• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Hey, I am interested in getting started in HAM. I do not know the first thing. I know that the Baofeng's are some good and cheap radios. I know there is a test to take to be certified. Beyond that I am pretty stinking ignorant.

I do not want to jump in and get all super geeky and stuff. I mainly want to be able to communicate with a group that is fairly close and possibly within 30 miles or less with a Beofeng UV-5R (or variant). Is that possible?

I would also like to be able to know what is going on in the world if there is a huge disaster (possibly with larger antenna at home).

Can anyone point me to a site geared to getting the uneducated started. I am not super interested in getting super deep, though I realize I may need to if I have to.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Unfortunately, there is no "easy" way to get into ham without getting somewhat geeky. There is a test you have to take to get a basic Tech class license. This requires basic electronics knowledge and memorization of the rules for the class. You can check the ARRL website for info. That little Baofeng will probably let you hit the nearest repeater if it's within a few miles.....and that will let you reach out to everyone in the area. BUT, if the repeater is taken out.....that little radio isn't going to do much more than receive whomever hasn't been wacked by a disaster.

If you want a little more reliability and range, a radio designed for mobile (automobile) use will have more power AND be able to be run off of a 12 volt marine battery. A nice magnetic mount antenna or a base station antenna will also let you get out and touch someone. Those little HTs (handheld transceiver) just don't have the power to get out more than 2-3 miles.

Last edited:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

There are three classes of ham radio license in America right now. Technician, General, and Extra. Get a copy of a Tech class license exam prep manual published by the ARRL and dig in. If that seems too "geeky" for you, you definitely won't want to explore General or Extra territory.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I know I will need to get a little geeky with it. I am just not wanting to get sucked in too much. I have enough of those hobbies. Thanks for the above and any continued input. For the record, I do not consider 'geeky' a derogatory term. As a former band geek and a data geek full time, I am OK calling myself a geek.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    If I can ask a relevant but different question too, I would appreciate it. I see the stuff out there to program the radios. Why is this? What is there to program? Is it pre-set channels and stuff? What does it do and why do you need it?

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    If you know anything about electronics, the Technician license is easy. Just brush up on the FCC rules and you have it. General and Extra used to require code (i.e. Morse Code) but they dropped that a while back. So you just have to pass more advanced electronics questions.

If you don't know anything about it, there are good study materials and you just need to memorize some stuff. It's not all that hard even for the non-technical. The main difference between the different license classes is what you can do and where in the frequencies you can do it. Extra class HAMs have the most options. But if you're interest is in handheld/repeater operations (i.e "rag chewing") then the Tech license will get you on the air.

Just a warning, you can buy a Baofeng without a license but DO NOT press the transmit button. You can listen all you want but operating without a license is serious business. The FCC can and does levy serious fines for people who operate illegally. And it's not that difficult to track down illegal transmitters. In fact some HAMs actually have "hidden transmitter hunts" as an operating exercise.

I hope that didn't discourage you. HAM radio can be a lot of fun. I've been an Amateur Extra for 20 years or so. Yes, I did pass the code test but have never operated CW. Just not my thing. I've done the most with PSK31 on low-power (i.e under 1 Watt) on 20m.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    If I can ask a relevant but different question too, I would appreciate it. I see the stuff out there to program the radios. Why is this? What is there to program? Is it pre-set channels and stuff? What does it do and why do you need it?

The Baofeng radios (and I have a couple of them) can be programmed from the keyboard but it's tedious. You can plug them into a PC and program the frequencies you are interested in a lot quicker that way. They are what they are, inexpensive and pretty simple but they do work. Not a Kenwood or Yaesu but you can buy 10 Baofeng's for the price of one Kenwood.

Glock Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    For a little more money you can get an AnyTone AT-3318UV. Seems to perform better than the Baofengs I own. If you decide to stick with the Baofeng please consider upgrading the stock antenna that comes with that radio. It leaves alot to be desired. Of course, once you get hooked you'll want to get an Icom! let the opinion wars begin! ; )

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Just set your Baofeng up to use the SO-50 amateur satellite and you can cover huge distances! Kidding that is full on geek.

All good info above. Think of the Baofeng as short distance field use, or county wide if you are using a repeater. I can get 20 miles with them using my roof antenna to another buddy but we are line of sight. I always start with minimal equipment and work up. Test with an HT, see if that meets my needs, then add better higher antenna, test again, then go to a mobile radio test and so on.

If you want a comprehensive group comm plan just take my class, you and your family can legally use your Baofengs by using my business call sign. If you are just interested in adding radios start taking the online tests for the exam.

The radios do not have channels, it is just a big dial like on a stereo you have to tell it where to go and what settings. Easier to do this with software vs tiny keypad.

I would start with a Baofeng, and a decent SW radio like the Tescun 660.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Thanks for the help. As I am not well versed on the matter, and a jumping off point is very helpful!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    If you want a little more reliability and range, a radio designed for mobile (automobile) use will have more power AND be able to be run off of a 12 volt marine battery. A nice magnetic mount antenna or a base station antenna will also let you get out and touch someone. Those little HTs (handheld transceiver) just don't have the power to get out more than 2-3 miles.

This is usually my advice. Used rigs can be found pretty cheap, and new ones aren't terribly expensive. A mobile unit can be installed in your vehicle or you can use a battery or 12V supply in the house. It's a little more start-up cost than the handheld, but a handheld is pretty limiting, if for no other reason than the little antennas on them are just horrible.

If you don't want to do a mobile unit, then a HT + a magmount antenna + cookie sheet for ground plane will make a tremendous difference. But then you're always dealling w/ dead/weak batteries, hard to program, tiny buttons, aweful speakers, etc. I think more folks would stick w/ it or get into it if their first experience wasn't an HT.

:twocents:

For something like $600 I got a good dual band mobile unit, a good antenna for the attic and a decent mag mount for the car, and a 12V supply, all new stuff. My farthest 2m-band contact was something like 350 miles point to point (no repeater, and of course that's unusual weather condition; typically can get into repeaters in the 20-50 mi range, weather depending). I can't even hit my local repeaters reliably w/ my HT.

I do have an HT that I bought off a co-worker really cheap, but seldom use it. If I felt compelled to use it more, I could set up my mobile unit as a cross-band repeater to get my HT to the repeaters...

as for the test, this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Technician-20...ywords=gordon+west+amateur+technician+2011-15
    will teach you everthing you need to know in simple terms, AND includes ALL of the questions you could be asked on the test. IIRC, You don't need more than middle-school algebra.

online, you can find lots of sample example tests to take/re-take until you are confident. It's really pretty easy. An hr a night for a couple weeks and you should be ready. If you are even slightly technical, the rules are the hardest part.

-rvb

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    I took Sailor's class two years ago. Best move I made for getting into HAM. I have since got my ticket and upgraded equipment. One really cool thing about the class that Sailor puts on is the support you get after the class. I just took the web class again and learned a little but the Skype group support rocks. Real time questions and answers. All this two years after I paid to take his class. He helped me get the basics to build on, and no, he is not paying me to say this. Lol Unless he offers. :dunno:

briand212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Putnam County IN
    Thanks for the help. As I am not well versed on the matter, and a jumping off point is very helpful!

look up your local Ham club. many of them have free classes and they will walk you thru everything you need to know. They are also full of people with an amazing amount of knowledge!

I started with a cheap boafeng I got off Amazon dirt cheap.. I still use it.. but have also upgraded to a good mobile I am currently using as a base station.

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    One more opinion. Get one of those technician class study guide books, and the test is easy after that. Local radio clubs offer classes for the different level licenses. I did both and discovered that the book would have been sufficient on its own.
    You can get a UV5R radio plus antenna for just over $50. You don't have to have the license if you are just going to listen. I listen to the guys in my area most mornings just for entertainment. You can also get the Chirp program (free download) and set up your radio to go through local repeaters. Chirp is not very difficult to work with either.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    If you have a smart phone, there is an app for that. I say this because you always have your phone with you so you can do a quick study session any time anywhere. The tests are taken from a question pool, and the pool is required to have 10 times more questions than you will test on. If you take a 100 question test, then there must be 1000 in the pool for them to choose from. Fortunately, there are about 30, so study the 300 or at least read them and you will do fine. Many are common sense, so they will not need to be studied. You can practice taking the test over and over on your phone until you get passing scores then go take the real thing.

Question Pools

For those taking the tech (the lowest license that covers shorter range radio's) the questions are still good for a few more years.

Anyone thinking of taking the General class (the next level up that gets you into longer range radio's) the question pool changes around July this year. Either pass it, or just wait for the new pool and start studying those.

For you Android guys - this app is great for the job. It's also free. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iversoft.ham.test.prep&hl=en

As to the radio's, the BaoFeng UV5R Dual-Band Two-Way Radio is only $28 on Amazon and other places. I'm sure it's a good handy talky (HT). Even if it isn't as refined
    as the other brands like Icom or Kenwood, for $30 it's a good one to loan in a severe emergency where the rules no longer apply, take places you might damage or lose it, etc.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Always make sure you are using the latest daily build of Chirp, every time you program radios. Or be prepared for possible firmware issues.

Chirp is easy, getting the right drivers with cheap programming cables working can be a pain.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom