May 12, 2013
    Camby area

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I've been trying to attend one of these in Randolph Co. for the past 5 years. I continue to get the runaround each time I try to get information. I've been told there is no such program, we don't do that, never heard of it, what do you want to know those things for, sorry no funding, etc. I've sent emails with read receipts attached and forgotten about them. Months later I got a notification saying they were deleted without being read. I went into the office again and asked about the emails and information. I was greeted with a bunch of questions about who I was, who my family was, why I wanted to know and a bunch of other non-relevant BS. They went out of their way to try and make me feel like I was doing something wrong or asking for privileged information. It's a joke in our county.

I've thought about seeing if I can do it in another county. Not sure if they allow this or not.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Contact the admin in the link I provided. They do ask in the sign up form if you are from Marion County. Not sure what happens if you say no.

Here is the contact info from the original release I got:
    For additional questions or for more information, please contact Elia James, CERT Program Manager: Elia.James2@indy.gov or 317-506-7770.

ETA: No wonder you got the runaround. Randolph County doesnt seem to participate. I did a zip code lookup and nothing in your county is listed.
    http://www.citizencorps.fema.gov/cc/searchCert.do?submitByZip

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I saw that. I don't think they have ever been listed. It's a shame. I wish I knew how to track the funding of these types of programs. The county doesn't seem to participate in many of these programs or dealings with the public. Yet they are always getting new vehicles with custom paint jobs, upgrades and remodels of the buildings, etc. They don't even maintain and distribute information through a dedicated website. When they choose to share information they do it via TwitFace. Occasionally I'll get a Nixle alert from them, but it almost always is only a link to the TwitFace posting with no other information. It's like an exclusive boys club and if you aren't a member then you are an unwelcome outsider.

I've lived in this county for almost all my life, excluding my time in the military and 2 years when I got out. I hold a general HAM license, Skywarn trained, I've completed the online FEMA PDS independent study and several other courses as well. I've tried quite a bit to learn more and be active but it's difficult when the county wants to work against people.

All the surrounding counties have the program. The county north is pretty far away and I don't travel that way often so I'm not familiar enough with the area. I'm pretty familiar with Delaware County but again it's as far away as possible. Wayne is to the south and is a possibility, although it is farther away than I like. Darke County is very close but is in Ohio (3 miles away). If I can get the training and contribute over there then that would be acceptable. Wife works over there and we have several friends there. It's too bad I can't contribute to my home county where most of my family and friends are all because a few select people choose to have a closed club.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    All -- IF you are near Greenfield, Hancock County CERT will be starting a class in late January or early February, and welcome any and all. I'm looking at Tuesday evenings (6, about 3 hours each night) or Saturdays (3, all day). The national CERT programs calls for 24 hours (FEMA standard), but in reality, can do in 18-19 hours. If interested, please contact me.

Also, Hamilton County has a program.

Greg Hicks
    Hancock County CERT Program Manager
    hancock.cert@yahoo.com

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    All -- IF you are near Greenfield, Hancock County CERT will be starting a class in late January or early February, and welcome any and all. I'm looking at Tuesday evenings (6, about 3 hours each night) or Saturdays (3, all day). The national CERT programs calls for 24 hours (FEMA standard), but in reality, can do in 18-19 hours. If interested, please contact me.

Also, Hamilton County has a program.

Greg Hicks
    Hancock County CERT Program Manager
    hancock.cert@yahoo.com

How do we get Hamilton County info?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I did the zipcode search, and my county does have the class once a year, but the point of contact has an email address that is no longer in existence. Turns out, I know the guy in charge, so shouldn't be too hard to track him down.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    "CERT: Because everyone needs to take an excessively lengthy course on how to properly hand out water and snacks to first responders."

That's a pretty crappy thing to say.

CERT certifications are used for many jobs as they are required.

Having volunteers on standby that know CPR and have a plan besides standing around and screaming are nice to have around.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I saw that. I don't think they have ever been listed. It's a shame. I wish I knew how to track the funding of these types of programs. The county doesn't seem to participate in many of these programs or dealings with the public. Yet they are always getting new vehicles with custom paint jobs, upgrades and remodels of the buildings, etc. They don't even maintain and distribute information through a dedicated website. When they choose to share information they do it via TwitFace. Occasionally I'll get a Nixle alert from them, but it almost always is only a link to the TwitFace posting with no other information. It's like an exclusive boys club and if you aren't a member then you are an unwelcome outsider.

I've lived in this county for almost all my life, excluding my time in the military and 2 years when I got out. I hold a general HAM license, Skywarn trained, I've completed the online FEMA PDS independent study and several other courses as well. I've tried quite a bit to learn more and be active but it's difficult when the county wants to work against people.

All the surrounding counties have the program. The county north is pretty far away and I don't travel that way often so I'm not familiar enough with the area. I'm pretty familiar with Delaware County but again it's as far away as possible. Wayne is to the south and is a possibility, although it is farther away than I like. Darke County is very close but is in Ohio (3 miles away). If I can get the training and contribute over there then that would be acceptable. Wife works over there and we have several friends there. It's too bad I can't contribute to my home county where most of my family and friends are all because a few select people choose to have a closed club.

If what was formerly true still holds, you can probably get a spot in a Marion County class, you just won't get the "goodies" they issue to Marion County residents.

Your situation isn't a whole lot different from many other largely rural counties in Indiana; the "Emergency Management" agency is small - usually a part-time Director and possibly a part-time or full-time clerk/secretary (to watch over the voluminous paperwork) and everyone else is a volunteer. The funding for CERT comes from FEMA Mitigation programs and usually depends upon grants - for which you must apply, then comply with all that voluminous paperwork required to prove compliance - so you can purchase the helmets, eyepro, gloves, tape, wrenches, etc. Unless your County EMA Director is pretty active and aggressive, he's not likely to even be aware of all the programs available to him, much less care to invest the time and energy to conduct such classes.

In the past, the state EMA (now "Homeland Security") would go around and conduct classes as part of a larger program, but once the "earthquake" panic of '91 calmed down, there just didn't seem to be enough interest in the program statewide to make it worthwhile to continue. Kudos to Marion County - as screwed up as their emergency planning corps is - that they're still finding funding for this program.

CERT is a "nice-to-know" course for an individual, but it's really designed for a neighborhood; after a disaster one person isn't going to be able to do a whole lot by himself, but a group of trained neighbors can accomplish quite a bit, in relative safety. If you want to take this course and have it be effective, talk some of your neighbors into taking it with you.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Our county director is full time and he's fully aware of the program. I've been asking about it for at least the past 5 years. I took a list of 10 other people who committed to go if there was a class. He's just not interested in having anyone outside his office involved with anything.

Here is last years attempt and the results. This spring was pretty much the same thing. No interest in volunteers at all. I'm not going to even bother this coming spring.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/survival-disaster-preparedness/358126-anyone-heard-serv.html
    starting at post #3

I'll look into other counties and see if I can get to any of the classes. If not, then I'll just find the information online and and learn it for myself and family. That will make it difficult to give anything back to the community or volunteer, which is one of the reasons I wanted to do this in my home town. At the same time, I'm tired of beating my head against the wall.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Hancock County CERT will be holding its next CERT training class in February 2016 (3 Saturdays; 6th, 13th & 20th); running from 0900 to 1600 (+/-) in Greenfield. You do not have to be a resident of Hancock County; it is open to any & all, and is FREE. If interested, contact me (hancock.cert@yahoo.com). -- Greg

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Hancock County is running 2 classes this winter: Saturdays for 3 days (see e-mail above); and Tuesday evenings for 6 weeks (Feb 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, Mar 1st & 8th). Classes in Greenfield & they are FREE. More info, e-mail me (hancock.cert@yahoo.com). -- Greg/Grizhicks

hntrroy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    Winslow IN
    "CERT: Because everyone needs to take an excessively lengthy course on how to properly hand out water and snacks to first responders."

I have been a CERT member for several years and have never handed out water or any thing else to first responders. Not sure where you got your info. The training was more along the lines of securing utilities, clearing buildings, victim care, first aid, crowd control, and assisting the first responders with whatever is needed. I recommed it for anyone who is able bodied and willing to assist their neighbors.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I'm 2 weeks into my Hamilton County CERT training. So far it's been all academic but that's ok. I'm still learning

Top Bottom