• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themurseman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Greenfield
    I am a nurse and am very interested in emergency first-aid. My background is that I was an EMT-B and then went to nursing school and have worked critical care for 10 years. If anyone has any questions or comments in this area I would like to see them in this string. I would also like people to share what medical supplies they keep stocked. Look forward to hearing from all of you.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Fish antibiotics
    Surgical kit
    Where There Is No Doctor
    Where There Is No Dentist
    Physician's Desk Reference
    Wilderness Medicine
    H-bandages
    Several types of tourniquet
    Anti-diarrhea pills
    Standard first aid kits
    Quik-Clot
    Super Glue
    Suture kit, including staples and remover
    Burn Gel

I'm sure there will be more as I remember

Training - Lifeguard, FA/CPR, AED, O2

Would like but don't have:
    Metronidazole
    Epinephrine

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Murseman, you should look into a WFR (Wilderness First Responder) 40-hour.

Combined with your EMT-B, it becomes a Wilderness EMT Cert., which is a whole different ballgame. It's an expensive cert to maintain, but if you're interested, could mean neat new employment opportunities.

-Nate

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Murseman, you should look into a WFR (Wilderness First Responder) 40-hour.

Combined with your EMT-B, it becomes a Wilderness EMT Cert., which is a whole different ballgame. It's an expensive cert to maintain, but if you're interested, could mean neat new employment opportunities.

-Nate

What job opportunity would exist from having a Wilderness EMT certification over a regular cert?

I have never seen that ever talked about. EVOC and TECC might raise a eyebrow but even then no one cares as they will send you to the course if they want it done.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    What does Hamilton County have to do with Hoosier National Forest?

Mr. Miller, this:

I am...interested in emergency first-aid. ...Look forward to hearing from all of you.

...meant he wanted to hear from us. I gave a tweaked perspective on some other options that are available for employment in the field, combining maybe an interest in the outdoors for a lot of readers on this Forum. My post was made IN LIGHT of knowing he probably didn't have experience in that area of Emergency Medicine, and was also intended for the rest of humanity that comes across this thread in their travels.

You don't have to like it or understand it, same as you didn't have to read it.

-Nate

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    What does Hamilton County have to do with Hoosier National Forest?

Mr. Miller, this:

...meant he wanted to hear from us. I gave a tweaked perspective on some other options that are available for employment in the field, combining maybe an interest in the outdoors for a lot of readers on this Forum. My post was made IN LIGHT of knowing he probably didn't have experience in that area of Emergency Medicine, and was also intended for the rest of humanity that comes across this thread in their travels.

You don't have to like it or understand it, same as you didn't have to read it.

-Nate

Glad I don't have to understand it, enjoy your move to California.

You still never said what employment opportunities exist with a wilderness cert.

I have yet to see a EMS employer in Indiana that ever asked or cared about a wilderness cert...

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    You still never said what employment opportunities exist with a wilderness cert.

So when Spencer says:

Where There Is No Doctor
    Where There Is No Dentist
    Physician's Desk Reference
    Wilderness Medicine
    ...I'm guessing they weren't referring to needing those references, or antibiotics, on a bus or in a squad car. You are the only one who has taken this thread straight to employment opportunities. (seemingly as though that's the only reason to know a thing, and employment in a field the only verification that a person knows something about it)

If you use your brain a little to extrapolate beyond 'YOSAR', you might find that there are lots of places where a W-EMT would be a major asset. SAR, Wildland Fire, Border Patrol, Forest Service, even COs and FWOs could benefit by knowing what is offered from both and EMT-B and WFR.

But you won't. You know what there is to know, and all that Indiana has is all that you'll ever need.

Mr. Miller, have you been through WFR training?

If not, I guess you don't really have license to be so critical of 40+ hours of exposure to care methods NOT in the toolbox of most in the profession except maybe Combat Medics.

When you want to continue to jousting, kindly shoot me a PM. I'd say we've hijacked this thread long enough.

-Nate

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Chuckles. Well, at least I can laugh about stepping on my own d*#$ from time to time.

No, I don't imagine a wilderness cert would change a bus EMT's SOP. Didn't claim it would.

-Nate

Top Bottom