• ...and so much more!
  • Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    Good Sunday morning to ya all

Just wondering. I was thinking what I could do this week that would improve my skills, not cost anything. The power was out here last week and I am using it as a clue to improve myself so I will be of some benefit to the group if the power is out long term. Those who don't bring a benefit and are just a drain on the group will be looked at differently? Anyway what 2 or 3 knots would be the most useful? I am not looking to choose thru a bunch of different knots. Lets keep it simple. I will also look for a you man to pass this skill on.

camping, survival, knots.

Morgan88

Thanks a bunch guys. I remembered the obvious. I will see if I can find my Cub Scout handbook? Don't remember how much it will have but may be fun to see. Long time ago (45+years) my mom was our den leader. Mom did everything:-)
    I will see if I can find it and how much it has in it.

Morgan88

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Anything less than this is pissing up a rope.

Knot - MeritBadgeDotOrg

A lot of those knots, I tie in reverse. No clue if it's because I am two handed or how I was taught. As long you remember the right end result, it ain't wrong.

Last edited:

gewehr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    OP, I think it's a good idea just to learn 3 knots, and hardwire them into your mind. Bow line, taught-hitch, and a properly tied reef knot will cover most situations. In a year or two, after you have stopped practicing knots you may actually retain these knot in your memory. Others that are good to know are the Trucker's Hitch, Blake's Hitch, Alpine Loop, Sheet's Bend, a fishers man knot.

Animated Knots by Grog | How to Tie Knots | Fishing, Boating, Climbing, Scouting, Search and Rescue, Household, Decorative, Rope Care,

The main thing is to get a lot of reps tying the knots so that they are committed to memory.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Regardless of which knots you choose, I suggest that knot-tying is something you have to practice on a regular basis or you will forget. People who use knots all the time are practicing "for real," of course. I know that I can teach myself a knot and even though I can tie it a few days later, if don't practice occasionally I have to start from square one. I've been tying square knots, surgeon's knots, and two half hitches most of life and using them. I have to practice bowlines if I don't want to "reason" my way through it a few time before I tie a knot for use.

Top Bottom