• ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    http://www.history.com/shows/alone/episodes

Who is watching the new survival show ALONE on History channel?

They drop 10 guys onto Vancouver Island alone. They are isolated from one another and trying to survive in cold, wet Canadian pine forest.

Basically last guy that walks out of the woods wins.

They film everything themselves, a la Survivor Man. It could be interesting.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    First guy taps out after one night. He's freaked out over bears, just because 2 black bears came by and sniffed around his tent in the night.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I'll have to wait till its out on DVD or something. I watch Mitch on YouTube frequently, so I do wanna watch it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    First guy let his mind get the best of him. He said that he was scared to go in the woods because of all the predators. He was done before he got there.

It looks like they were not allowed to bring any type of firearms in as part of their survival kits. One guy remarked about how it was the first time he didn't have a gun on him in years.

I don't think I'd want to be up in bear / wolf / cougar country without a .44 mag revolver at the very least. Rifle would be better.

Dude was cowering in his tent with his little hatchet. I can't say I blame him.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    It looks like they were not allowed to bring any type of firearms in as part of their survival kits. One guy remarked about how it was the first time he didn't have a gun on him in years.

I don't think I'd want to be up in bear / wolf / cougar country without a .44 mag revolver at the very least. Rifle would be better.

Dude was cowering in his tent with his little hatchet. I can't say I blame him.
    Me and the Mrs just got back from the Smoky mountains, where we did a pretty decent back country hike IE, nobody else on the trail but us for quite a way.....it is a little unnerving to see fresh bear tracks on the trail, never saw the bear, but still unnerving. I carried my 17+1 SR9, as usual, but I also decided at the last minute to through my Alaskan 44 mag in the top of my pack, just in case. Shooting a bear is not a can of worms I'd want to open in a national park, but I wouldn't go into the back country without some means of protection. I'm always more concerned with having to deal with 2 legged predators than 4, but I always like to have what I might need.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Me and the Mrs just got back from the Smoky mountains, where we did a pretty decent back country hike IE, nobody else on the trail but us for quite a way.....it is a little unnerving to see fresh bear tracks on the trail, never saw the bear, but still unnerving. I carried my 17+1 SR9, as usual, but I also decided at the last minute to through my Alaskan 44 mag in the top of my pack, just in case. Shooting a bear is not a can of worms I'd want to open in a national park, but I wouldn't go into the back country without some means of protection. I'm always more concerned with having to deal with 2 legged predators than 4, but I always like to have what I might need.

My wife has some friends that have a cabin in the Smokies that they affectionately call "Bearadise."

Last time we went down to visit there was a fresh steaming pile of bear droppings in the driveway to welcome us.

The next morning I went out to the car and saw the muddy paw prints a bear had left on the top of the trunk when he stopped by to check out the car overnight.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    First guy let his mind get the best of him. He said that he was scared to go in the woods because of all the predators. He was done before he got there.

It would be unnerving with bears, pumas, etc. Everywhere, but first episode?? Natives inhabited the area for at least a couple thousand years w/o guns. Once there an atlatl and a bow would be high on my list of priorities since they can't have guns.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've watched it, pretty good so far. I'm a little surprised how quick the first 2 guys dropped out. As someone already wrote, the first guy was defeated before he ever got there. On the list of things that would kill you the quickest in that environment, wildlife is pretty far down the list.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    We will probably see a pretty steady stream of folks leaving maybe one every couple days until there's 3 or 4 left. Then it will be a battle of attrition. It will come down to who has developed the best coping skills, who has the best camp area for foraging, and who has the best attitude.
    I'm thinking by the end of week 2 we will probably be down to 3 or 4 fellers. I found it interesting that the guy that had the least trouble getting a fire going was the only guy they showed making a fire in his "bio" footage. Cant remember his name. The guy that built the tarp/tree limb boat?
    Every time I see them trying to start a fire with a ferroceum rod I get this overpowering urge to go buy a 6 pack of Bic lighters!

Southbendfamily

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    SBN
    Joe Robinet is one of the guys, younger guy but he's pretty good. JoeRobinetBushcraft is his youtube channel.

When it's on Hulu or Netflix, I'll watch it. No Cable, No Go.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I thought I remember them saying they could bring a gun, but it counted as one item along with each bullet as another. Also, I thought somebody had a bow.

Top Bottom