• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Just now, I threw into my water softener a 50 pound bag of solar salt. I looked at that waist high stack of solar salt and thought, that could preserve a lot of meat if the electricity went away and the water softener was irrelevant. Historically, salt is worth more in trade than gold.

Are there any faults in this thinking? Salt is cheap and easy to acquire. At the present time......

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I thought the same thing and based on my research Solar Salt is the "purest" water softener salt to store. I bought 80#'s and put it in food grade buckets for the same reasons you thought. I will get some "pink" salt for adding to the cure but my 80#'s is a good start. Even just for nutrition I can crush it and use it. Cheap prep for a vital mineral.

rosefarm10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2015
    Milford
    A suggestion for what it is worth. Go to your local farm and feed store and pick up the square salt lick blocks for cattle. Easy to store, stack, break apart when space is a limitation.

whitemamba91

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2017
    South Bend
    on salt bags some are for rusty water or water with smells. does that have any added chemicals to make that happen or are all bags the same consumption wise??

Big Rigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Unrelated note to OP, but still on water softeners. What is the more economical way to run your softener; put in one bag and let the system run for a shorter time, or fill up the tank full and run for a longer time?

Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    I am pretty sure when your softener cycles it will run the same flush with hopper full or almost empty.

I know the solar salt is the purest. I had clumping problems in a house with low water usage. Talked to softener guy and he told me the pellets and blocks have glue to keep shape. Not sure if this is true, just relaying what a "pro" told me. Switched to solar style and never another problem the next five years.

Top Bottom