• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    This year I have a lot more time to dedicate to our garden. Last year we had the start of an awesome crop in which some wild animal must have really enjoyed.

This year I have taken the time to clear a path behind the garden no brush no weeds or Brush piles. I would like to minimize loss this year so I am going to try to fence the area in some fashion. the area is about 85 deep by 300 feet in length. So it needs to be economical. Has any one had luck with hot wire? Or should I just use field fence? Suggestions welcome please.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Chicken wire on the ground level with a hot wire above it. Keeps out rabbits at low level and other critters at high.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I cant say definitively as I dont have a body...

But I think the critter smoke bombs in the white/yellow box you get at Ace hardware to inject poison smoke into underground burrows take out Chipmonks.

The wife was doting over the cute little guy living under the minbarn. Then I pointed out the rather obvious difference between the pea vines closest to the barn and the far end. 4x smaller. They were well chewed on if you looked closely. :xmad: I'll probably need to replant half of them next week.

Since the burrow was the ENTIRE 10x15' barn I emptied all 4 or 5 sticks into the hole and then placed a golfball in front of the hole. a week later the ball is still there and hasnt been pushed out. (and she hasnt seen him)

Stay away from the red ones you get at Lowes. I used two sticks on a smaller burrow under the barn slab and they didnt seem to affect him. Plus they seemed to burn WAY shorter than the ones from ace. The Ace ones seemed to burn for up to 2 minutes. The Lowes ones lasted maybe 30 seconds.

/threadjack

Last edited:

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Planting marigolds around the garden will keep rabbits, chipmunks and squirrels out. If you're planting hot peppers plant them around the perimeter as well. Liquid Fence will keep deer out.

seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    Electric fence, scare crow, live trap...

They have some pretty cheap solar motion lights now days. I have not tried them yet, but my chicken house is gonna get one soon.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    We deal with city vermin such as possum/squirrel etc.

A properly baited live trap usually takes care of them.

I'm pretty luck and we don't get many varmints in the garden. Although one time my wife's brother and his wife wandered out to look at our garden when they were visiting. They've never had a garden, but the sister-in-law is always fascinated with mine.

Later, after they'd left I was out doing something and I noticed something in the corn patch. When I planted the corn, I put in a sunflower about every three feet so they'd grow with the corn. Corn and sunflowers were about a foot and a half tall and doing well, but apparently my sister-in-law thought the sunflower plants were weeds and she did me a favor by pulling up every single one of them. We never said anything to her, she's a little dingy, but she's a sweet-heart and I didn't want her to feel bad. But, after that, I've always tried to keep an eye on her when she goes back there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm pretty luck and we don't get many varmints in the garden. Although one time my wife's brother and his wife wandered out to look at our garden when they were visiting. They've never had a garden, but the sister-in-law is always fascinated with mine.

Later, after they'd left I was out doing something and I noticed something in the corn patch. When I planted the corn, I put in a sunflower about every three feet so they'd grow with the corn. Corn and sunflowers were about a foot and a half tall and doing well, but apparently my sister-in-law thought the sunflower plants were weeds and she did me a favor by pulling up every single one of them. We never said anything to her, she's a little dingy, but she's a sweet-heart and I didn't want her to feel bad. But, after that, I've always tried to keep an eye on her when she goes back there.

You are "TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" kind my friend.
    Dingy or not stay the hell out of the garden. Looky no touchy.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Biggest issue I've had in the garden are a different breed of critter. Lost about half of my tomatoes last year. Consistently the ones that were a day or two from picking. Always picked cleanly off the plant. I'm guessing they thought it was an Obama garden.

Matt

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That time of year again...

I3l6cHl.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I normally hold off on the grey/red squirrels and take them with air rifle head shots in August. There are a lot this year though and may get to be a bigger problem than expected.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That may be my problem. Something is eating my peas. (at least those that bothered to sprout)

I put up chicken wire all the way around the garden to keep out bunnies, but this may be the culprit.

I sprayed with triazicide and seven, and gave them all a spray of deer be gone. (red pepper based) Might set a trap just in case. I still have a rat trap that I killed the last one with.

Top Bottom