Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

cast iron cookware

We are looking to get into cast iron cookware for outdoor cooking. We have a couple pieces but we're ready to get serious about learning the art of cast iron cooking! Feel free to use this thread for any discussion but first I have a few questions .

Where do you buyyiur cast ironequip?

Is there a big difference in quality across the products/brands out there?

Anything to avoid?

Any must haves for a beginner in cast iron?

Thanks for your help

User Info Menu

We use Lodge Logic, although the new stuff isn't quite as good as what they used to make.

User Info Menu

Good cast iron will be nearly glass smooth on the cooking surface. Most newer stuff is cast more roughly and has an almost pitted surface.
    If you’re free you’ll never see the walls.

User Info Menu

I have bought several pieces of Lodge Logic and love it. Amazon runs specials on it every so often where you can get a set for about $65 and they have free shipping on it. It is hard to beat that kind of deal! This the set I got for $65. They run that deal fairly often so it may be worth waiting to see if it goes on sale in the near future before ordering.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L5HS3-Pr...ware+cast+iron
    L.F.F.L.

Follow my son's journey as he travels Europe for the next year on this thread.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/break-...adventure.html or by reading his blog at www.sketchytravels.com

Plinker

User Info Menu

I've seen the lodge logic around Rural King and whatnot. I wondered if it was a poorer quality, suceptible to breaking or being more difficult to cook with?

I like that set mom45 but I was hoping for a larger oven for roasting our chickens and young turkeys in. I haven't seen a big lodge logic on the shelf locally and afraid to buy online sight-unseen.

I meant I haven't seen a big lodge logic DUTCH OVEN on the she
    ff.
    Last edited by Roadie; 05-28-2015 at 23:17.

User Info Menu

Lodge makes great stuff. So does Tramontina if you want purdy colors and/or enameled cast iron (doesn't need seasoning!) We have a large enameled skillet and a HUGE enameled dutch oven. Use them both often.

Whatever you get - season it well.

The Truth About Cast Iron Pans: 7 Myths That Need To Go Away | Serious Eats

EXCELLENT write-up on proper seasoning: Sheryl's Blog » Blog Archive Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning: A Science-Based How-To
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

We get ours from antique stores, second-hand stores, tractor shows and flea markets. Smooth surface is better than any texture.

They usually have to be de-rusted and reseasoned, but that's not hard.
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

“There's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.” - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

Master

User Info Menu

I comb the local thrift shops, always looking for Lodge or other US made cast iron goods...also hit as many garage sales as I can when out and about...last summer we got a 12 qt enameled dutch oven at a garage sale for $10...it's a Food Channel branded piece that costs $110 new online...SCORE. Lodge is a great brand, good stuff. Avoid ANY AND ALL Asian made cast iron.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Tac-Fat, you just saved me some more questions!!! Awesome info.

I have a lodge logic burger press all rusted up, going to try to get it reseasoned using this advice.

I never find deals at yardsales except for yard nomes and the such.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ward250 View Post
    I've seen the lodge logic around Rural King and whatnot. I wondered if it was a poorer quality, suceptible to breaking or being more difficult to cook with?

I like that set mom45 but I was hoping for a larger oven for roasting our chickens and young turkeys in. I haven't seen a big lodge logic on the shelf locally and afraid to buy online sight-unseen.
    I can fit a pretty good sized chicken in that dutch oven from the set I got. I don't know about a turkey, but chickens that are 5 to 6 pounds are no problem.
    L.F.F.L.

Follow my son's journey as he travels Europe for the next year on this thread.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/break-...adventure.html or by reading his blog at www.sketchytravels.com

Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast