So, what did this winter storm teach me about my preps?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It may be early yet, but here's what I learned these last couple of days:

1. There is no such thing as too much SEASONED firewood at my place.

2. Keep SEVERAL spare wicks for ALL of my kerosene heaters.
    2a. Even a small amount of water in the kerosene can make a wick unusable.

3. Always check the battery on that generator, even if it does have a plug-in battery minder. (Good thing the pull start worked)

4. If you run out of store-bought suet cakes, you can make them with lard mixed with old cornbread (though the birds prefer the store-bought).

What did you learn?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    That my wife thinks I'm crazy until SHTF.

I have no real "preps" as we "can't afford it" according to her and "we don't need that stuff" ...but now it is a different story..."what will we do if we lose power? we should get a generator. etc..."

Nmathew24

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I know I need to learn how to make french toast. :):

Seriously the storms from November and this week got me thinking about looking more into the HAM raido stuff.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    That although we were lucky enough not to lose power, we were completely unprepared if we did. Going to do some serious research into a small but efficient generator.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I learned that after you move:

1. UNPACK YOUR PREPS in a timely fashion rather than having to run between two or more locations rounding them up out of storage.

2. Comprehensively re-evaluate your needs. My needs living in town, next door to my place of work, hence next door to the shop full of propane heaters, spare tanks, a generator or two, more gasoline than I could conceivably need are much different to living on the farm and discovering that none of those things followed me halfway up the state from Evansville, requiring a marathon shopping trip.

On the positive side, I was well enough equipped that providing for cooking had the power gone out required only buying charcoal (which I hadn't done given that I intend to make my own), needed only a few short-term perishable food items on account of having enough to get by already, and having the mindset to deal with the situation, thus bypassing the 'OMG WTF what am I going to do now?' phase of coming to awareness of the impending problem.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    taught me I am darn good at being prepared. :rockwoot:

I was ready with the kerosene heaters. One to keep the crawl space warm so the pipes didn't freeze and one to keep m y living area so me and the cat were nice and warm. The batteries in the flashlights worked, my lanterns all lit and worked well, adding heat to the mix and I had food enough to stay off the roads (and more) so I could let the workers clear the roads without having to dodge me.

I had a lot of good books to read to keep the boredom off but I still need to teach the cat how to play hearts. That would have been nice to do now and then when I was tired of reading. :)

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    I learned during a thanksgiving camping outing years ago that a capful of wood alcohol per tank of kerosene can absorb and burn off water in the tank.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I learned that I love the snow and cold and my youngest daughter was an Eskimo in a previous life. We've taken an "expedition" each year. When the snow got deep she comes to me and says "dad, I don't think it is going to get any worse so can we go on our hike for this year?" She was waiting for the "bad" weather! LOVE IT! We made a drag out of a sleigh and some 550 cord and we trekked to her friends house to go and play.

I also learned that being sick during a storm really stinks! I've had the flu and have been bed ridden for the last day. I can't imagine having to get up and deal with a power outage or stoking a fire while being this sick. I really appreciate the luxuries of the modern day when I can't get up to do anything.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I learned during a thanksgiving camping outing years ago that a capful of wood alcohol per tank of kerosene can absorb and burn off water in the tank.

I read that somewhere online also, and I tried that with mine and it didn't work. Although it was a spare heater that I didn't really need so I didn't work at it too hard. I keep a good amount of kerosene with my preps and some of it will get several years old before I rotate it out, so I do plan to start adding a bit of alcohol with each tank from now on. This particular heater sat on the floor of my garage all summer with less than a half tank of fuel and I think the condensation did me in. If I'd run it dry last spring like I did my other heaters It probably would have been fine.

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I learned that I need to purchase a pair of ski goggles. Between the wind and the extreme temps, I couldn't wear my glasses and a balaclava at the same time. They would fog up instantly and I couldn't see a thing. Therefore, shoveling with no protection to my eyes, combined with the moisture of my breath, left my eye lashes freezing up. From my brief ebay search I can aquire a pair very cheaply, it was just a piece of gear that I'd never given any thought to due to my lack of ever snow skiing. Likewise, my experience on snowmobiles involved full face helmets, so again, no need for goggles.

Good thread, and great responses too!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

Methyl alchohol (methanol) is the main ingredient in "Heet" additive.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've have it pretty good, and would probably be fine if the power went out (I live in town and would probably be one of the first restored).

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I lack a reasonable method for keeping my house at or very near 70 degrees f when the outside temp drops below 0. My next home will have a full basement and at least 2 buck stoves.

On the other hand, as long as I have electricity, a battery tender + oil pan heater magnet gave me the ability to start my truck when it was -25 degrees f.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    It

2. Keep SEVERAL spare wicks for ALL of my kerosene heaters.
    2a. Even a small amount of water in the kerosene can make a wick unusable.

Funny you should mention wicks ....

Last winter I noticed the wick on my kerosene heater should be replaced. Ordered one on-line and in the spring I started the replacement process, removing the old wick. Evidently the task was interrupted, because Saturday afternoon I decided I would fire up the heater to make sure all was well. Soon discovered that I had removed the wick and had NOT put the new one in. Tore my shop area apart and never did find that new wick. Definitely a little late, but a couple more are now in route. The job will be done completely this time.

Also, need to remember to get additional batteries and can never have too many candles.

Wish list items ... a generator would be nice.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I really need to get a snow blade for my truck. Its been mild for so many years as far as large snow events. I always hired it out. I never gave much thought about it until I had the realization that if I needed to leave in a hurry I would be at the mercy of waiting until someone plowed me out. I hate that feeling of dependence. I will make this a priority to have one for next year.

Top Bottom