• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csprig9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    Anybody ever made any, there's a million different ways to make it apparently, what is your opinion of the best way and what's the best way to store it, I'm guessing in a freezer bag in a food grade bucket with lid is the best? Thanks for your answers

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    U could just vac seal it in a bag and be done, I saw a vid a dude opened a ziplock bag and it had been in his backpack for 2 years and he ate the stuff

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I have made it. If there are a million ways to make then 999,999 of them are wrong. It's the most basic recipe there is beyond boiling water. Water and flour. Maybe some salt, if one is feeling adventurous that day. If well sealed and kept dry it will last a very long time. You can eat it dry but you better have great faith in your teeth and your dentist. Otherwise it's best used as a filler in other liquidy dishes like a soup. Or your coffee.

csprig9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    I have made it. If there are a million ways to make then 999,999 of them are wrong. It's the most basic recipe there is beyond boiling water. Water and flour. Maybe some salt, if one is feeling adventurous that day. If well sealed and kept dry it will last a very long time. You can eat it dry but you better have great faith in your teeth and your dentist. Otherwise it's best used as a filler in other liquidy dishes like a soup. Or your coffee.

So I'm guessing if I pack it away in freezer bags with some boullion cubes I should be good to go

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    I made some 10 years ago with my son for a Boy Scout project.  I used water, flower, salt and a bit of molasses.  Mostly because of the scouts but it was a real recipie.   We made a huge batch and the kids were not interested in them.  I packed them four to a zip lock bag. Had the in the cupboard since just to see how it goes.  10 years on still in the bags, no bugs, no mold, brick frick'n hard! I think the key to hard tack keeping is low heat with long bake to get rid of moisture, and keeping from moisture, like jerkey or biltong.  But like previously stated, soften before eating!  I would bet if you want to taste, I think I would go extra salt and dryer oragano would be some flavor without hurting anything but in the end.....it is hardtack.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I recall reading that it used to be made and it was known that it would have bugs in it when you went to eat it, so you softened it in some liquid and skimmed the larvae off the top of whatever it was.

Oh, and here's the obligatory :puke:.

Blessings,
    Bill

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I've tried making it twice and haven't gotten it to be as hard as I think it should be. The recipe I went off of was 4 cups of flour, 2 cups of water, and 3 tablespoons of salt. Bake 30 minuters per side and let sit a few days. Mine still came out kind of soft in the middle.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Don't be afraid to put back in the oven. I would say 175 for another hour or two will dry it out nicely. Open up the oven door about 15 minutes and let moisture out, or crumple up a foil ball and prop it open about an inch.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Hmm. The recipe I found said 350-375, and half hour each side. I ended up leaving them a little longer but still not hard enough.

Might roll them out just a smidge thinner next time as well.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    It lasts a while I would say. About 153 years.

[video=youtube;Ga5JrN9DrVI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga5JrN9DrVI&t=323s[/video]

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It lasts a while I would say. About 153 years.

[video=youtube;Ga5JrN9DrVI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga5JrN9DrVI&t=323s[/video]

I have a set of silverware that looks exactly like that, except without the inlay. I wonder if they are as old.

Top Bottom