• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    Hope this is allowed here, couldn't make it through the seemingly endless pages of "my God can beat up your God" to verify.

Anyhow, within the bible there seems to be many times where prepping is encouraged and many where it is discouraged. What are your thoughts INGO? Prefer if you can back it up with quotes.

Non Christian opinions welcomed as well, just back it up with quotes please (we all aren't educated on all religions)

Can we please keep the there is/isn't a (insert deity here) in the break room threads

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I think anyone that doesn't prep is silly. Even if you are just prepping enough to cover your ass for a week or two...it makes sense to be prepared. I have Mormon friends that keep a 1yr supply of food on hand. To them it is very normal and something they were trained to do at a very early age. Sorry..you asked what INGOers thought, so I have no quotes or scriptures.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    LUKE : Chapter 22 : Verse 36........Then he said unto them. "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

Last edited:

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    Just to provide a voice of dissent (I think it's silly to be completely unprepared as well)

Matthew 6: 25-34
    25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life ?

28“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There are times when God wanted to teach a lesson of faith and asked people to rely upon him to understand that they could. Exodus 16:13-20; Matthew 6:25-34.

There are times when God wanted to teach lessons of wisdom, planning and saving. Genesis 41:33-36; The aforementioned Proverbs 21:20.

There is no contradiction. The "default" position to to save prudently and provide for yourself and family....and be generous to the poor and the foreigner. However, in times of difficulty, we should faithfully rely upon God and not fret.

Above all, keep God, God and treat money as a tool to complete his ends, not an end as to itself.

Matthew 6:19-21

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Last edited:

beeeman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Just read about Pharoah's dream, how Joseph interpreted it, what transpired, and ultimately how Israel was saved.
    Disclaimer: I'm not a prepper but do know the bible

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Just to provide a voice of dissent (I think it's silly to be completely unprepared as well)

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life ?

28“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

You ask about verses supporting prepping; and then quote two of the STRONGEST verses AGAINST PREPPING!!!! I smell U SHAPED AMBUSH........DON'T JUMP INTO THIS THREAD!!!!!!

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    I think HoughMade covered it in the way I think about it.

I'm not very good with quoting scripture...there are several relating to caring for and protecting your family. Prepping would be covered by those as well. Also, I think the Bible pretty much says don't test the Lord for the sake of testing him. If you had the means and ability to easily prepare yourself for a potential problem but you did not because you thought - hey the Lord said he would take care of me so I'll just sit back and see him work. Well regardless of your beliefs, mana isn't going to fall out of the sky while you sit there. Maybe having the means, ability, and thoughfulness to prepare was his assistance to you - if you believe in that sort of thing, just sayin. You could have the same discussion with disease and relying on faith alone or taking medicine.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I believe the biblicaly balanced position would be that it's fine to prep, but not to have faith in those preps. I'm too lazy to provide references.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County

Verse 33 says to " seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well" gotta do it in the right order.

1Timothy 5:8 But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You ask about verses supporting prepping; and then quote two of the STRONGEST verses AGAINST PREPPING!!!! I smell U SHAPED AMBUSH........DON'T JUMP INTO THIS THREAD!!!!!!

You should go back and read the OP again, you seem to have made up your own fictional version of what was asked and why.

Here, I'll help by bolding the part you missed:

...Anyhow, within the bible there seems to be many times where prepping is encouraged and many where it is discouraged. What are your thoughts INGO? Prefer if you can back it up with quotes...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The already mentioned verses teach that it is prudent to do what you can and faith allows you to trust GOD for the times you are powerless. Of course the whole Biblical concept of eternal life after this one is completely in the second catagory.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    "A man should never move a step from his weapons", the Flateyjarbok, Erik the Red...deity - see the Norse Pantheon... also the various Edda's as related by the Skalds where they point out how bad it is to be unprepared. 'Njall Burning' is a case in point.

And, yes, I do have a copy of the Flateyjarbok in the original Icelandic with Danish and old English translations...as you might expect.

Top Bottom