Gear Review - Best $40.00 Huge Giant Pack (French Alpine Backpack)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    French Alpine Backpack - Mountain Backpack for French Troops - Keepshooting®

Just received a nearly immaculate, but used, mil-surplus ruck sack. This thing is enormous, about 75-100L I'd guess. I'm using it for bug out gear, but it's a damn fine hiking pack as well. I can't say enough about how nice this thing is and how cheap they are. If you're in the market for a new sack, try one out. Fully adjustable straps, lots of lashing points, rubberized welded bottom, and luxurious padding that rivals that of my $200.00 hiking pack.

The frogs got one thing right when they commissioned this bag into service. Was such a great deal I had to share. Mine even came with a soldier's name sharpie'd on it. Cool factor +1

I also got some of their after-market P22 Mags and they work flawlessly in my Walther. If you got a P22 and need mags, you can't beat them for only $19.00.

beeeman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Looks like a nice pack, good reviews

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion." —Norman Schwartzkopf

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." —General George S. Patton

Raise your right hand if you like the French.... Raise both hands if you are French.

Last edited:

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    I've been looking at backpacks for a while and these are a great value. I just ordered two today.

Thanks for sharing!

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    I for one, would like to know how far you can carry it once you fill it. Remember, it's not the size of the pack, it's what you put in it and COMFORTABLY carry it.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I have yet to hike with it, but i can say that walking around the house and yard with it, the padding is super comfy and had many many fine load adjustment straps. It's absolutely enormous. I'd got all the contents of my previous BOB and still probably have room for a 1mo supply of food. Due to the material of the pack, it's quite heavy hen it's empty. I'd wager it's about 7-8lbs completely empty and dry. As stated before, the bottom of the pack is a rubberized shell type of bottom.

Mine is in flawless condition. Don't get hung up on the fact that it's french. It's a fantastic bag. I've never seen one of comparable size or quality for nearly the same price. I am super happy with my purchase.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I for one, would like to know how far you can carry it once you fill it. Remember, it's not the size of the pack, it's what you put in it and COMFORTABLY carry it.

That would have more to do with how out of shape I am and less to do with how lovely the pack is. Results would vary based on the user and I would certainly not be the person who should advise you on those matters. I'm jsut saying it's an excellent bag. And my comparable experience with large internal framed hiking packs leads me to believe that this unit is an outstanding value in comfort and price.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    WHAT I REALLY MEANT

That would have more to do with how out of shape I am and less to do with how lovely the pack is. Results would vary based on the user and I would certainly not be the person who should advise you on those matters. I'm jsut saying it's an excellent bag. And my comparable experience with large internal framed hiking packs leads me to believe that this unit is an outstanding value in comfort and price.

I wasn't ragging on you about your find or it's value (I also think it's a hell of a buy); I just think a lot of average Joe's ( myself included), let their eyes over extend their actual physical abilities. I know I can no longer hump an 80 pound ruck like i did in my recon days. And I think most people buy a big pack and then think they have to fill it. I guess what i'm really saying is "your know your limits and buy accordingly". Sorry if I offended you.

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Just an fyi, the item I ordered is no longer in stock and they replaced it with a different backpack. I don't have pics of the original item (black/gray) but it looked much modern than what they currently have in stock (green/tan). The product link no longer reflects the same item that the OP is indicating.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    Just an fyi, the item I ordered is no longer in stock and they replaced it with a different backpack. I don't have pics of the original item (black/gray) but it looked much modern than what they currently have in stock (green/tan). The product link no longer reflects the same item that the OP is indicating.

You are correct, that bag is different than what I got. They've updated the image but not product description.

Still looks like a nice bag though. Mine just looks better and more modern. I'm very happy with it.

Top Bottom