• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    JR of MALC Training Institute mentioned it at the end of a class. Info: Membership Sign Up - Civilian Protector

I didn't join because I already get discounts on guns and gear through being an FFL and there's no way of knowing before hand if I'll actually save enough through training to pay for the membership. Instead I'm in training for CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) through the Hamilton County EMA. The training doesn't involve guns but the price is right for whatever I learn (FREE).

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    Yeah, I know. . .call me a party-pooper, but I just don't know about a group that identifies it's members as "Civilian Protectors" and organizes "Civilian Crisis Response Teams."

As someone else has already posted, encouraging some individual to self-identify as some form of "guardian/protector" and organizing "Response Teams" sounds like a good way to get mis-identified at an active-shooter scene. . .and not in a good way.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    To be fair, and looking at their website, I'm not all that opposed to it. I, like most of you, thought it was a bunch of yahoos who have scanners, hear something go down, and interject themselves into the mix. Giving a quick look at the website, it appears that these people are early-first responders... or more correctly citizens immune to the "onlooker effect." These aren't people preparing to take down bad guys, but people there to render assistance to persons in need prior to "professional" arrival. As long as they know their boundaries, I'm much rather have people like this, than militia knuckleheads.

https://www.facebook.com/civilianprotector

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Just to let you all know I am a member, have been for about 6 weeks now. I've gone to 4 classes, all free to this point. The classes I have attended are:

1. Introduction to tactical Medicene.
    2. Glock Armorer
    3. Indiana Firearms, Self Defense Law and you
    4. Introduction to Defensive Rifle.

The training has been top notch, easy to understand, and the instructors break it down in logical steps, explaining the why, and how, while not being dogmatic about the methods they teach. I'm going to Trauma Med 1 this Sunday, at the end of the course I'll have both my CPR, and First aid certifications. That class was I believe $75 after my Gold level discount. At $125 for gold level, I've already made my investment back and then some. The gear discounts are quite nice... a Magpul SGA 590 stock for $85 is hard to beat, Glock 17 Gen 3 for $470.00 isn't too bad. All of the introductory level classes to this point are free for CCRT members, with Gold level membership you get 20% off all partner training events, including MALC training, which from what I have seen is very reasonably priced as well.

CCRT is in my opinion a reboot of the old Civil Defense groups. It's not a militia, it's not some god-complex, vigilante group, I wouldn't have joined if it were. The group is about being prepared to help your family and community. Nothing more. If you all are so curious, why not go to the web site and watch the video? Attend one of the free Introduction to membership meetings, I mean it's free. Worst thing is your going to lose some of your time and walk out with fodder for the meet and eats. I know that CCRT is exactly what I've been seeking for the last 4 years; a group that wants to be able to help, and does more than just talk about it! The level of training and instructors available to CCRT members is hard to beat... Former Navy seals, master Krav Maga instructors, Naval special warfare, Doctors, trauma doctors, lawyers, etc.... The organization is still new and growing; growing extremely quickly, when I joined there were 175 members approx. Now, about 6 weeks later there are over 400.

Give it a chance, you may well discover, like some of your fellow INGO'ers have that it's not a bad organization. And really Civilian Crisis Response Team can't possibly sound any worse than Zombie Eradication Response Team!

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Just to let you all know I am a member, have been for about 6 weeks now. I've gone to 4 classes, all free to this point. The classes I have attended are:

2. Glock Armorer

The training has been top notch, easy to understand, and the instructors break it down in logical steps, explaining the why, and how, while not being dogmatic about the methods they teach. I'm going to Trauma Med 1 this Sunday, at the end of the course I'll have both my CPR, and First aid certifications. That class was I believe $75 after my Gold level discount. At $125 for gold level, I've already made my investment back and then some. The gear discounts are quite nice... a Magpul SGA 590 stock for $85 is hard to beat, Glock 17 Gen 3 for $470.00 isn't too bad. All of the introductory level classes to this point are free for CCRT members, with Gold level membership you get 20% off all partner training events, including MALC training, which from what I have seen is very reasonably priced as well.

JR is good people. I've taken a few classes with him now. He's mentioned CCRT but I guess my question is how many of those classes would you have gotten free if you only had an associate or bronze membership? I hold an FFL so I don't need the gear/gun discounts.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Lori, You would get all of those free at Bronze... you can't have an associate membership without someone else in the household being a member. Besides the firearm discounts, getting gear at dealer price is hard to beat, and far more imprtant to me is the training! I've got access to instructors and training now that I would never have had access to, let alone at the prices they are being offered to me. I believe in JR, and the group, call me a true believer if you want, I'm all good with it! LOL :D

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

2. Glock Armorer

CCRT is in my opinion a reboot of the old Civil Defense groups. It's not a militia, it's not some god-complex, vigilante group, I wouldn't have joined if it were. The group is about being prepared to help your family and community. Nothing more. If you all are so curious, why not go to the web site and watch the video? Attend one of the free Introduction to membership meetings, I mean it's free. Worst thing is your going to lose some of your time and walk out with fodder for the meet and eats. I know that CCRT is exactly what I've been seeking for the last 4 years; a group that wants to be able to help, and does more than just talk about it! The level of training and instructors available to CCRT members is hard to beat... Former Navy seals, master Krav Maga instructors, Naval special warfare, Doctors, trauma doctors, lawyers, etc.... The organization is still new and growing; growing extremely quickly, when I joined there were 175 members approx. Now, about 6 weeks later there are over 400.

Give it a chance, you may well discover, like some of your fellow INGO'ers have that it's not a bad organization. And really Civilian Crisis Response Team can't possibly sound any worse than Zombie Eradication Response Team!

Im confused. Was it free, or $75 after the discount?

I was also confused reading the info on the CCRT website. They too talk about all these "free" things but I keep seeing references to "discounted" training.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I went to the intro meeting, heard the spiel (was almost like a timeshare pitch!) and for the same reasons as LoriW, didn't join. That said, it passed the sniff test for me and if I was looking to get a bunch of great training at a discount price, I'd join in a heartbeat. As japartridge points out, there are some awesome classes offered.

The deal is you join for $75/year at the basic level and all the basic level classes are free. ALL OF THEM! As many as you want to take. You also get discounts on guns and gear. There are higher level classes and if you want to take those you simply pay the difference. Could be $25, could be $100, depends on the class. There are also higher levels of membership where you pay (I forget exact numbers) $150/yr, $300/yr and you get those classes for free plus much steeper discounts on guns and gear.

It really is a good deal.

(And no, I'm not a paid spokesperson I just know the current market value of training courses.)

I recommend anyone interested go to the free, no obligation membership meetings in your neck of the woods.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Lori, You would get all of those free at Bronze... you can't have an associate membership without someone else in the household being a member. Besides the firearm discounts, getting gear at dealer price is hard to beat, and far more imprtant to me is the training! I've got access to instructors and training now that I would never have had access to, let alone at the prices they are being offered to me. I believe in JR, and the group, call me a true believer if you want, I'm all good with it! LOL :D
    She holds an FFL, she already gets discount guns and gear, that's what she was saying, and asking about the Associate/Bronze benefits?

ETA: misread posts, disregard last transmission! Yeungling is evidently not my friend!

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    I'm a skeptic at heart, but the value is certainly there for the cost. I've already signed up for, but not yet attended three training sessions that will more than recoup the initial investment of $100 (silver level for me and associate for my wife).

The trainings are also offered to the general public at a fair price - $50 to $75 more or less for what we get free with membership. The advanced classes are discounted down from original prices that run from a couple hundred to a couple thousand. These also seem fair for what you get. I'll probably try some of those out as well.

Before I signed up fo this I was pricing cpr recertification and it ran from $80 to $150 depending on the venue. I'm certain I'll come out ahead in the long run.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I was a skeptic but saw some info on the gun law class my neighbor took Then feeling helpless at work on Thursday and finally, going to a church security meeting Thurday evening...I've decided to seriously give them a look and up my handgun classes I take.

I am an Eagle Scout and know basics of first aid...but that was 25 yrs ago. It would do me good to refresh and re-up.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers

I don't need the gun/gear discount ;-)

I went to the intro meeting, heard the spiel (was almost like a timeshare pitch!) and for the same reasons as LoriW, didn't join. That said, it passed the sniff test for me and if I was looking to get a bunch of great training at a discount price, I'd join in a heartbeat. As japartridge points out, there are some awesome classes offered.

The deal is you join for $75/year at the basic level and all the basic level classes are free. ALL OF THEM! As many as you want to take. You also get discounts on guns and gear. There are higher level classes and if you want to take those you simply pay the difference. Could be $25, could be $100, depends on the class. There are also higher levels of membership where you pay (I forget exact numbers) $150/yr, $300/yr and you get those classes for free plus much steeper discounts on guns and gear.

It really is a good deal.

(And no, I'm not a paid spokesperson I just know the current market value of training courses.)

I recommend anyone interested go to the free, no obligation membership meetings in your neck of the woods.

Maybe I'll check it out if they have another one locally

She holds an FFL, she already gets discount guns and gear, that's what she was saying, and asking about the Associate/Bronze benefits?

ETA: misread posts, disregard last transmission! Yeungling is evidently not my friend!

You paid attention!

Top Bottom