• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    So I live in a apartment and have a small porch and I would love to have a garden but my space is limited, I'd like to grow tomatoes and herbs and basically anything that doesn't need a lot of space or prep, and I was thinking if I could build some kind of standing wall with small pots to grow from, and help from the pros

st8kfinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2016
    north east
    Tomatoes and herbs are pretty easy to grow, good soil and plenty of sunlight go a long way. Ace hardware sells black gold potting soil pretty cheap and its supposed to be good stuff and from what i have read you don't have to add any fertilizer to it to make stuff grow. I picked up some natural & organic to grow herbs and cherry tomatoes in pots to keep it out of my garden and closer to the house.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Cayenne peppers can grow well in a bucket. Just keep the soil moist when it gets hot and make sure they get sun.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Try some Pole beans in a bucket or pot.Run some strings up to something for them to climb.12-16 or so plants will produce well.If you are interested,PM me and I will send you some Heirloom seeds you will love.

whitemamba91

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2017
    South Bend
    i have seen on pintrest(greeat for gun and gardening ideas) people turning patios into small home gardens. also look at plants that can grow on a trelis. that way you can grow up instead of out to save space.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @whitemamba91 I was thinking about that idea thanks, I'm a big fan of tomatoes so I think I'll grow those, maybe even cucumbers I'd love to try to make pickles

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    If you haven't done so then check youtube for 'container gardening'. There's so many videos on it you would miss this years growing season watching them all. We're going to do more containers this year. We've got tons of land but lack the time & energy to deal with a large garden. What we don't grow then we'll buy from the Amish shop not too far away. Some things we'll probably get there anyway due to the cost vs convenience aspect. They have a 50 pound bag of Idaho potatoes for about $10. One less thing I'll have to weed all summer long.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My tip: unless you need to save $$ and plant huge plots, if they sell them as plants, buy those instead of seeds. I found the effort and lost starts from trying to start from seeds is well worth the cost of the plants. I probably wasted as much money on the stuff to do the starts as I would have to just buy the handful of plants I ended up with.

At least for my tomatoes, the hardest part of them was getting them to the 4-6" size.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My tip: unless you need to save $$ and plant huge plots, if they sell them as plants, buy those instead of seeds. I found the effort and lost starts from trying to start from seeds is well worth the cost of the plants. I probably wasted as much money on the stuff to do the starts as I would have to just buy the handful of plants I ended up with.

At least for my tomatoes, the hardest part of them was getting them to the 4-6" size.

THIS.

Several times I started many seedlings, only to watch them die then go to the big box store and buy plants to replace them. I lost time and money.

The only issue is there's a lot of varieties of mail order seeds that can't be bought as plants.

Top Bottom