FT-8800, but you'll be hard pressed to find an antenna for all 4 bands (ie. more $). Just my . -- Greg
    <====><====><====><===><====>
    Greg / Grizhicks

"A Handlebar Moustache is indeed a glorious facial hair feature. Whether it stands alone or crowns some other form of facial hair, the glory comes from it being a 'Handlebar' and not simply an ordinary moustache." - Schnauzer

User Info Menu

OK, here goes, I've been on the forum on and off for years and have dabbled with HAM, that's to say, a couple of years ago, I studied online and took my technician test and passed, bought a Yaesu FT-60 and never moved on. I posted a few times and talked to a few people who said they could help me out and they were great guys but didn't get what I was looking for. Please don't say go to some club meetings, I've done that as well and met a couple great people but after chatting a little, I still left really no better off. Call me backwards, introverted or whatever but here is what I'm looking for. Would like to pay someone to spend and hour or two walking me through my radio and making and receiving transmissions. Preferably someone familiar with the Yaesu FT-60. I know once I get past this hump, I'll probably get more involved but I know the way I learn and do things and showing up to meetings is just not going to help me in the beginning. First, that's not my learning style, second. my schedule is a nightmare and the 1st Tuesday of the month or other varied meeting times just never work out.

I've had people offer and say don't worry about the money, but life usually takes over and they get busy or want to meet at a club meeting where it's not individualized and I'm still nowhere further. We could meet at a public place, that's not a problem at all. I'm a firefighter for Indianapolis and live in New Palestine. Happy to talk to you ahead of time so we are comfortable with each other. I would really like to move forward with this and potentially get a mobile rig to practice more.

Again, I've meet some great people who I know want to help but for whatever reason, things fall through. I want to treat this like a business transaction or a tutoring situation so please don't feel bad. I'm wanting to pay for one on one instruction just like music lessons. With that being said. I will offer 30 per hour for you to show me how to use and navigate through the channels and use the local repeaters. Im thinking an hour or two to start and that might be all I need to get me off and running. I'm also willing to pay someone 20.00 extra to program my radio with the basic stuff. I have the cables and can download the programs we need.

Again, please don't guide me to some websites or you-tube or local meetings. That has not worked for me. Call me stupid but it is what it is. I've had people tell me to swing by a store to have it programmed. I cannot find any such stores. Each lead I've been given has fallen through. I would rather pay someone for their time.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas and I hope I'm not coming off the wrong way but I really want to move to the next step and this is the only way I see myself moving to the next step. Hopefully someone out there can help me out. Thanks again.

Master

User Info Menu

If you live in an area with no repeater coverage on UHF or VHF, then you will most likely be disappointed in the performance of the hand held radios out there today. Even though most will push 5w on VHF, that rubber duck antenna it comes with won't do you much good unless you're on a platform above the terrain and trees. VHF and UHF is pretty much line of site so if the little radio can't "see" a repeater, you're not going to get very far. You could build a VHF/UHF antenna...look up Dual Band Open Stub J-Pole, you can build one for about $20 in parts...or you can buy one from Arrow that has everything you need for about $50 inc shipping. If you are communicating on a simplex freq between say, tractor and house, that ought to be fairly reliable...if you have two licensed radio amateurs around.

Buy a mobile capable of 50w minimum, and set it up as a base station. With the right mounts you can swap it in and out of the vehicle with relative ease. If your vehicle has no place to mount an antenna though, you're going to have other issues. I prefer a trunk lip mount on my mobile antenna. The FT 1900 is a cheap radio, usually under $150 and I believe it is 60w, the FT 2900 is about $20 more and it's 75w. Run either of those to a homebrew 2m beam or that open stub j-pole up about 35 feet and you probably won't have any problems hitting repeaters in Fayette, Rush, Wayne, Madison, Delaware or maybe even Hancock Counties...when the band is open you can also probably get into Dayton, and Indy.

Open Stub Dual Band J-Pole DIY Model - not for HF

User Info Menu

Sorry, if you sent me a pm, my mail box size was reduced for some reason so it was full. Please send me another note if you did, don't give up on me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2