ALERT!!! Pork shoulder roasts 99c per pound (AGAIN) at KROGER. That is all.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Already called the local Kroger meat man, have two cases set aside! The whole summer's worth of pulled pork in one fell swoop!

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Picked some of that up this morning. Got it all chopped and it's currently marinating until my grandsons birthday party this Saturday. We're going to grill them Filipino BBQ style.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I always smoke extra when I'm doing them. I can fit about eight big ones on the smoker.

I double wrap them in heavy aluminum foil when I'm finishing them off on the smoker for the last 4 or 5 hours.

I then let the extras cool down before putting them in a ziplock bag and freezing them.

Once I get ready to reheat I just take the foil wrapped roast and place on a pan with small sides to catch any liquid that might escape if a hole was punctured in the foil. Heat on about 200-250 for a couple hours.

I think they are better once they are frozen and warmed back up. The juices remain in the foil and when they are allowed to cool the juices are reabsorbed into the meat pulling the seasoning and smoke flavor all through the meat.

Then when you heat them back up out comes the juices again. Kind of like a natural marination process.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    What’s your recipe?

1 Pork Shoulder- chopped to 1 inch long but thin strips. Then marinate them in the mixture described below.
    Mix the ingredients below, Incorporate all the sugar into the fluids.
    1 large can of pineapple Juice
    1 can of Pepsi
    2 heads of garlic finely diced
    1 cup of brown sugar
    1 cup of white sugar
    Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
    Salt and pepper to taste
    The longer you marinate the better it taste.
    Don't forget to soak the wooden skewers in water before you use them.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    What is the best way to make pork shoulder? I bought one of these and we were gonna crock pot it...but last time it seemed kind of fatty. I like the idea Audie had above, I may try that. But what are some other ideas? I don't have a smoker. I thought about maybe coating it in dry rub and putting in the oil less deep fryer, think that would work?

Thanks

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    What is the best way to make pork shoulder? I bought one of these and we were gonna crock pot it...but last time it seemed kind of fatty. I like the idea Audie had above, I may try that. But what are some other ideas? I don't have a smoker. I thought about maybe coating it in dry rub and putting in the oil less deep fryer, think that would work?

Thanks

Here's my favorite slow cooker recipe. Notice the cook time...14-16 hours on low. This low-and-slow process will render most of the fat out of the meat and will do away with the connective tissue. I also smoke them on a Weber Smokey Mountain, but the same concept applies...low and slow. The flavor of this rub and associated ingredients is fantastic imho.

The nice thing about using a slow cooker is that you can reclaim all the moisture from the shoulder, let it cool, and remove the fat from the liquid entirely (it will solidify on top). After you've pulled the pork, you can add some fat-free liquid goodness back into the meat. Doesn't get much better than this. I obtained the smoked paprika and smoke salt from Amazon.com for not much money at all.

How To Make the Best Pulled Pork in the Slow Cooker | Kitchn

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN

Thanks

We have a smoker and I LOVE smoked meat....wife not so much!!

So this way will work if you do or if you don't have a smoker. I coat the meat with a spicy brown mustard and then rub it with a simple four part rub. (equal parts of brown sugar, salt, pepper, and paprika.)

If I feel like enjoying the shoulder to the max I will smoke it for four or five hours and finish in the oven. That usually results in the meat being awesome and the wife not so much.

If I want to be a good boy and have the meat turn out user friendly for all I will just place it in a pan in the oven at 250 for 8-12 hours covered in foil. Cook time will vary based on the size of the cut. Once it starts to fall apart just pull it out and let it rest. We then proceed to pull the pork and add some of the juices back in once done.

I like this one because it gets great results, is easy to remember, and uses common items most have in the house.

Speaking of simple recipes....If you love peanut butter cookies this is the BEST I HAVE EVER HAD!!!! Sooooo simple and amazing.

1 cup peanut butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 egg

That's it!! every ingredient you need....just THREE!

Bake at 350 8-10 min and they are done.....SOOOO GOOOD!

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Picked up 8, cooked one down right away and froze the rest.

I did a Hawaiian style pulled pork. Put it in the pot with a good dash of coconut milk and chicken broth, added 2 bottles of Hawaiian Wing Sauce (pineapple and coconut...could have just added some of this but the sauce was on sale too!), cooked low on the stove top in a cast iron Dutch oven for 3 hours. It broke apart just stirring it with a spoon.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Speaking of simple recipes....If you love peanut butter cookies this is the BEST I HAVE EVER HAD!!!! Sooooo simple and amazing.

1 cup peanut butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 egg

That's it!! every ingredient you need....just THREE!

Bake at 350 8-10 min and they are done.....SOOOO GOOOD!

So im a sucker for PB anything, so I have to try this. Do you recommend crunchy or smooth peanut butter?

Top Bottom