• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Just got back from a 42 mile backpacking trip along Lake Superior, testing out our legs, backs and stuff. Some things learned:
    1. Still brought too much stuff, though packs were lighter than our last trip. Didn't use several articles, which, by our usual backpacking rule, I should have had to eat - "Eat anything you bring and don't use." Some of those - milsurp solid fuel stove, compass, ESEE-5.
    2. Frequent bathing is overrated.
    3. Made more use of some things than I expected. Since axes/hatchets were not allowed in the park, I brought an old Sven folding saw. Used that rather frequently to cut up driftwood and larger branches. Used the Solo Stove a lot, saving the MSR and fuel for a rainy day (which never happened). Used the MSR for the last few meals so I wouldn't have to eat it.
    4. The terrain was much more hospitable than our last trip - no 1800' climbs. Love all the smells of the north woods.
    5. Most of us brought too many changes of clothes.
    6. Don't trust an inflatable pool raft to sleep on, no matter how much you tested it beforehand.
    7. Lake Superior is quite cold, but the streams flowing into it are relatively warm.
    8. There is some fantastic scenery at Pictured Rocks.
    9. Hiking 7 miles between camps and enjoying the sights and sensations is much better than 14 miles and flopping exhausted on the ground at dark.
    10. The Leatherman Wave once again proved its usefulness in a variety of situations.
    11. Zip-offs are great for changing conditions and minimizing wardrobe carried.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Also -
    We used 3 types of water prep. Old First Need pump filter was our usual, a SteriPen was backup, and 5% bleach made from pool shock was second backup. We used all of them several times and none of our group had any ill effects.

Two of our group were doing a no-no - breaking in new boots on the hike. Since they were Merrells, no one had any issues and we used less than half a sheet of moleskin all week.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Nice. I love "da UP, eh"
    Went camping earlier this year at Porcupine Mountains. Alas, my health does not currently allow for extensive hiking/backpacking.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Sounds like you had a great trip! Heck, any trip in the UP, where you don't need a snowmobile, is a good one in my opinion. Some of my favorite memories are at Lake Superior...with 3 layers of clothing on...in July. I grew up on Lake Huron, and could never believe the difference in water temp. from that lake to Superior.

Did the "Michigan Air Force" leave you alone?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I've carried a compass into the bush hundreds of times and can count on one hand the number of times it was actually used, but it was invaluable those few times and I would never not bring one along.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Yeah compasses are something I will gladly carry more then one and they weigh less then a GPS.

Best year in a long time in terms of bugs. Dry April and snow in late May killed them back.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    one of the best trips I ever took was backpacking along Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore!!! You are right, Lake Superior will take your breath away, it is so cold, even the second week of August!!!

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I'm a big fan of people in this sub-community doing this kind of activity. Survival and preparedness is all about getting out there and actually doing it, not reading it in a book or watching it on the tv and thinking you can do it later.

As long as you learn at least one thing and no one gets hurt, it's always a worthy endeavor.

Congrats to you and thanks for the report.

My group is already planning our fall trip down to Kentucky later this fall. (fat guys don't like hot weather) I will update as well.

packard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Thank you for this report. Real world experiences are great learning tools. But, do not eat your compass! You may need it the next time out.

Inabcentia

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Bloomington
    Yes, thanks for the post and sharing. Good info learned in the field and by doing is always a lot more interesting and helpful. Were you able to get yourself a pastie at the end of your trip?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    The kids took all the photos, and haven't uploaded them to me yet. I only have these:
    Screen%20Shot%202015-08-09%20at%208.58.18%20AM_zpsllmrbtod.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-09%20at%208.53.40%20AM_zps5bg5mmeq.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-09%20at%208.40.38%20AM_zpsb3kcruzz.png

Top Bottom