Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 4 of 99 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast
    Shooter

User Info Menu

It's one thing to acknowledge possibilities and it's quite another to panic about those possibilities. Even worse than the possibility of Ebola spreading here is the fact that within ten to fifteen years, most antibiotics will be rendered completely irrelevant by bacterial adaptation and resistance. Carbapenem-resistant enterococci and totally-drug-resistant tuberculosis are far more likely threats than ebola. But it's good to be aware of the possibility. As for them flying the American home, they're taking all precautions and doing so in order to give him the best chance of survival, since we have the best healthcare in the world. Isolated ward, and the CDC is co-coordinating his care. Doing so will also provide the chance for further study on the current strain type.
    Last edited by HeadlessRoland; 08-01-2014 at 09:22.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessRoland View Post
    since we have the best healthcare in the world.
    Shhh, don't tell people that. Otherwise we wouldn't need ObamaCare to make it better.
    Necessity is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Scary stuff. Hopefully it doesn't actually *come* here... Bringing people already infected over from Liberia? Dumb. What are they going to do? Get extra-special medical treatment?

Isn't this something that can't be cured and generally has to run it's course? Send them the medical aid they need and leave them where they are. I don't see what moving their location is going to do - not like they're going to undergo some special surgery only capable of being executed here right?

Can anybody explain the reasoning behind bringing them back to the states?
    Yes, but then "running its course" doesn't mean the doctors sit in a corner and take notes, praying the dude doesn't become a zombie. There are all manner of supplemental techniques and medicines intended to support a failing body, but they need competent medical personnel in order to apply them. Setting aside the fact that the best hospital over there cannot hold a candle to ours in terms of stability and safety, the fact that we have bar-none the best docs on the planet with the best equipment on the planet is a very good reason to bring him back to the states.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bradmedic04 View Post
    Keep in mind that a large part of the spread in Africa is caused by a lack of sterile technique, and a public who thinks this is caused by witches. They've been forcing doctors out and kidnapping loved ones from hospitals.

So if it gets here...Don't do that. And of course, always be prepared.
    This ^^^ This is spready easily in 3rd world countries where there is no understanding of sanitation and hygiene. They don't believe in things that can be spread from human to human (or even animal to human) so they go about kissing the bodies of their dead before they are buried and voila, epidemic. Not to mention the health-care is less than desirable. In many cases they can't effectively treat this because of a lack of medical resources. While it's true they have to let it run it's course, better resources would greatly reduce the lethality.

Transfer this same virus to a modern nation that understands how it works and how to avoid it, has top-notch medical care, and a strong desire to not contract it from others and this all becomes overblown paranoia. Watch and see, I'm very skeptical that we will even see a single case of an American contracting it ON American soil.

Of course I could be totally off-base and we're about to all die...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Scary stuff. Hopefully it doesn't actually *come* here... Bringing people already infected over from Liberia? Dumb. What are they going to do? Get extra-special medical treatment?

Isn't this something that can't be cured and generally has to run it's course? Send them the medical aid they need and leave them where they are. I don't see what moving their location is going to do - not like they're going to undergo some special surgery only capable of being executed here right?

Can anybody explain the reasoning behind bringing them back to the states?
    They're bringing him here for the better care and so he can be with family. This latest ebola outbreak has only been ~60% fatal (vs. 90% fatality of previous outbreaks). With good care, its very likely that he will make it through this just fine.

User Info Menu

Proverbium Arrogans Latinum

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stschil View Post
    Scary? Yes, but I don't think it's as scary as what it's made out to be. Call me cynical but, We've heard these roof top screams before, Bird Flu, SARS, H1N1, etc. I didn't line up to be a big pharma pin cushion then and I doubt I will reserve my place in line for this round of 'let's make more money by scaring the bejesus out of people' that is sure to be just around the corner.
    As far as having a bug in, I've been ready for that for quite a while. I could use a vacay.
    Interesting perspective. From what I can tell the talking heads are downplaying the risk. Which is what makes me nervous.
    Never stop burning tin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy19 View Post
    In many cases they can't effectively treat this because of a lack of medical resources. While it's true they have to let it run it's course, better resources would greatly reduce the lethality.
    Couple polite points on this:
    - It is spread in significant numbers among the medical professionals treating the sick. These people may not be as trained as western RNs, LPNs, docs, etc., but they certainly do not believe it is caused by witchcraft. Importantly (at least to me) the IU-trained doctor and the nurse were using full protective gear and still got it. To me, that makes the transmission thing a bigger deal than just being sanitation related.
    - Survival rate remains about 60%. That's still not particularly good by "our" standards.
    - We don't know yet whether "western" medical facilities impact the survival rate, which is a good thing. I'd rather not have this spread to areas served by western facilities.

Just MHO.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

Another masterful headline from AP

Live for yourself, there's no one else more worth living for.
    Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    Couple polite points on this:
    - It is spread in significant numbers among the medical professionals treating the sick. These people may not be as trained as western RNs, LPNs, docs, etc., but they certainly do not believe it is caused by witchcraft. Importantly (at least to me) the IU-trained doctor and the nurse were using full protective gear and still got it. To me, that makes the transmission thing a bigger deal than just being sanitation related.
    - Survival rate remains about 60%. That's still not particularly good by "our" standards.
    - We don't know yet whether "western" medical facilities impact the survival rate, which is a good thing. I'd rather not have this spread to areas served by western facilities.

Just MHO.
    I share your concern. There's always the chance it was contracted when protective gear was not being worn. Either way, there's not a lot of good news from the fact that he got it.

Quote Originally Posted by GPIA7R View Post

Come to the river.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GPIA7R View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 88GT View Post
    Between the open bordors / immigrants , the virusus , HAARP , chemtrails , immigrant in chief , agenda 21 and militarized police , I'm tellin ya we're screwed !

RUN AWAY ! , RUN AWAY !

It isn't serendipity , it's willful genocide .

Page 4 of 99 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast