opinions on the edibility or lack thereof of the seagull....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    near my home there is a small strip mall and there are hundreds of seagulls that hang about in the parking lot, i guess they think the black top is water or something. these birds are fearless i learned as i tossed a bit of broken cracker and nearly 30 birds landed well within arms length to get a tasty morsel. i noticed that some of these birds looked quite plump and came close enough that if I really tried I could just grab them by hand and that leads me to the question....

can you eat a seagull?

has anyone here heard of such a notion? how would the birds taste? is there much meat or is it all fluff? is it safe? what do they taste like? anyone got a good seagull recipe?

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I just want to clarify, i am not looking to start eating seagulls in the local parking lots as a recreational thing. I am mearly speculating here....if basic services (food, water, medical, law enforcement...) are interrupted for an extended period of time or break down permanently could i could i catch and eat seagulls without ill effects.

plus....any bird tastes fine with a bit of Frank's Red Hot

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Properly cooked, all birds are theoretically edible. I would cook to an internal temperature of 175 degrees F.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have seen old immigrant women carry a cloth bag to Daley plaza and sit on the benches slowing feeding pigeons. As the pigeons get closer, the old women will bag one, and carry it home in the sack. That is a protein source for people like that. I'll bet the seagulls will be an ok food source.

Bull

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Jennings County
    I was thinking the same thing about sand cranes, last month there were thousands of them in my area just passing through. I was told they are protected and that they don't taste good but ......................................

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Every shipwrecked sailor I've read, would rather starve than eat a sea gull. There's not much and it tastes god awful.

This.

As a kid I spent a lot of time on the ocean boating and fishing. Most of the old captains we went out with would say the same thing. If I ever got stranded at sea I'd do everything I could to catch a fish before I even thought about trying to get a gull.

I've seen the garbage those things eat. If I were to ever consider eating one in a survival situation it would be a last, last, last resort.

That said, If you were able to prepare one properly (deep fried) it probably wouldn't be too awful.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm pretty sure this was meant in jest, but for those who may not already know it, all birds of prey in the U.S., including all species of seagull, are protected.
    That also includes vultures (yeah, who would even consider it), hawks, eagles, owls, falcons, kites, and even storks, egrets, herons, and cranes.

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    This.

As a kid I spent a lot of time on the ocean boating and fishing. Most of the old captains we went out with would say the same thing. If I ever got stranded at sea I'd do everything I could to catch a fish before I even thought about trying to get a gull.

I've seen the garbage those things eat. If I were to ever consider eating one in a survival situation it would be a last, last, last resort.

That said, If you were able to prepare one properly (deep fried) it probably wouldn't be too awful.

Yet it is common place for chickens to eat their own poop and anything else they can swallow. People still eat chicken without complaints. Catfish eat a lot of nasty crap too but they also have a strong fan base.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I'm pretty sure this was meant in jest, but for those who may not already know it, all birds of prey in the U.S., including all species of seagull, are protected.
    That also includes vultures (yeah, who would even consider it), hawks, eagles, owls, falcons, kites, and even storks, egrets, herons, and cranes.

The seagull is a bird of prey?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Reference here:
    Eddie Rickenbacker and Six Other People Survive a B-17 Crash and Three Weeks Lost in the Pacific Ocean

" At that point it seemed they would need a miracle to save them. They held prayer meetings and sang hymns to keep their spirits up. On the eighth day, events took a dramatic turn. After the afternoon prayer service, Rickenbacker was lying on his back with his hat pulled down over his face when something landed on it — a sea gull. Rickenbacker slowly reached up, clamped his fingers around the gull's legs and held on tight, then wrung its neck and stripped its feathers. He carved it up, divided the meat into equal shares and kept the intestines for bait. It did not matter to the men that the meat was raw and tough and tasted fishy. They ate all of it, including the bones."

Top Bottom