• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    While sweating my a@$ off planting some new beds around our new house, I got to thinking whether you could plant attractive beds using plants that have medicinal properties. We all know that purple cone flowers are the source of echinacea. What other plants can be planted in standard landscape beds that have uses?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Comfrey. Looks nice, has nice flowers and big leaves and makes a salve, (using the roots and leaves) that is better for burns and scarring wounds than most pharmaceuticals.
    Coltsfoot looks nice and can be used for coughs.
    Mints of all sorts are nice, but can be very invasive. You have to take care with them and containers are your best bets.

This is an invaluable book and will help you choose plants to use, (and plan for their uses).
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Holistic-...-1&keywords=new+holistic+herbal+david+hoffman

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Comfrey can also be hard to oontrol, but is quite useful. Not very decorative if that is important. I have root cuttings if you are interested in giving it a try.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    If you have a shady, moist area (especially this year, lol), try jewelweed. Great stuff.

Jewelweed is awesome.... It's like aloe. Coincidentally, it can often be found near nettles, which is often what I apply after walking through a patch. It instantly soothes.

Also try cilantro. It's delicious and has a myriad of health benefits.

Inabcentia

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Bloomington
    Bee balm and catnip (both mints) are good for stomach ailments. Echinacea of course. Camomile is,pretty easy to spread. Red clover, nettles and milkthistle all have medical uses. You can make tinctures by chopping up these fresh herbs and soaking them in a ball jar with everclear. Later after soaking for a week or two you can strain the plant matter,out and then you,have a tincture you can put in dropper bottles.

Top Bottom