• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I wanted to make a garden last year but I had 2 back surgeries. This year I'm going to try and have one.
    I want carrots, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, rubarb, and cucumbers. I would love to make a raised garden bed out of cinder blocks instead of 2x6 or 2x8. Hopefully by spring my back can handle it.

Anyone have luck on growing berries? Getting apple trees is my ultimate dream along with having some bee hives, but I live in town and can't do this nor have the land I want to do this on.

On the shady part of my yard I grow pumpkins.

What else does everyone grow on their property?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Berries? I grow strawberries, red raspberries, blackberries, currants. I have been trying to get some blueberries going but I don't think my ph is right.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Grow lots of stuff here in the GSF, and the gardener just keeps right on through the cold weather now that she has a greenhouse. I would think blueberries would be good for your soil Expat they like more acid and we grow them here. Hard part is keeping the birds off of them.
    I remember them growing commercially in Starke county west of you when I used to visit that area.

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Peppers, cherry tomatoes, have a hop plant that hasn't produced yet a couple years since I got it.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Berries? I grow strawberries, red raspberries, blackberries, currants. I have been trying to get some blueberries going but I don't think my ph is right.

I frequently drive to michigan and see their blueberries from the roads and I would love to have my own farm and a orchard.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Grow lots of stuff here in the GSF, and the gardener just keeps right on through the cold weather now that she has a greenhouse. I would think blueberries would be good for your soil Expat they like more acid and we grow them here. Hard part is keeping the birds off of them.
    I remember them growing commercially in Starke county west of you when I used to visit that area.

I would love to have a greenhouse. That would be awesome!!

BuickGS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Winamac
    I grew Pumpkins last year. Started late and they take up some room. If I grow them this year I will have to start sooner and have them further away from the rest of the raised beds. I did well with Peppers.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Butternut squash keep well in a cool place into the winter, or you can roast and freeze it. Onions will keep quite awhile too. Herbs for drying can save a lot of money.

You can grow a lot of things, but as the OP posted in SHTF, I'm guessing he means as a prep. A garden is a worthy endeavor. But over time, as a prep, your garden is only as good as your ability to preserve and use it when you need it.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    We have tomatoes, all kinds of peppers (bell, banana, jalapeno, cayenne, etc.), onions, squash (acorn and butternut typically), watermelon, cantaloupe (some muskrats decimated them last year), strawberries, horseradish, and several herbs. This is all in a residential lot in Indianapolis. The primary garden is a 1/4 circle with about an 18' radius in the corner of the yard. It gets crowded with the vines, but I'm pretty good at telling a squash from a melon :), so it's not bad and the vine cover keeps the weeds down.
    The strawberries are a nice border plant around our regular back yard flower beds (truth above, robins and occasional chipmunks beat us to the ripe ones if you're not quick) and the herbs are scattered among the regular landscape shrubs and annuals. For God's sake don't grow mint in anything but a container, or don't bother. My horseradish is under an ornamental tree in a small bed and grows enough each year to keep my hams and steaks happy. I tried some raspberry & blueberry bushes, but they didn't produce much and they're a bit too cumbersome (spreading both above and below ground) as a regular landscape item. They would be better in some spot you don't mind getting taken over by thick tangled bush.

If you are able to get into it this spring, enjoy!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Hazelnuts, maples (for syrup), apples, wineberries, raspberries.
    Pumpkins, butternut and yellow squash, zucchini, rhubarb, asparagus, potatoes, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, kale, okra (yuk), several kinds of tomatoes, pole beans, bush beans, eggplant, Jerusalem artichokes (beware-they take over), sweet corn, snow peas, snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, kambucha, watermelon, cantaloupe, green peppers, banana peppers, spinach, Swiss chard, onions.
    Oregano, chives, cilantro, spearmint, fennel.

Really want chestnuts someday.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Were gonna try spaghetti squash this year and dehydrate it for winter storage and prep. We have been trying newer things every year to see what works best. Made tomato powder last 2 years also. Worked out great since we have had a over abundance of tomatoes. All of our gardening is done in raised beds also. We have no yard to speak of it is all garden. We plant cabbage and peppers along the house in the old flower beds.

st8kfinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2016
    north east
    I wanted to make a garden last year but I had 2 back surgeries. This year I'm going to try and have one.

Anyone have luck on growing berries? Getting apple trees

I have had a garden for a few years now and have helped several people with their gardens (I'm the guy with the tiller) and gave away enough plant starts and veggies to feed a small army. I'm going in for back surgery in less than a month, I will see if anyone returns the favor when its time to till and plant. This last year I only got a couple hand fulls of berries, the birds really like them and we had a bad storm that blew all the blossoms off our apple trees so we didn't get any apples.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Chives, garlic and rhubarb out of the ground here:

20170214_132329_zpsrvxfqcfa.jpg

20170214_125219_zps43vnnxgl.jpg

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Gonna try some raised beds this year. I just got my seeds in the mail yesterday. Gonna try a Carolina repear this year!

Top Bottom