Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    I learned something surprising to me...

I live in a lower-class area of town; not a ghetto, but lets just say that most of my neighbors are chronically on food stamps and obamaphones and have no intention of getting off either.

i learned that stupid people won't die off in a crisis. They're determined, and they're incredibly good at winging it. Yes, there's a certain subset of lower class that will just wait for their govt to come in and save them, but most of them don't really trust the govt at all; they're just gaming the system (and they'll admit it to your face, right before they also declare that they're entitled to it).

When our power went out on Sunday afternoon, i saw neighbors outside my apt in multiple layers of hoodies and sweatpants, digging out their crappy little compact cars with cookie sheets and scraping the ice off with their credit cards. They heated their apts with candles and said they could melt snow for water. They pooled junk food with each other for the next few days until the grocery stores opened back up.

we may think that our Prepper community will see us through, but the fact is that these lower class ghetto-types already have a survival-minded community to fall back on, and they're used to getting what they want, legal or not.

Quote Originally Posted by nomadicmutt View Post

I live in a lower-class area of town; not a ghetto, but lets just say that most of my neighbors are chronically on food stamps and obamaphones and have no intention of getting off either.

i learned that stupid people won't die off in a crisis. They're determined, and they're incredibly good at winging it. Yes, there's a certain subset of lower class that will just wait for their govt to come in and save them, but most of them don't really trust the govt at all; they're just gaming the system (and they'll admit it to your face, right before they also declare that they're entitled to it).

When our power went out on Sunday afternoon, i saw neighbors outside my apt in multiple layers of hoodies and sweatpants, digging out their crappy little compact cars with cookie sheets and scraping the ice off with their credit cards. They heated their apts with candles and said they could melt snow for water. They pooled junk food with each other for the next few days until the grocery stores opened back up.

we may think that our Prepper community will see us through, but the fact is that these lower class ghetto-types already have a survival-minded community to fall back on, and they're used to getting what they want, legal or not.
    This is why not all of our preps are edible--for those who feel entitled and are determined to get what they want through means legal or otherwise.
    Government and pedophiles both practice buggering those powerless to defend themselves.

I Care...Really

Quote Originally Posted by nomadicmutt View Post

This is so true. Our area is not so over run with those folks you mention but the nearby apts. are rife with them. When we lost power we put up window black out shades so no one knew we had lights. I checked on a few of the neighbors and passed out a few propane catalytic heaters and made some hot apple cider tea for them. Our gennys are near silent where we run them and the battery/inverter system is silent.
    We also go full time OC in these conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by SmileDocHill View Post
    I
    I also learned that being sick during a storm really stinks! I've had the flu and have been bed ridden for the last day. I can't imagine having to get up and deal with a power outage or stoking a fire while being this sick. I really appreciate the luxuries of the modern day when I can't get up to do anything.
    Amen brother! I was sick as a dog. I burrowed in and stayed that way.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyDave1776 View Post
    This is why not all of our preps are edible--for those who feel entitled and are determined to get what they want through means legal or otherwise.
    Amen.

I learned that a cut out for a small generator to run my furnace is needed along with extra K1 and Wicks. We came through fine but I got lucky in a spot or two.

So my grocery list for not gonna happen again is....

Wicks
    Candles
    Extra K1
    Water, I am thinking about stashing a 55 gallon drum in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by BobDaniels View Post
    After that much time at home, i was ready to go back to work.
    I was ready to chew a limb off by Wednesday.... Love em but it was time for daddy to get out of the house!

Quote Originally Posted by MDave View Post
    I learned that a cut out for a small generator to run my furnace is needed along with extra K1 and Wicks. We came through fine but I got lucky in a spot or two.

So my grocery list for not gonna happen again is....

Wicks
    Candles
    Extra K1
    Water, I am thinking about stashing a 55 gallon drum in my garage
    Rather than a 55 gallon drum, a 275 gallon IBC may work better and not cost a lot more by the time you would have to buy a brand new drum and have it shipped. To get one suitable for water storage, you may buy one new or find a used cage and but a new bottle for it.

I buy materials for my Rube Goldberg projects here:

Intermediate Bulk Containers IBC's

Dan Knapp, the salesman with whom I have dealt, is a great guy, very helpful, and understanding of off the beaten path projects. He has sold me two 330 gallon IBC bottles for my future aquaponics project and the steel drums to construct my charcoal-making oven (which is read to go as soon as the wood on the farm dries up such as to be suitable to cook down into charcoal).
    Government and pedophiles both practice buggering those powerless to defend themselves.

That sounds like advice from Chuck Norris.

With the zombies.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast