• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    Anybody have a good source for vegetable seeds in the packets, like the Burpees or similar? Wouldn't mind putting a quantity of the packets away, just in case for the future. Now that I've thought about it, the time has passed to drop over to Walmart and pick them up at a great price. Thoughts?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For the last several years I've experimented with store bought products to see if you could cultivate them and reuse the seeds from the planting. Most beans bought at Walmart will produce more beans which you can replant the following year.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Mail order, you can do Burpee, Gurney's, Park Seed, Johnny... there are dozens of them.
    We get seeds and plants from a local garden store (way out in the country) in the spring.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Don't just buy seeds and put them away for safe keeping. Those of you who don't know how / have no experience gardening need to start this coming season (starting in March. Yes, March). There is a lot to learn in gardening, with every mistake costing you a year. I've been doing it for several years now, and I still suck at it.

I still can't grow carrots larger than toothpicks. Rabbits, rodents, birds, and insects devote more time to eating your produce than you have to spend defending it. It seems like more lima beans are sowed than harvested. And let's not forget the friendly, neighborhood Tru-Brown than shows up to your neighbors yard blowing poison on a windy day.

This is not meant to discourage new gardeners. It's meant to discourage collecting seeds, putting them in storage for long periods of time (they do die off), and relying on ill-informed, pre-conceived notions of gardening to help you survive a collapse. Don't bother buying seeds if you are not going to sow them this spring, summer, & fall.

As to the question, I buy most seeds from Johnnyseeds dot com and potatoes from Rural King.

One other note. (Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. Seek legal advice.) Collecting seeds from plants that are not heirloom seeds generally is illegal; it is considered stealing. Also, the new seed may not have all the same characteristics as the parent plant.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    One other note. (Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. Seek legal advice.) Collecting seeds from plants that are not heirloom seeds generally is illegal; it is considered stealing. Also, the new seed may not have all the same characteristics as the parent plant.

Collecting seeds from hybrid plants or plants genetically designed for one season, is a waste of time. Unless you are keeping and growing heirloom varieties every year and then saving the seeds, you will not get any consistency. A company called My Patriot Supply sells good collections of heirlooms in a "survival seed vault". Their small product has 20 vegetable varieties and about 4000+ seeds. Includes beans, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, beets, radish, corn, onions, cantalope, watermelon...etc etc NON-GMO and non-hybrids...

Good luck!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Don't just buy seeds and put them away for safe keeping. Those of you who don't know how / have no experience gardening need to start this coming season (starting in March. Yes, March). There is a lot to learn in gardening, with every mistake costing you a year. I've been doing it for several years now, and I still suck at it.

I still can't grow carrots larger than toothpicks. Rabbits, rodents, birds, and insects devote more time to eating your produce than you have to spend defending it. It seems like more lima beans are sowed than harvested. And let's not forget the friendly, neighborhood Tru-Brown than shows up to your neighbors yard blowing poison on a windy day.

This is not meant to discourage new gardeners. It's meant to discourage collecting seeds, putting them in storage for long periods of time (they do die off), and relying on ill-informed, pre-conceived notions of gardening to help you survive a collapse. Don't bother buying seeds if you are not going to sow them this spring, summer, & fall.

As to the question, I buy most seeds from Johnnyseeds dot com and potatoes from Rural King.

+1 on this

Spent hundreds on stuff each year and was lucky to harvest a small bowl of anything edible. It's extremely difficult and a huge time burglar. Much cheaper to hit local farm stand.

To answer question always had good service from Gurneys.

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    Last year I was suckered into shopping with wife. She stopped at a store called "The Christmas Tree" in Greenwood. They had heirloom seeds for $.025 a packet. Needless to say, I bought 100 packets of various fruits/vegetables

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here

We have had a garden for probably 10 of the last 13-14 years. Haven't done it in a year or two but understand the mechanics of it fairly well after the first few years of slim pickings. We usually have had a pretty good crop of stuff; we have dogs and it keeps the varmints and leaf eaters away.

I don't mind rotating seeds annually; it's much cheaper than bullets or toilet paper stockpiling. Just a prep for some reason I hadn't gotten around to doing yet.

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    Last year I was suckered into shopping with wife. She stopped at a store called "The Christmas Tree" in Greenwood. They had heirloom seeds for $.025 a packet. Needless to say, I bought 100 packets of various fruits/vegetables

That's what I'm looking for...3 cent packs! Heck, I'd even pay 30 cents each for quality packs! :D

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    That's what I'm looking for...3 cent packs! Heck, I'd even pay 30 cents each for quality packs! :D

mastery, i apologize, i meant to put $0.25- a quarter a pack. I'm old and senile-lol! I haven't been there in a while. I'll have wife check on her next "girl day out"

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    NVG: No problem, I figured that's what you meant. Quarter a pack sounds like a great deal, drop me a note if she comes back and says they still have some and I'll send my wife on her next "girl day out" too!

Oh, PistolBob...thanks for the link you shared. I'll get an order in there as well.

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    Been shopping with wife again. This time we stopped @ Dollar Tree in Shelbyville. Came across seed packets. The "Heirloom Variety" tag caught my eye. Packet price was $0.99 each but they were selling 4 pks for $1. Had a variety-radish, peas(sugar snap & little marvel), green bean, romaine and regular lettuce,squash to name a few. After doing some research about the company on phone, i opted to buy 1 of each to try. They state on their website -Non GMO. Here is an attachment for anyone interested.
    NVG
    http://www.plantationproducts.com/documents/PlantationProducts_GMO_Policy.pdf

MuddyINGOGirl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Demotte, IN
    Bakers Creek is by far my favorite, everything is non GMO, best varities offered, new products each year. My friend from work started ordering from there and she is brand new at gardening. Almost everything has come up for her this year.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would note that the last two years, I have gotten one or two seed packs from Burpee that did not germinate at all or at a poor rate.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I would note that the last two years, I have gotten one or two seed packs from Burpee that did not germinate at all or at a poor rate.

That's interesting, I had some Spinach seed from Burpee and some from Ferry Morse (dollar store impulse buy). I've always had trouble with Spinach germination and I always plant a lot of seed and thin as needed. But, this spring the Burpee Spinach didn't germinate nearly as well as the other.

I've been continuing to work on saving seeds. This year I have some parsnips from last season that I left to go to seed this year. So far so good. I routinely save beans, romaine lettuce, some spinach, and turnips, and I've been trying to work in at least one other plant for seed each season.

I've been planting the same garlic for 15 years now, and this year, for the first time, all my potatoes were from last seasons saved left-overs.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That's interesting, I had some Spinach seed from Burpee and some from Ferry Morse (dollar store impulse buy). I've always had trouble with Spinach germination and I always plant a lot of seed and thin as needed. But, this spring the Burpee Spinach didn't germinate nearly as well as the other.

I've been continuing to work on saving seeds. This year I have some parsnips from last season that I left to go to seed this year. So far so good. I routinely save beans, romaine lettuce, some spinach, and turnips, and I've been trying to work in at least one other plant for seed each season.

I've been planting the same garlic for 15 years now, and this year, for the first time, all my potatoes were from last seasons saved left-overs.
    Spinach is one of them that only had a couple plants come up and even they were little scrawny things./

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I don't know all the reasons, but in my years of gardening I've had more trouble at times with spinach than with about any other thing.

I do think I've done the best when I plant in early August for a fall crop. One year I even made a mini greenhouse over the raised bed the spinach was in and I picked spinach all through the winter.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Park seeds seem to have the best packaging for seeds. They do hybrids and heirloom so you have to watch which ones you get if you are into that stuff. Shipped seeds I have heard of getting sent through some X-ray and other stuff during shipping which the seeds (small one more likely) do not like welll for sprouting.

If if you like bell peppers then let me suggest parks rainbow bells. Chocolate red orange yellow purple green and my favorite white. Peppers require early planting of the seeds and then until it gets HOT they seem to just chill out for a while if planted without that heat.

Top Bottom