• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Just purchased a blue, never used 55 gal. food grade barrel that I plan to use for long term drinking water storage. I intend on filling it from my city water faucet. Does this water need any treatment for long term storage or just fill the drum from the tap and close it up?

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    The product on Amazon is just bleach.........read the reviews . Liquid bleach does go bad over time .
    I agree with Dudley, keep it sealed, out of sunlight and change of temperatures if possible . Treat it when you need it .
    You would be better off making your own " Bleach Stock " from powdered Calcium Hypochloride (78%) It is mainly just stronger pool shock .
    Pool shock from Wal-Mart is around 43% I think . ......There are formulas online that explain the ratio to make your own when you are ready for it . 1 pound of it can treat up to 10,000 gallons of water.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    [h=1]Thanks for the advice. Purchased a pouch of Calcium Hypochlorite.[/h][h=1]https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009S85LEA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/h]

Big Rigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the link. That's an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of before. I knew bleach eventually goes bad after a while, but if you can make your own that solves the problem.

I have used hydrogen peroxide before to help with sulphur smells out of the water heater. Can it work as well, and does it eventually go bad just like bleach will?

Just noticed Spencer Rifle link...... That's pretty much the stuff.

Here is a link to an related article :
    Better than Bleach: Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water | Ready Nutrition

draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    The product on Amazon is just bleach.........read the reviews . Liquid bleach does go bad over time .
    I agree with Dudley, keep it sealed, out of sunlight and change of temperatures if possible . Treat it when you need it .
    You would be better off making your own " Bleach Stock " from powdered Calcium Hypochloride (78%) It is mainly just stronger pool shock .
    Pool shock from Wal-Mart is around 43% I think . ......There are formulas online that explain the ratio to make your own when you are ready for it . 1 pound of it can treat up to 10,000 gallons of water.

Keep any bleach shock double or triple sealed. I had some stored in an empty plastic mayo jar and it degraded the plastic. The jar was inside a plastic tub with some metal items which are now a pile of rust.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Experiencing no electricity after a hurricane convinced me to have a 300 gallon crude water storage and two of those 55 gallon food grade drums for potable water before the next one rolled through and gave us two weeks of Gilligan's Island. The 55 gallon drums are simple to siphon out, sterilize, rinse and refill.

Top Bottom