• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I don't know how most people do this but I thought I would get a couple snow tires for the wives Rogue. It didn't do very well last year in the snow with all weather tires on it. So I thought we will put snow tires on it.

I went to the junk yard to pick up a couple of steel rims. Get this, they wanted $170 a peace for them. We are not talking fancy rims, just plain old steel rims that you cover up with hub caps. So I stopped by a parts place and was given a $240 price for each new. I was shocked. I told him I could pick up alloy rims for around a $100 each and he said he knew.

I guess I will just have the tire store put them on and off the rims I have per the season we are in. I had no idea steel rims were so costly.

Has anyone ran into this. What did you do?

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I'm sure you could find them cheaper or even a aftermarket set of rims for a decent price. Maybe 2-4 hundred. Check out tirerack.Com and get an idea of aftermarket prices. Then you can always search ebay or craigslist.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    As I said in my first post I can get alloy rims for around $100 each. I would need 6. That would be $600 plus for rims. Four for the all weather tires and 2 for snow tires. I have four steel rims on the car now and was looking to buy 2 more steel ones. At this point I have not found any place that sells a steel rim that fits the Rogue for a reasonable price. The tire size for it is P215 70 16. So it is a 16" rim. Still I had no idea they cost that much.

Tire rack was the first place I went to and they don't sell steel rims for the Rogue.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    last year I bought a set of tire chains for the first time. I was able to make it home several times past 4x4's that were stranded or sliding backwards down the hill as I passed them in a 2wd corrolla. Best investment I've made in a long time. This year I'll get some for my wife's car and my son's. They were about $30 on ebay.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Craigslist is where I would go hunting rims and even tires. I found a set of 235-50/17 Goodyear Eagle Sports for my Eclipse in brand new condition (still had flashing) and only paid $200. Someone probably pulled them to install a set of big rims and tires. Now I just need to find some 31x10.50's for my Dakota with at least half tread...

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I've had good luck buying tires on ebay. Make sure the seller on ebay has several pictures of the tires and not just a stock photo.
    Not sure where you are, but pick or pull a part are cheap on wheels... I'm fairly sure the junkyard in Maxwell (north of Greenfield) is reasonable on rims.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    check with the tire rack in south bend. sometimes they sell the tires and wheels as a pre-assembled package for one price. no mounting of tires or balancing them its already done.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Buy four(4) snow tires! Put together a wheel/tire package on TireRack and drive up to South Bend and pick them up.

Well first off let me state that your wife will love snow tires. I have some on my RSX (Civic) and it handles better than the Jeep I used to have with crappy all weather tires. I drove every day last winter that it was legal up here in northern Indiana.

...I would need 6. That would be $600 plus for rims. Four for the all weather tires and 2 for snow tires...

If you are buying just two(2) snow tires you only really need two(2) rims. Just get them close style wise, they do not have to match perfectly.

That being said when I was shopping for snow tires my original plan was to buy just two(2) snow tires for the front wheel drive. All the experts (tire sellers as well as actual drivers) told me to get four(4) snow tires with rims. Remember that just like four wheel drive, driving in snow is as much about control and stopping as it is about pushing the gas and going forward. With four snow tires you supposedly have better control when braking and turning and having been through a few winters I think I agree. In addition, by putting on all four snow tires you extend the life of your summer tires by giving all four summer tires a few months off. It is also nice to have tires mounted on rims and ready to bolt on. Last year I put my snow tires on as the first snow of the year was falling.

Your original plan:
    $600 for six rims
    $300 for two snow tires
    $___ for mounting four all season tires
    $800 TOTAL

Four snow tires:
    $400 for four rims
    $600 for four snow tires
    $1,000 TOTAL

Figure in the extra cost of a deductible if you have an accident or the cost of missing a day of work if you don't get the snow tires and the marginal cost is not that much different. Plus you extend the life of your summer tires.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I am retired and money is tight for us as it is with many American homes at this time. I don't have $600 for rims let alone $1000 for tires and rims. The cheapest way for me to go is to just have the tire people bust them on and off the rims I have as needed for the season that we are going through. Thanks for all the input.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    As I said in my first post I can get alloy rims for around $100 each. I would need 6. That would be $600 plus for rims. Four for the all weather tires and 2 for snow tires. I have four steel rims on the car now and was looking to buy 2 more steel ones. At this point I have not found any place that sells a steel rim that fits the Rogue for a reasonable price. The tire size for it is P215 70 16. So it is a 16" rim. Still I had no idea they cost that much.

Tire rack was the first place I went to and they don't sell steel rims for the Rogue.

There is more to it that just a 16 inch rim right? bolt pattern offset can be the difference in a usable rim and one that is not.

Then again it depends on what you consider cheap and or expensive. I see 200 dollars for 2 rims as a good deal, another 50-150 (new or used) for some shoes and you have a good deal. Around me its about $10-$15 to mount and balance per tire. I would also consider not just buying two snow tires only but a set of 4 instead. What are you looking to get out of the two tires and it is also recommended that you put the new tires on the rear of the car not the front.

Last edited:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Brandon thanks for the information. I just ordered two rims from Discount Tires Direct. They had them for $65 each and free shipping. That is way better than $170 used or $240 new from AutoZone. Thanks all for your help.

tatic05 the Rogue is front wheel drive so I will be putting them on the front.

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    last year I bought a set of tire chains for the first time. I was able to make it home several times past 4x4's that were stranded or sliding backwards down the hill as I passed them in a 2wd corrolla. Best investment I've made in a long time. This year I'll get some for my wife's car and my son's. They were about $30 on ebay.

I was going to suggest tire chains. I've seen prices from $70-$300 for a pair. Do you happen to know your brand and model? $30 for a set that works is pretty good.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I use to put tire chains on garden tractors so people could use their snowblower/blade attachments. To do it right, we jacked the rear up, deflated the rear tires (removed valve stem), put chains on as tight as humanly possible then re-inflate.
    Having never put on car chains, is it a similar procedure?

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    My wife and I put BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A's on her Roque last fall before winter and it good in almost all snow (it didn't like uphill starts, but it isn't a true 4wd like my Jeep is). This is my new "snow tires" which are also my summer tires and mud tires and tires that cost about 70% what I paid for my Jeep.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I never got around as well in my 2 wheel drive GMC p.u. as when I got dedicated snow tires. Get studs put in them as well and go anytime. Like others have said, keep looking for rims at the price you want to pay. Go ahead this season and put the tires on your stock rims while you find a bargain on rims for the snow tires.

Top Bottom