• ...and so much more!
  • MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Vivos xPoint will be the largest private bunker community on earth - Business Insider

This was the Black Hills Ordnance Army Depot. On our trip to the hills last year, my Fiance and I went out to photograph an abandoned town southeast of this place(Ardmore). Driving by the entrance, you would never know it was there. It is also known as Fort Igloo. At one time, I found a page online that had aerial views of the entire complex but can't find it now.

I first learned about it back in 1999, it is on the Buffalo Gap Grasslands map as private. I knew it sold, but I thought it was owned by a rancher in Belle Fourche. From the map I have, the place is spread out pretty good.

The new owners, Vivos, must be smokin' something good...cause I don't see how this would be easily accessible to anyone, and the pricetag would certainly exclude most. It is in the far southwest corner of SoDak. The nearest "town" is Edgemont, which from what I saw when I drove through consisted of two gas station C-stores. I guess that could be good for being away from mainstream society.

Anyhoo, Saw the story and thought it was interesting. Here is a story from KELO a few years ago. The map on the page gives an idea how big it is.
    Memories From Fort Igloo .

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    What a coincidence, last May I was out there looking for a place to shoot prairie dogs. I stopped at a National Forest service office in Hot Springs, SD. The guy suggested the Buffalo Gap Grassland area out by Edgemont. So I drove thru Edgemont on Hiway 18 and turned south on Coffee Flats Road. After driving a few miles off in the distance to the southeast were a bunch of bunkers. I started to go over to check it out but figured I would get run off by some guys in a black SUV. If I knew it wasn’t Federal property and was being developed for private bunkers I would have checked it out. Google maps has it tagged as “Vivox xPoint Shelter”.
    I didn’t see many dogs but the weather was cold and spitting snow. The guy at the National Forest said the dogs wouldn’t be out until early June so I was a month early (who knew, not me).

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Saw this article last week in the Rapid City Journal and believe I read in 1981 a study conducted by Ecology and Environment, Inc. determined that a change in land use which would generate direct human contact, such as housing or crops for human consumption, should be avoided. Guess they've lowered their standards since then?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I just want to know what type of transportation these people have that will get them to their bunkers in South Dakota before the bombs fall on their head. If you can't get there in 10 minutes, what's the point?

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I just want to know what type of transportation these people have that will get them to their bunkers in South Dakota before the bombs fall on their head. If you can't get there in 10 minutes, what's the point?

Exactly what I was thinking! There is no easy way to get to Ft. Igloo, unless you want to hop a coal train out of Wyoming.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    What a coincidence, last May I was out there looking for a place to shoot prairie dogs. I stopped at a National Forest service office in Hot Springs, SD. The guy suggested the Buffalo Gap Grassland area out by Edgemont. So I drove thru Edgemont on Hiway 18 and turned south on Coffee Flats Road. After driving a few miles off in the distance to the southeast were a bunch of bunkers. I started to go over to check it out but figured I would get run off by some guys in a black SUV. If I knew it wasn’t Federal property and was being developed for private bunkers I would have checked it out. Google maps has it tagged as “Vivox xPoint Shelter”.
    I didn’t see many dogs but the weather was cold and spitting snow. The guy at the National Forest said the dogs wouldn’t be out until early June so I was a month early (who knew, not me).

That's the same office I got my map. Last time I stopped in, I talked to a worker there about Ft Igloo. He said the swimming pool looks as new as the day it was built...probably due to the lead paint they used back in the day.

As for P-dogs... the Buffalo Gap is not real great anymore. I used to hunt a spot on a butte overlooking the Cheyenne river. You could drive a half mile back and still be in the middle of a dog town. About 2010, the plague wiped the whole area out. 2015 was the last time I went out to that spot, and the weeds were as high as my truck window. I prefer Ft. Pierre grassland, and they keep up on the location and size of towns.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Saw this article last week in the Rapid City Journal and believe I read in 1981 a study conducted by Ecology and Environment, Inc. determined that a change in land use which would generate direct human contact, such as housing or crops for human consumption, should be avoided. Guess they've lowered their standards since then?

Not sure where I saw it(in my google search for the webpage with aerial views), but somewhere I swear I read that this place would be great for veggie production because there have been no pesticides put into the ground. I just really didn't know how to take that, didn't make much sense.

*edit: found it- it was in the comments section at the very bottom of the page. Maybe the other stuff in that comment made me shake my head about the veggie comment. Link: http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-45742-1.html

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My problem seems to be "defense".

Out in the middle of nowhere is a defense. But, wide open land? I'd hope for more than a chain link fence.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So . . . I get why they need publicity to sell these units . . . but why would someone want to have a bunker where everyone now knows there are bunkers with lots of supplies?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Much like camouflage, if you are not someone's personal target you will probably make it. But if a pilot goes wheels in the well with your picture on his knee card you and your bunker will be a smoking hole in the ground. Camouflage works to keep the random passer by from noticing you as a side note, not from the person who has been sent to find you personally. So, these bunkers could work if no one decides they need to go...but really by that time it would probably serve as a convenient self loaded concentration camp.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    They are tearing a whole bunch of these types of bunkers out at what used to be the Army Ammunition Plant in Charlestown, IN. In Indiana that land could be developed for a business park. SouthWest South Dakota not much else they can be used for I suppose.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Stumbled upon this video on yutube. A vanlife couple took a tour of the Vivos xPoint, and got to see a couple bunkers that people are living in already. The owner/lead guy says they have sold 60 bunkers so far, and there are 8-10 families living there full time(as of 1 year ago when the video was loaded).

Top Bottom