Looking into a honeybee hive, any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've talked with people about honey bees for a year or two, but haven't ever made it happen. My motivation for getting them is pretty simple, I'd like to have them onsite to pollinate what I hope will someday become a thriving orchard and secondly I'd like to help the bee population out. We don't use much honey over the course of the year, and for all the maintenance of a bee hive let alone the additional honey processing equipment I'd have to buy I'd really rather just let the bees keep their honey and have that much more of a stronger hive the following year. I understand that to many the extra time and effort to get a good honey producing hive is worth it and maybe someday it'll be that way for me, but for now I'd really rather not have any extra chores in my life. I'm already spread too thin.

I've talked with a buddy who's into bee keeping and he thinks where I'm talking is an ideal spot to have them. He's been doing it for years and was pretty excited when I mentioned it to him.

For anyone here who's a bee keeper, can you think of how to setup a hive to where all I do is the bare minimum. I get that I'll have to insulate the hives for winter etc, but otherwise I really don't want to do anything besides set boxes out back with bees in it and wish them the best of luck. Is that something that's even feasible?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Left unattended, a hive wont last long. When I did it a while back, we had mite trouble, swarming, queens being killed, and skunks bothering the hives. Started with 4. 2 were wiped out the first year.
    Here is a list of just the diseases that can wipe out a hive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_diseases_of_the_honey_bee

Let somebody else put a hive there and maintain it if you want "set it and forget it." Depending on where you are and how big of an orchard, I know a guy who does just that. It's gotta be worth his time, and 1 hive certainly isn't.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I am in the school of thought of letting someone else set up hives on your property. Maybe offer to purchase the actual hives and let them maintain them and collect the honey at no charge. You get the benefit of having the bees around to polinate, you get to help the population, you don't have to maintain them, he gets more hives and more honey production. It seems like win win all the way around.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    It is an expensive hobby . The bees themselves ( nucleus starter hive) decent bee suit , smoker, etc.
    It is a challenge to keep them healthy .....varoa mites ( mentioned earlier) robbing of the hive from wasps and ? , you could lose the entire hive to odd weather and swarming also .
    There are local support groups to help out and answer questions , .......but be prepared to lose approx. 30% of your hives each year . If you have 3 , good chances you will lose one . They definitely are not maintenance free .
    When I did have bees , my garden was a lot more productive . We also had a neighbor fairly close with 30+ hives , but moved away . There has been a noticeable difference in productivity with what I grow since he left .

rosefarm10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2015
    Milford
    I farm just across the Indiana line. Guys out here are slinging so many insecticides I gave up after three years of EXPENSIVE trials. Find a club or group that meets regularly and get informed first. Then give it a shot. There is so much crap floating in the air in the mid west I question whether it will be possible to raise them at all in the future. FWIW

Rock River

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indy/Morgan county
    Ok I'm going to disagree with about all the comments so far. I've been keeping bees for 20+ years. Like most hobbies it's only as expensive as you let it be. Look into making a top bar hive yourself, its dirt cheap rather than buying a Langstrom setup. Some years I've left mine alone (not robbed the honey, maybe opened once or twice to check on them) because life is too busy. Other years I've been in the hive every other week and harvested gallons. I use my local Beekeepers club extractor for a $5 fee when I do harvest, or I just use the crushed comb method if I want to do a quick couple of frames. You don't have to insulate hives in the winter and mites aren't a problem for me when I use screened bottom boards (especially in a top bar hive for various reasons). I don't use any chemicals and I rarely lose a hive. Swarming is a normal process (hives method of reproducing) and still leaves you with an active healthy hive.

Your biggest expense will be the bees, expect $100-$130 if you order on the web. I'd recommend you join a local club, you can probably get a captured swarm or a small nuc for around $100. If you plan to open the hive much you will need a smoker and I'd recommend at least a veil to start but you can find them cheap, especially if you ask around a club. I tend my bees in shorts, flip flops and no veil unless they seem pissy because I don't like being hot! I get stung maybe 3 times a year.

I highly recommend you try it, they are awesome.... and we need more people helping them.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Most of what's in the area is probably 50/50 farm ground with all the nasty sprays on it and people with big backyards that either mow it or let it go most of the year and hack it down once or twice without spraying anything on it.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Ok I'm going to disagree with about all the comments so far. I've been keeping bees for 20+ years. Like most hobbies it's only as expensive as you let it be. Look into making a top bar hive yourself, its dirt cheap rather than buying a Langstrom setup. Some years I've left mine alone (not robbed the honey, maybe opened once or twice to check on them) because life is too busy. Other years I've been in the hive every other week and harvested gallons. I use my local Beekeepers club extractor for a $5 fee when I do harvest, or I just use the crushed comb method if I want to do a quick couple of frames. You don't have to insulate hives in the winter and mites aren't a problem for me when I use screened bottom boards (especially in a top bar hive for various reasons). I don't use any chemicals and I rarely lose a hive. Swarming is a normal process (hives method of reproducing) and still leaves you with an active healthy hive.

Your biggest expense will be the bees, expect $100-$130 if you order on the web. I'd recommend you join a local club, you can probably get a captured swarm or a small nuc for around $100. If you plan to open the hive much you will need a smoker and I'd recommend at least a veil to start but you can find them cheap, especially if you ask around a club. I tend my bees in shorts, flip flops and no veil unless they seem pissy because I don't like being hot! I get stung maybe 3 times a year.

I highly recommend you try it, they are awesome.... and we need more people helping them.
    :yesway: this.I made the mistake once of not having the hives out in the yard.They were down the road.......And you need to have them right there so you can mess with them.I always keep a clean ready to go super ready,and almost always,the new swarm will go right into it....Also,have your buddy set up some,and you can help him,and learn and you will be able to get the swarms yourself,and keep your cost down.It is alot of fun,and they only get pissy when the weather gets cooler,and they are preparing for winter.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I responded earlier leaning towards a negative response . I was taught by others that the Langstrom hives are superior ? ......and that is what I used .
    After reading Rockrivers response , I did a little research regarding the Top Bar hives , and have a more open mind that this style does have some advantages that are worth considering . I may myself try building one of my own and giving it a chance .
    Find a local group , and try to find a mentor . You can read all you want about it , but it is very reassuring to be along side someone for some hands on experience .
    A top bar may have been a better fit for me . ? Glad for this site . You always do hear from both sides no matter what the topic.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    If a person is not interested in honey, and only wants the pollinators...is it possible / feasible to encourage / keep a nest or several of bumblebees around? I know they're a different deal than honeybees, but all the people I've talked to are "honeybee people" so I haven't heard as much about this other approach.

Rock River

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indy/Morgan county
    'Native' bees are another option if you're just looking for pollinators. I don't know a lot about them but you basically put nesting materials out to attract them which basically I've seen as cross sections of wood with a bunch of holes drilled in them. I don't think they sting either. A google search would yield details.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    I had three hives last year, two absconded and one froze out. I like doing it but have not found my pot of honey yet. I was planning on making mead from honey and fruits from my trees. And give to friends and take camping. I like the idea of having an extra skill too. I made my own top bar hives. I did buy an expensive suit. I plan on trying again this year. With top bar hive you way fewer bees coming at you. That being said one hive that absconded was huge, but only mabe ten bees would ever swarm me and I was never stung. It think it it still a worth while pursuit. They work their whole life away for things they will never see.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Unless you are wanting the honey, (for sale or consumption) you shouldn't have a hard time getting bees to come. I live in New Castle and I grow pumpkins. Every year, the blossoms are jam packed with bees.

Pumpkins aren't the best for bee hives, but fruit trees are good. Just by planting the trees you are helping out the bees.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I'd love to have bees for my gardens, fruit trees, and the honey, to bad it is such an expensive hobby.

$189 for three pounds of bees, and a queen at Rural King, not to mention the hives, and supporting equipment.

Maybe some day.

Big Rigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I will second the camp that says it's a lot of work. That first year will be the most busy as you try to build up the colony. If you do go for it, I would recommend getting a couple three hives if you can afford it. That way you can help the weaker hive with a stronger one, and it wouldn't be that much more work. To me, the most work is just getting setup and ready ready to crack the hives open.

Top Bottom