• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Probably better start planning on a bug in situation if Ebola makes it to the us. There is a serious outbreak going on and so far nothing is being done to protect the American public. Flights are coming and going from African countries like nothing is going on.

Just keep this one in mind while you prep.

Last edited:

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Probably better start planning on a bug in situation if Ebola makes it to the us. There is a serious outbreak going on and so far nothing is being done to protect the American public. Flights are coming and going from African countries like nothing is going on.

Just at keep this one in mind while you prep.

Yep... something's different about this outbreak.

EDIT:
    Here's a page with updated ebola news feeds:
    http://usdipole.com/ncisar/infectious-disease-news/

Last edited:

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Other than isolation, is there anything available for prevention?

Just like anything else, wash your hands, disinfect surfaces, keep away from other people's bodily fluids.

WEB_0728INT_EBOLA_SYMPTOMS.png

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Live shot outside the CDC right now

Bt4_dmYIYAABh0e.jpg:large
    Lol nice!

there isn't much you can do except avoid it. One of the problems with diseases such as this is that your coworker thinks they just don't feel good until they are bleeding from every orifice. Oops now I've contaminated the whole car pool.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Since I don't eat many monkeys or bats, and I am a firm believer in avoiding contact with bodily fluids of people who bleed from every orifice, I don't think I'll head to the bunker just yet.;)

I think the panic a disease like this could generate in the US would be far more destructive than the disease itself.:twocents:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Just read that they've identified a man who made it to Britain and was suspected of having it, but did not.

My understanding is that it can be contagious before the victims are overtly symptomatic.

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My understanding is that it can be contagious before the victims are overtly symptomatic.

Contagious through direct contact with bodily fluids. As a middle aged, married, monogamous guy, my direct contacts with anybody else's bodily fluids are few and far between.;)

Interestingly enough, semen is the bodily fluid that Ebola survives in the longest. There are documented cases of male survivors infecting their mates weeks after all symptoms have disappeared and the virus is not detectible in their blood.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Contagious through direct contact with bodily fluids. As a middle aged, married, monogamous guy, my direct contacts with anybody else's bodily fluids are few and far between.;)
    haha always like a married guy joke. :)

But - you ever catch a cold or flu and can't figure out how you got it? Shake hands with people without washing/disinfecting afterward?

From what I've read, somebody with ebola touches something, transferring their sweat/body oil to it, then you touch it, there's a chance you can get it. That's why there's such a high incidence of medical workers getting it, even with all the precautions. Overlook one safety precaution and the risk increases dramatically.

Like that IU guy. They're almost sure he didn't get it from his work because of all the precautions (honestly, though, I'm skeptical of that claim), but he might've gotten it from somewhere else. That's really scarier. If anyone would be taking all the precautions they could in their "normal" life in the middle of a breakout, it is someone who knows how to take the precautions. Dude still got it.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    TIPS

1. Plywood... You want to board up all first story windows and all doors except 1. (be aware that you have just turned your home into a potential death trap if fire were to break out) The reason to board up the home is: You want to protect your home and belongings from people. A physical barrier is much more of a deterrent than a sign that advertises a non functioning alarm system. The reason to have only one door "openable" is to control the eventual flow of people into and out of the home. Also, if possible use a door that gets the most sunlight throughout the day. A infectious agent that remains viable for days in the shade might only last a few minutes when exposed to direct sunlight.

2. Spray Paint... After boarding up your home you want to use the paint to communicate to the world what you are doing. In plain letter: NO TRESSPASSING... Occupied HOME, No one inside is infected, we do not need help, go away, anyone on property will be considered a threat and will be dealt with immediately. Have fun, the point is you don't want the roaming hoards to even think about entering your home. Another tactic I've personally seen used is to cut a 3" hole in the center of each sheet of plywood. Anyone will automatically assume these are gun ports. And believe me, when break down has occured... a well meaning team of police will just go past your home and move onto the next one. I don't care how many MRAPS and SWAT helmets they are wearing.
    Learn about X-codes

3. BLEACH... I do not know a single living thing that can survive bleach. No other chemical has the versatility of bleach when it comes to disinfection. A tray of bleach should be kept outside your one working door and anyone who comes IN has to walk through the tray. Also a pump-up sprayer of bleach water should be kept near this door to decontaminate any items that are being brought into the home. Also, dead things can be coated in bleach for a fast and dirty decontamination. And worst case scenario, a person can be sprayed with bleach water if they believe they may have come in contact with an infectious agent.

4. Personal Protective equipment...
    N-95 or even better N-100 masks should be worn anytime you are outside the home. Anyone who is not a resident should be made to wear a mask if they come inside.
    Tyvek Suits with hoods... Understand that if you have to go outside for some reason, have a good reason, combine tasks, stay out only long enough to complete tasks and come back in. The tyvek suit will not be allowed back inside. The wearer will strip outside, shoes will be placed in a bag and may be left near the door.
    Gloves, surgical or house cleaning type should be worn when out of the home and thrown away when returning.
    Eye protection... One of the fastest means of infection is through the eyes. Any eye protection is better than none but a purpose built eye shield that wraps around the head is best. If the wearer does not fear any contact with infectious agent, the eye protection may be kept in a bag outside the front door, next to the bag with your shoes.
    Let's say you have none of these things, but someone in your residence HAS to go out for some reason...
    Sunglasses, shredded cloth in several layers wrapped around the mouth and nose, dish washing gloves and a throw away pair of old shoes could be used. The understanding is that the person has to strip NAKED and has to be sprayed with a 10% bleach solution from head to toe upon returning.
    The person needs to air dry outdoors for at least 15 minutes. Also, their clothing should be thrown away (outside) before they are sprayed.

If there is even the most remote possibility that they may have come into contact with a person who is infected, they must go into quarantine for the appropriate amount of time until it can be determined that they are not infected. Quarantined person must wear mask entire time they are in quarantine. They must remain in separate location, until all cleared. If they start to show signs of infection... well that's up to you. As they are probably going to die their best bet would probably be to have them leave and head to a FEMA camp or hospital. (we're assuming society has pretty much collapsed at this point.)

ALL the above mentioned items can be bought at a LOWES or Home Depot.

Last edited:

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    TIPS

1. Plywood... You want to board up all first story windows and all doors except 1. (be aware that you have just turned your home into a potential death trap if fire were to break out) The reason to board up the home is: You want to protect your home and belongings from people. A physical barrier is much more of a deterrent than a sign that advertises a non functioning alarm system. The reason to have only one door "openable" is to control the eventual flow of people into and out of the home. Also, if possible use a door that gets the most sunlight throughout the day. A infectious agent that remains viable for days in the shade might only last a few minutes when exposed to direct sunlight.

2. Spray Paint... After boarding up your home you want to use the paint to communicate to the world what you are doing. In plain letter: NO TRESSPASSING... Occupied HOME, No one inside is infected, we do not need help, go away, anyone on property will be considered a threat and will be dealt with immediately. Have fun, the point is you don't want the roaming hoards to even think about entering your home. Another tactic I've personally seen used is to cut a 3" hole in the center of each sheet of plywood. Anyone will automatically assume these are gun ports. And believe me, when break down has occured... a well meaning team of police will just go past your home and move onto the next one. I don't care how many MRAPS and SWAT helmets they are wearing.
    Learn about X-codes

Oh brother....

Disinfectant and PPE yes.....

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Oh brother....

Disinfectant and PPE yes.....
    Yeah, I though the plywood and spray paint was a little over the top. Save that effort for the homes that are abandoned and/or contaminated.

It'll be nasty for a short time as very, very few people in America have ever had to deal with a highly infectious, fatal disease and will likely ignore the quarantine and safety precautions, but eventually people will realize this isn't a movie.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thing is, with North American standards for indoor plumbing and sewage disposal, it will be very hard for Ebola, which also requires intimate contact, to spread. Just follow my example. Stay at home, live like a recluse, surf the Internet all day.

but eventually people will realize this isn't a movie.
    Great. Now, I want to go watch Contagion again.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Only a few years ago our government stated that Ebola would never come to the United States or spread worldwide because of the period of latency in the disease. I always called BS on this for the fact that should someone ever want to spread something like this they easily could. Plus, should the virus ever mutate to become airborne then it's game over for a lot of people. For those thinking they will just avoid bodily fluids, as T. Lex pointed out the virus can be transmitted via sweat and skin oils, so that can be more dangerous than other typical instances of spreading via bodily fluids.

Of course, I've always speculated that we're all just one rapidly spreading virus away from a mass casualty event but sitting here in my bunker behind my computer there's not much I can do, so I'm going to eat another bag of Cheetos and not worry about it.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Stupid I feel,bad for them and there family but why bring it to this country on purpose? I hope they keep all involved quarantined until all is done. This is some scary stuff to me.

Top Bottom