• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    With Christmas coming I am looking for a good set of two way radios. I know you have better luck in open areas compared to hills and trees but I am looking for a set that can be used camping or in a situation where someone is a couple blocks away. The main goal is the best set available while staying under the $150 price point for the pair. I do not want something that requires a license for this gift so please keep that in mind.

Thanks

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sounds like you want a decent set of FRS radios. Those don't require an licensing. I know Midland make a few decent sets. I have the GXT radio set, with a charging station. Works fine for what it is (a couple of miles over water with no interference, a couple of blocks in the suburbs). Well under $75 for the set on Amazon.

GMRS requires a license, though you can buy the radios on any store shelf. Very few folks read the fine print, and use the GMRS channels anyway.

Glocksmith

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Lafayette
    Recently bought Motorola MR355R Talkabout 2 ways. Well satisfied. Came with 2 sets of faceplates, orange and camo. Several unnecessary features~

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'd get a couple of the baofeng UV5r plus radios. Yes they also operate on regulated bands but ALSO have FRS and GRS channels. Yeah some people are gonna chime in and say they are too powerful to operate on the FRS bands but honestly no one will know what you have.
    your not going to find anything cheaper or even close to that price that will have the transmit power for what you want to do. Nor the extra options you will have if you ever run into an emergency and need to operate on a main frequency to get help Ect.

also they pick up the weather band.

Edit: I see its a gift. When you program the radios you should be able to block out all of the licensing channels. You could also select to only restrict transmitting on those channels, so you'd still be able to use the radio as like a scanner too.
    You have options in the programming. Also you have different antenna options. A big plus! Throw up an antenna in a tree and you've almost just doubled your range.
    good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    No matter what the packaging says, FRS can legally operate only up to 1/2 watt. If you want to stay legal, look for FRS only. And, YES, poeple to get caught using radios without licenses. -- Greg

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    No matter what the packaging says, FRS can legally operate only up to 1/2 watt. If you want to stay legal, look for FRS only. And, YES, poeple to get caught using radios without licenses. -- Greg
    Yes, they will go after people on ham bands, But honestly who is going to go after a 2watt Frs radio? I sure hope they have better things to do than waste time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My experience with GMRS radios (I have a license) is that the distances claimed in the ads is grossly exaggerated. It may happen if you have a 25 mile line of sight or you're over the water with the same, but not "in the real world." I've never been able to use them for more than a 2-3 miles.

The weakness is the shrimpy antennae. With a tall antenna and the same transmitting power, you could get some work done.

They do make great intercoms in your house/on your property, though.

Are there FRS and GMRS repeaters like they have for Ham?

rcp2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Picked up some Cobra radios in a bulk pack for pretty cheap a while back. As with all of them it says it goes really far, but I tried it out in a lightly wooded part of town 2 miles from another Cobra radio and couldn't get through. Has a nice weather radio option on it though. Next time I'll try getting on the roof and see if it reaches.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Camping, hiking, hunting, they allow a communication tough to get anyway else. If SHTF, do you think the "Radio" police will be out in force? Hey, get a license, can't be that expensive and learn something to assist you in the future. Might help you survive.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    You can use your cheap Chinese handheld radios to make an FRS repeater capable of about 5 watts. It's illegal but no one really cares, especially not the FCC. Go to YouTube and search for FRS repeater and you'll find all kind of links. You can trust the safety of your family to these lightweight, low cost, easily replaced junk radios. Just don't make them your only means of communication. You may also want to explore something called NVIS antennas and HF transmitters and receivers used with them.

Even if you don't get a license, you ought to at least buy the books so you know something about radio wave propagation. Good luck!

dit dit

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine

Why would you want to limit yourself to only 5 channels/freqs and only 2 watts??? A quick search found most MURS radios more than some ham radios, so what is the benefit? For a couple hours studying and $14-$16 you can have your ham license, and for less than $100, a radio (while I'm not a fan of the chinese radios, they do have a place).

I know I sound like a 'broken record', but going any route but ham radio, you are really limiting your choices.

-- Greg/Grizhicks, de K9TLA

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

Pop in the 5 MURS frequencies to your scanner and just listen for a few days, oh, and there are NO PRIVATE channels contrary to what that website says. You can figure out the PL tone in about 120 seconds so their claim of communication security is total and utter bullhockey. You guys need to follow Grizhicks advice and learn something about radio and radio wave propagation. Many places offer FREE testing for a Amateur Radio license, and you can study online at several different sites for free.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I put two of the Baofeng radios on my Christmas list and if I don't get them I will buy two myself right after Christmas. Now, do I need to buy the data cable separate or does what I need come with them? Also, are the headsets you can get with them any good or is a different setup recommended?

Thanks

Top Bottom