Poll: What level of medical skills do you have in case of emergency?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Medical Skills

For the people who are relying on their spouse's skills, are you learning from them? If not, what happens if they are the one who gets hurt?

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Took the EMT "Speed Course" along with IFD back when everyone was getting the training. Couldn't keep up with it and let it lapse. Only used it once for real (an aircraft accident). CPR is so simple now a chimp with rhythm can do it. Think I can figure out an AED these days. Pretty good with bandaids.
    "When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." Robert A. Heinlein

Scariest part is those with loved ones/kids who will be able to do nothing when the time comes, do it for those you love. Lots of us out there who could at least get you squared away. We are all in this together.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    For the people who are relying on their spouse's skills, are you learning from them? If not, what happens if they are the one who gets hurt?
    Wife and I took advanced classes together in the evening...took care of two things at once (knowledge acquisition and relationship bonding). Problem solved.

Well, maybe not. Hope one of us didn't mentally drift off on that five minute section that would actually occur to the other and we'd need that information.
    When there's just seconds to act, outside help is only minutes away.

She tells me what to do all the time.

Seriously though, first aid is on my training To Do list along with many other skills I would like to learn, improve or reinforce.

Quote Originally Posted by SMiller View Post
    Scariest part is those with loved ones/kids who will be able to do nothing when the time comes, do it for those you love. Lots of us out there who could at least get you squared away. We are all in this together.
    I found out that even with training you might not be able to do much when a loved one is involved, or at least think you can't do much.

I had to treat an unresponsive family member on my own, it was much more stressful than having to do the same thing on a stranger.
    I was on the phone with a physician to guide me step by step because I wasn't sure what to do ... even though I already did all the right things prior to the call.In my mind I was sure I forgot something or that there was more I could do.

With no training at all I would have panicked even more for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Time View Post
    I like turtles

Sharpshooter
    Rhino shares a very valid point here. I myself have advanced training in medical however my wife does not. If something would happen to me what would she do? Solid point Rhino.. might have to look at that.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchiectfd2203 View Post
    Rhino shares a very valid point here. I myself have advanced training in medical however my wife does not. If something would happen to me what would she do? Solid point Rhino.. might have to look at that.
    Good!

That's why when we have classes we have people who are primary caregivers and backups in case something happens to the primary.

When I'm shooting a match or similar activity and I'm in a squad with someone I know can help, I will tell them where I keep my IBD & tourniquet on my person in case they need them to treat me.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Life saving first aid.
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/b...part-14-a.html

How did the Classifieds influence your joining INGO?

Πάρτε σπαθί μου, όταν σας να εξετάζω το από το χέρι μου κρύο νεκρός

Outdoor Emergency Care, CPR, AED... though all are dated

I've been looking for a decent refresher.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
    Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tench Coxe
    Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... the unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blakstone
    It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast