• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I have a basic kit that usually stays in the truck. I tried to compile all of the minor stuff like band aids, gauze, pain relief, scissors, gloves, etc. then purchased good materials that would help me utilize this standard for bleeding open wounds: rinse with water, douse with Betadine (controversial?), pack with quik-clot, cover with good heavy gauze pads, wrap with ace bandage (not too tight)...

(I am not a physician)

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I gave up on buying an appropriate pre made pack several years ago.
    They either come with things I don't know how to use, or don't have things I'd like to have.

When you think "trauma", what just happened?

Cause a car wreck is a lot different than a stabbing or falling into a hole.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I gave up on buying an appropriate pre made pack several years ago.
    They either come with things I don't know how to use, or don't have things I'd like to have.

When you think "trauma", what just happened?

Cause a car wreck is a lot different than a stabbing or falling into a hole.

This.

Don't buy a trauma bag. Get enough training that you will know what you want in a trauma bag and build your own.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I agree with the others: don't buy a pre-built trauma kit. It's much better for you to determine the events for which you want to be prepared and then tailor your kit to handle that specifically.

For example, I wanted to have a trauma kit in the car at all times so that whenever I go to the range, I never have to remember to grab a kit; that kit has the bare essentials for dealing with a gunshot wound based on my combat life saver training. I'm no paramedic, so I don't carry a ton of various advanced things, but I know that's one type of injury I can handle at a basic level until more capable assets are available.

And then since this med kit is in the car all the time, I added other things that are just generally useful, like aspirin, cough syrup, hand sanitizer, IvaRest lotion, Tums, and probably a few other little things. These are the kinds of items that have come in handy several times already.

If you're looking for a big backpack sized kit specifically for medical supplies, you probably should have a lot of training to use all that stuff. Otherwise it's just taking up space and weight. You might consider a backpack for other Vehicle EDC (VEDC) supplies, though, such as a change of clothes, rain jacket, snacks, water, and and so on; then it isn't so much a giant trauma kit as it is just an emergency kit or even a forced-to-abandon-my-car kit.

Edited to Add: Here's an album I did of all the stuff I keep in my car (aka, my VEDC items). It includes some of the medical stuff I have, if you're interested.

Forester VEDC - Album on Imgur

Last edited:

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Egads. Lots of stuff you don't need.

You need to stop bleeding. That's it.

Big blood soakers (5x9, 4x4s).
    Kerlix/cling/wrap-of-some-kind.

Tourniquet. If you're going to consider using this at the range, maybe a chest seal/occlusive dressing of some kind.

Fabric bandaids for little stuff.

Some blue/purple/techno colored nitrile gloves from your workbench.

Find a cheap bag at your favorite imported-from-China store, toss in some redundancies from your other trunk kit (light, knife, etc.) and be done.

And have the skillset to use the supplies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Just to add another reason to build your own. As you put it together, you will remember better where you put things. If you buy pre-made, then when you need it, you may end up wasting precious time rummaging around d finding things.

That made a lot of sense when someone else told me that.

Last edited:

Wire Fox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    These guys are posting some serious truth. I spent a lot of time looking for pre-made because I thought that I'd get the kit then learn how to use it. I still try to do this to no avail.

I'd highly recommend getting a basic first aid course and learning how to treat injuries, then take that knowledge to know what you'd need to treat the injuries you're trained to treat, then put all that in a kit. Add on extra conveniences as you see fit/is appropriate for the usage. For example, my car kit contains pretty much everything I need to stop bleeding, plus conveniences of band aids, hand cleaner, blister covering, sting/itch relief, foil blankets, and ponchos. I stuck in all that extra crap because it goes with me virtually everywhere and I have a surplus of space in my trunk for it. If I'm hiking or camping, I cut it down to just what I need to get myself to safety (do I really need emergency blankets and ponchos when I'm already carrying better equipment for the trip?).

As an oddball comment, I hear a lot of guys here preach quikclot. I've worked with an EMT in the past that hated the stuff because of the pain and discomfort it inflicts on the patient. He preached Celox, because it supposedly doesn't burn. However, I'm trained in neither, so I can't comment much on the effectiveness-just food for thought.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    This.

Don't buy a trauma bag. Get enough training that you will know what you want in a trauma bag and build your own.

I want to echo this. I found the stocked kits either have fluff that takes space that I need, has things I am not sure how to use, OR MOSTLY don't have enough of the things that I DO know how to use and will need.

I keep a simple bag that is stocked to the brim with:

CAT Tourniquets
    Emergency/Israeli Bandages
    Curlix Gauze
    Chest Seal
    Surgical tape
    Mylar blankets
    Shears
    Gloves

...any trauma that requires more than that, and I'm not knowledgeable/experienced/qualified enough to handle anyway (but at least I can stop the bleeding). Anything less is just a boo-boo. Rub some dirt on it and carry on! :D

And by simplifying my kit, I have room for much more of those things that I DO need.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    After trashing the premade kits, I remembered that I like this one that sponsor AGS Armament sells: AGS Armament | WETSU Trauma Kit
    You are correct in this case! Anything that WETSU puts his name on has been very well thought out. He is the very model of a subject matter expert.

If I had very little space, or wanted to stash one of those in a car, that little kit wouldn't leave me feeling uncovered. I usually carry more, but that one is a great start.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All the things in whatever kit you'll eventually procure will have a shelf life of a few years. It's important to rotate those things out. Get to be good friends with the local fire dept and you might rotate your supplies out with stuff from the FD. Most FD EMTs need continued education hours also and can run you through certain techniques during their trainings.

A working knowledge of the equipment is essential but 90 percent of EMS is just having the desire to help and not stand there and whip out your damn camera phone.

Higginbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Columbus
    I agree with the comments on building your own kit, and have a couple other thoughts on a car TRAUMA kit.

If I have a trauma kit in my vehicle (and I do), I want it to meet a couple criteria:
    1. Easy to find/access
    2. Everything I need
    3. Nothing I don't need.

If I'm dealing with an emergency (which basically means car crash, or severe injury near my vehicle, i.e., gunshot wound at a range) then I want to be able to grab the kit and step out of my car. I also don't want to open it and have band-aids, sunscreen, duct tape etc. falling out. All I need is basic equipment to stop bleeding and manage airway. I'm an EMR (First responder) so that's about all I know/am allowed to do.

My solution is a tear away velcro backed bag like this: The Rip-Away EMT Pouch Lite holds a personal FAK in rapid access configuration.
    on the back of the passenger headrest. It's got the things I think I'd want if I stopped for a wreck somewhere, and that's it. I've got another pouch in the back that's got bandaids, aspirin, etc. as a day to day first aid kit. An added point in favor of this strategy is that my expensive trauma kit isn't getting drug out of the car every time someone scrapes their knee. I'd hate to leave a $100-200 bag of supplies at the park. If I leave $10 worth of bandaids, no biggie.

Just my $0.02 on the subject.

Top Bottom