• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm way behind on my run schedule, because my major believes it is an unrealistic expectation to clear "side" streets of snow and ice. As such, my street is two goals and a zamboni away from being the city's new hockey arena. This makes it hazardous to walk to the mailbox on the other side of the street, let alone run. So, I decided to do something about it. Given the blizzards and ice we occasionally face, I figured this was a reasonable forum for my review.

The product is called "Due North All Purpose Traction Aids, and I bought them from Amazon here: Amazon.com: Due North Allpurposeng-MED All Purpose Ice Traction Aid, Medium: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I strapped them over my 5.11 winter duty boots:

1743522_582289141853604_1010159959_n.jpg

The bottom:

1606977_582289121853606_83929540_n.jpg

Then I proceeded to run 1.95 miles in them. I was as sure footed as a mountain goat. They stuck to ice that was mirror smooth with a light pool of moisture on top (the slickest of slick ice), they stuck fine to rutted ice, they stuck fine on uneven and lumpy ice. When I crossed a main road that was dry, they weren't slippery feeling like walking on athletic cleats. You could hear the spikes click, though.

They seem to be durable and of high quality. The rubber is thick and tough, and the spikes are tungsten-carbide per the packaging. It comes with two spare spikes in case you lose one.

Getting them on takes a little work, as the rubber is thick and once its on, it doesn't want to move, so make sure you get the toe on straight before strapping on the heel. They stay on the boots just fine on or off your feet.

When not on your boots, they are easy to roll up into a ball slightly smaller than my fist. It'd be easy to store a pair or two in a BUG, glove box, wherever, and then any shoe can instantly be high traction on ice.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Been interested in them for a few years, this is the first year in several that I could actually USE them in my everyday doings. Thanks for the review, I'll grab at least one pair!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have something similar but mine are more of a coil spring set up. Not as aggressive but they are better for the transition indoors. Had no problem on ice with them.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have something similar but mine are more of a coil spring set up. Not as aggressive but they are better for the transition indoors. Had no problem on ice with them.

Sounds like Yak-Trax. Work requires them in icey/snowy conditions and they do work VERY well. They're hell on hardwood floors tough if you forget you're wearing them. I haven't tried running in them, but I'm not exactly a 'runner'.

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    Sounds like Yak-Trax. Work requires them in icey/snowy conditions and they do work VERY well. They're hell on hardwood floors tough if you forget you're wearing them. I haven't tried running in them, but I'm not exactly a 'runner'.

Yep, definitely yaktrax or a knockoff (I assume yaxtrax was first, but very well could be wrong), I own two pair. I had mine and used them a decent amount walking the dog, and bought a pair for my wife. Like the ones reviewed here they are hard to install due to thick rubber. When we got my wife's she was carrying kids to the car and our sidewalk was getting icy. We put them on a spare pair of boots that she wore when she was carrying the kids. Then she could change shoes or take a spare pair with her to change into if there was no ice. She wore them quite a bit.

I do NOT think they are good for running. I haven't run in them much, but on hard pavement / packed ice you CAN run if you have to, but for recreational running I don't think I'd choose to do that. They are GREAT for walking and making sure you don't slip and fall. I don't think they are as likely to scratch up tile or dig into wood, but being metal, you ARE going to scratch the wood up more than likely. I wore them in to stores on multiple occasions and didn't notice scratches, but if you have a tile floor in your entry way I would make sure to stay on a rug if you wear them frequently. I keep my pair in my car winter emergency kit.

We may be getting ice this weekend, maybe I'll go for a run (a couple hundred yards, I'm NOT a runner), but I don't think they are the BEST option for running.

Edit: I wear size 9-10 depending on the shoes. I followed the sizing guide by yaxtrax and they are EASY to fit over tennis shoes, moderate on my normal boots, and fairly hard on the heavy, thick winter boots.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Thanks for the review BBI.
    i was going to ask for a pic without the boot, but i see a pic on the amazon link.
    They kinda blend in on your pics.

But ive added these to my wishlist.
    Now i need some snowshoes.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I have a pair very similar, but they have a wire mesh in the arch as well. They work great, but I need to get a much larger size for my boots now.

Careful walking on any wooden surfaces though.. they WILL tear it up something fierce. Same with linoleum.

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013

:+1: for the Yak-Trax. My wife and I both have a pair. I also got some for my parents several years ago. I have not had to run in them very far, but have for short distances with no problems.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I have some that are similar and they have been used almost daily since the big snowpocalypse on January 5th. They make a big difference sneaking up on bad guys in this weather. Even when the snow was melty in some areas, the occasional sheets of ice due to the melt/freeze have made them worth it. They go on a carabiner on my cold weather gear pack.

irishanimal917

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I use the Yak-Trax on my fire boots at work. I can personally attest to their performance. They are unbelievable in the snow and especially on the ice. They are the difference between walking on ice with patients and not falling or not wearing them and becoming one myself. They give you great stability when trying to carry extrication equipment or pulling heavy hose on ice. When I first saw them I wondered if they were the $20 bucks or not, they were and I buy a pair every 2 years now and keep them in my bag with me on the rig every 3rd day. Kid suggest that everyone have a pair or some similar like shown in the beginning of this thread.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I picked up a pair of Yak trax today at BassPro, $19.95. I put them on my work shoes, and went out in the drive, which has a nice variety of hazardous surfaces, snow, packed snow, and mirror smooth ice. Tried to slide, but couldn't, ran down the drive and didn't slip. I was out there for 10 minutes or so and never came close to busting my ass like I did last night when I went to get something out of my truck, so I'm happy.

I went to the shoe dept at BassPro and looked all over for these things, and finally asked an employee where they were, they didn't have any on display but had a bunch in the storage room for whatever reason.

Top Bottom