• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    So, like a complete and total noob, I caved in and got a BaoFeng to play with. Due to my legal restrictions I'm using it as a receiver/scanner. (not licensed and well aware that I cannot put the big button on the side.)

That said, I'd really like to get some good chirp files from someone. Just to see what's out there. Maybe some of you know of a good local HAM broadcast. I'm just excited to listen to anything at this point.

My local police and fire all seem to be on the Indiana SAFE system. My reading lead me to believe that this is a digital trunking system and that my little radio won't pickup any of the police chatter. I'd love to be told otherwise though. I wanna hear some car chases.

Try not to bust my balls too hard, everyone has to start somewhere. Any help or advice is welcomed. I'm off to study for the tech exam. So many new acronyms, so little time.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    So, like a complete and total noob, I caved in and got a BaoFeng to play with. Due to my legal restrictions I'm using it as a receiver/scanner. (not licensed and well aware that I cannot put the big button on the side.)

That said, I'd really like to get some good chirp files from someone. Just to see what's out there. Maybe some of you know of a good local HAM broadcast. I'm just excited to listen to anything at this point.

My local police and fire all seem to be on the Indiana SAFE system. My reading lead me to believe that this is a digital trunking system and that my little radio won't pickup any of the police chatter. I'd love to be told otherwise though. I wanna hear some car chases.

Try not to bust my balls too hard, everyone has to start somewhere. Any help or advice is welcomed. I'm off to study for the tech exam. So many new acronyms, so little time.

RadioReference should list the frequencies being used in your area:
    Indiana Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
    Click on your county

Here's the Indiana ham repeater listings:
    Indiana Amateur and GMRS radio repeaters

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Good links from Justus....

Listen to 146.70- probably one of the busiest repeater freqs in central Indiana. 146.97 is the "2 meter" Skywarn frequency for Marion county and will get inputs from all over the state during bad weather. Volunteer hams provide observations of weather conditions. Very useful. You probably have 70cm/440 on that little radio as well- lots of activity on those repeaters as well.

Amateur radio- great hobby with many different levels and paths within the hobby. Something for everyone- operating FM, digital, HF (talk around the world!), building kits, antennas, mobile operating.

Join in the fun!

PappyD. Aka KG9KF

MechTech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    New Pal, IND
    In New Pal, you can still listen to Fire/EMS. They haven't moved to Trunking yet. Also Richard has a CHIRP file if you want to use what the rest of us are using. Good luck studying for your test. Also checkout Shortwave radio

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    I'm a total noob too on this subject, but getting more interested. Can ask what model of BaoFeng did you buy? I'll only be listening to start...any accessories needed? Thanks

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Well if you can translate the manual, then supposedly yes. Not very easy but it can be done.

I think a new ham may be better off with an actual ham transceiver at first instead of these Baofengs.
    Alinco has an entry level dual-band for around $120.00.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I just picked up the baofeng bf-f8+ and am looking forward to taking the tech test in a couple of weeks. Amateur radio is a cool hobby. You can get as much or as little out of it as you want. I have enough hobbys so I'll probably stick to the little. :D

I chose the baofeng based on reviews and you can't beat the price. I didn't see much that the Alinco can do that the baofeng can't but I'm a noob. As much as I travel, I wanted something that would allow me to hear what's going on around me no matter where I am.

Good luck OP

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I chose the baofeng based on reviews and you can't beat the price. I didn't see much that the Alinco can do that the baofeng can't but I'm a noob. As much as I travel, I wanted something that would allow me to hear what's going on around me no matter where I am.

Good luck OP

Good luck with that. It is a cheap introductory radio, no doubt. It's not a very good one though, not very durable, and they have a lot of out of the box failures...but it is cheap, and handy. I wouldn't trust my life on one, unless that was all I had. So enjoy it, I think you'd be better off getting your license and buying a full function portable scanner....but those aren't $39.95

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Good luck with that. It is a cheap introductory radio, no doubt. It's not a very good one though, not very durable, and they have a lot of out of the box failures...but it is cheap, and handy. I wouldn't trust my life on one, unless that was all I had. So enjoy it, I think you'd be better off getting your license and buying a full function portable scanner....but those aren't $39.95

Yep, you will need that license to have a scanner in your vehicle.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I got the gen 2 BF-F8. I also got a better whip antenna and an extra large battery. You can program it completely without a computer, but the buttons are tiny and the menu sucks. Also, buy the $20.00 USB cable and not the cheap $6.00 cable. The $20.00 cable has the better FTDI UART chipset in it that is plug-n-play with any PC. You can toss the driver CD in the trash, you won't need it.

Radio
    Amazon.com : BaoFeng BF-F8 2nd Gen UV-5R Dual-Band 136-174/400-520 MHz FM Ham Two-Way Radio Transceiver : Frs Two Way Radios : Car Electronics

Antenna
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUDU1V8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cable
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUB0ONK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LX Battery
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATTVKFQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Yep, you will need that license to have a scanner in your vehicle.

Yes, understood and I'm glad you brought it up in this thread.

Thanks. I think it's a great entry point into the hobby. Almost a thousand reviews on amazon and closer to 5 stars than 4 and not many folks complaining about out of the box problems so hopefully neither myself or the OP will be afflicted with problems.

I'm sure if I do get into the hobby more I'll go nuts with it (as I normally do with hobbies) and end up dropping thousands of bucks on it (cash never credit! credit bad). Come to think of it, I'll bet my wife is rooting for the Baofeng to fail too.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I got the gen 2 BF-F8. I also got a better whip antenna and an extra large battery. You can program it completely without a computer, but the buttons are tiny and the menu sucks. Also, buy the $20.00 USB cable and not the cheap $6.00 cable. The $20.00 cable has the better FTDI UART chipset in it that is plug-n-play with any PC. You can toss the driver CD in the trash, you won't need it.

Radio
    Amazon.com : BaoFeng BF-F8 2nd Gen UV-5R Dual-Band 136-174/400-520 MHz FM Ham Two-Way Radio Transceiver : Frs Two Way Radios : Car Electronics

Antenna
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUDU1V8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cable
    Amazon.com : Genuine FTDI BaoFeng Programming Cable for UV-82 / BF-F8HP / BF-F8+ / GT-3 / UV-5R Models : Electronics

LX Battery
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATTVKFQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I picked up the same radio and I had a question on the antenna. I know the duckie sucks and will need to replace it. I looked at the antenna you posted but noticed it only goes to 430Mhz whereas the radio goes to 530Mhz IIRC. Does that matter?

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy

Radio

Antenna
    Amazon.com : Hypario® X Nagoya 771 DUAL BAND 144/430Mhz SMA-F UV Ham Radio Antenna for Kenwood TYT BAOFENG UV-82 UV-B5 UV-B6 GT-3 BF-F8 UV-5RA UV-5RC UV-5RE UV-5R+ series : Car Electronics

Cable
    Amazon.com : Genuine FTDI BaoFeng Programming Cable for UV-82 / BF-F8HP / BF-F8+ / GT-3 / UV-5R Models : Electronics

LX Battery
    Amazon.com: Baofeng 7.4v 3800mAh Li-ion Battery for UV-5R UV-5R-L BF-F8 BF-F8+ BF-F9 by ExpertPower®: Sports & Outdoors

Another $25 and you could have had an Alinco without the headaches

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    I picked up the same radio and I had a question on the antenna. I know the duckie sucks and will need to replace it. I looked at the antenna you posted but noticed it only goes to 430Mhz whereas the radio goes to 530Mhz IIRC. Does that matter?

It should be fine for 2m and 70cm ham. You won't have any reason to transmit above 467 MHz (GMRS) and that antenna seems to have good reviews by GMRS users.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Just PM me I will send you a programming file for your area, and walk you through programming it. You have to use an outdated driver to get many of the prolific chipsets in the cables to work correctly. I was thinking of having hosting another comms class anyhow remotely and this would give me some practice on helping you program yours via skype or teamviewer.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom