• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Anyone priced a epi-pen lately, they decided that a pen with $1, yes $1 worth of medicine in it should jump 400% in price, they can only be bought in two packs for the low low price of $600 now.

Keep in mind they expire at the 365 day mark, we should all have these in our team a kits.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    CEO of Mylan is the daughter of a prominent Clinton supporter, and the company has donated to the Clinton campaign.

The Democrats are getting a good bit of flak from their own constituents since the crony capitalism behind this mostly took place between Democrats.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    We just had to buy one for our daughter. She is allergic to peanuts. 2 years ago they cost us $15.00 with our insurance. Thanks to OBAMACARE this years price was $685.00. But ours expire in 2 years, not 1. Now there is another company getting ready to take to market a new pen that will be in the $50.00 price range. I just don't remember when it gets approval. -Jason

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    We just had to buy one for our daughter. She is allergic to peanuts. 2 years ago they cost us $15.00 with our insurance. Thanks to OBAMACARE this years price was $685.00. But ours expire in 2 years, not 1. Now there is another company getting ready to take to market a new pen that will be in the $50.00 price range. I just don't remember when it gets approval. -Jason

I read that the FDA halted some competitor pen. Is that the one you are referring to? I also read in a Consumer Reports article that there is another option called Adrenaclick.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I read that the FDA halted some competitor pen. Is that the one you are referring to? I also read in a Consumer Reports article that there is another option called Adrenaclick.

There is only ONE pen on the market...

No other pen has been approved and I think we all know why...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

You can keep your Dr. if you wish.
    This will be affordable health care.

:bs:

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    You can keep your Dr. if you wish.
    This will be affordable health care.

:bs:

Believe it or not, we were able to keep our Dr. Obama care's insurance rate increase forced my company to get rid of heath insurance to employees. This forced me to join the Mrs. health insurance, and this just so happened to be the year they decided to cut costs by going the HSA route with little to no discounts for certain prescription drugs. My daughter is 11 and knows to ask about peanuts in the food and her allergy isn't so bad that air contact will set it off. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have to trash them every 2 years. Our Dr. told us to keep the old ones around as they are still good till the fluid turns color, so we keep those around as back ups. -Jason

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There's lots of cash to be made in the medical/industrial complex so if you want answers about why decisions get made the way they do.........

Always follow the money

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The issue isn't with the substance inside the thing...

It's the injector itself.

I believe I read somewhere that the patent is going to expire on that pretty soon.

I've also seen articles shared on FB (For what that's worth - I've not read them) that there ARE other injectors available for fraction of the cost of a real Epi-pen (TM)

And, as was said above - a syringe and a vial can be had for pennies less - but that presupposes that A) you can do it yourself, and B) someone else could manage to it for you if needed.

The self-contained injectors are a literal life-saver, however. No fuss, no muss, just jab and go.

Another issue is that schools won't keep/use an expired epi-pen even if it's the only thing they have, and 911 operators won't instruct someone to use an expired one. The 911 operator not instructing someone to use an expired pen has cost at least one life that I know of. I THINK this was discussed on INGO a year or so ago when it happened.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    Make your own man, a vial of epi, a syringe and a hard glasses case to protect it. I know it may look sketchy if pulled over, but that it a small risk for having a life saving med on you. Also, if I were on scene you better believe that I am gonna use an expired pen if thats what is available. I'll take the flak from it but I know my med control would back me on it.

A caveat though, if you go the vial route, make sure that you get a FILTER needle to draw the meds. You can and will get micro shards of glass in the med without it, and that would be bad...

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Make your own man, a vial of epi, a syringe and a hard glasses case to protect it. I know it may look sketchy if pulled over, but that it a small risk for having a life saving med on you. Also, if I were on scene you better believe that I am gonna use an expired pen if thats what is available. I'll take the flak from it but I know my med control would back me on it.

A caveat though, if you go the vial route, make sure that you get a FILTER needle to draw the meds. You can and will get micro shards of glass in the med without it, and that would be bad...

You can get multidose vials of 1:1,000 so that you don't have to worry about the fragments from ampules AND you can get them in 1ml, so that reduces the chances of inadvertently giving too large a dose. This is the way I have gone. I am not paying those epi-pen prices.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    just heard on the news that Mylan is going to offer a generic in the near future, for the low cost of $300 :facepalm:

Mylan to offer generic EpiPen for 50% less

No doubt.

Start with $50 product
    Raise price to $600 (and give yourself a killer raise)
    Cave to pressure and cut the new price in half.
    Bask in the glory of your amazing gesture of charity. It IS a 50% markdown after all!
    Laugh all the way to the bank.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The new prices will motivate more players to enter the market. Hopefully that will help the prices and offer much-needed choices.

The vial and syringe is fine for people who can use them on themselves or someone else. Some people need the convenience of something like the Epi-Pen.

When you could still get Primatene Mist and similar otc asthma inhalers with epinephrine, you could also use those for anaphylaxis. The dose per puff was small, but introducing through the lungs is fast (faster than any injection) and you could just take multiple puffs if you needed it. Unfortunately, they're no longer available over the counter (at least in the US).

Top Bottom