• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    Have been wanting to do this, then finally got a wild hair to see if anyone else had done it.. Sure enough, google led me to this gem.

Enjoy!

[video=youtube;cUxx-4bUo4Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUxx-4bUo4Q[/video]

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Very cool, and thanks for sharing this one.

I'm too lazy to dig into it, but kind of wonder about having Uverse instead of a traditional land line would affect things? I rather doubt it'd work the same way.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas

I'm too lazy to dig into it, but kind of wonder about having Uverse instead of a traditional land line would affect things? I rather doubt it'd work the same way.
    It won't work with Uverse, it doesn't have voltage unless you have a POTS line over it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

It won't work with Uverse, it doesn't have voltage unless you have a POTS line over it.

Correct. 48V may not be present on the line because the line driver for VoIP over Uverse is done inside the set top box. (It still may be there, I have never tested pairs for voltage on a Uverse customer)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is really not a good idea.
    1. Telco's take a dim view putting unauthorized equipment on the line.
    2. The D+ and D- line are not controlled - take a look at the USB charging spec, I imagine there's requirements for that.
    3. The absolute maximum voltage input for a LM7805 is around 30V.
    4. What happens when the line rings? You're going to get a nasty little AC spike coming in. The diode will block this, but then you're going to get a big ripple.
    5. Assuming 48VDC, you're looking at roughly 7 mA per REN. Let's assume the line supports 10 REN before failure or overcurrent protection. That's 70 mA, I'm too lazy to run the numbers, but after losses, you'll get about 40 mA @ 5VDC coming out - a far cry from the 2000 mA your phone craves.
    6. Where's any sort of protection against transient voltage?
    7. This contraption is a great way to release the magic smoke in electronics.
    8. What happens when lightening strikes? Presumably you're doing this because the powers out...
    9. And if you're like me, I've got fiber to the premise, meaning the power on the line is from my own electricity - so no good.

Here's a better idea - turn the damn phone off until you need it.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    2. The D+ and D- line are not controlled - take a look at the USB charging spec, I imagine there's requirements for that.
    4. What happens when the line rings? You're going to get a nasty little AC spike coming in. The diode will block this, but then you're going to get a big ripple.
    5. Assuming 48VDC, you're looking at roughly 7 mA per REN. Let's assume the line supports 10 REN before failure or overcurrent protection. That's 70 mA, I'm too lazy to run the numbers, but after losses, you'll get about 40 mA @ 5VDC coming out - a far cry from the 2000 mA your phone craves.
    8. What happens when lightening strikes? Presumably you're doing this because the powers out...
    9. And if you're like me, I've got fiber to the premise, meaning the power on the line is from my own electricity - so no good.

Yep.yep.. You could unleash the hidden smoke Jennie.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

bear in mind this a SHTF solution;. Power is out and you are out of juice with no ETA for return. ( think tornado, earthquake, etc)

many times the telco will not physically disconnect a phone line. It is done logically at the central office by disassociating the line from the switch gear. So the equipment is still delivering voltage, even though it's not an active phone line. And the batteries/generators there can deliver voltage for days.

Anyone who who does this "just because" will definitely let the smoke out if it rings.

Top Bottom