• ...and so much more!
  • gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    From the article:

"I have a very high IQ and can talk to you about physics all day. I'm just common sense dumb."

Uh, huh. Riiiiiight.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I think I worked with that guys dad.
    It was probably 30-35 years ago, in a steel factory, before this dipstick was born evidently.
    This nut fell WAY far away from the tree. Dad is (was) NOTHING like this story suggests the son to be.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    When did King Tut get into making improvised fragmentation devices?

636292515111451060-BANDY-Robert-William-II.JPG

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    From the article:

"I have a very high IQ and can talk to you about physics all day. I'm just common sense dumb."

Uh, huh. Riiiiiight.

I knew a guy like that, in the USMC, he could talk over your head, all day long .....

But he needed instructions, to wipe ..... Book smart, everything else dumb .....

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So you guys are taking his word for his IQ and for the notion that he can discuss physics with intelligence?

How cute.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    From the article:

Uh, huh. Riiiiiight.

Hah! I have yet to meet anyone with a high IQ who felt the need to tell people they had a high IQ. I've met people who believed they had high IQs who told people about it, but they were wrong either about the actual number or their belief that it was high or both. In this case, it's likely that he grossly overestimates his mental acuity.

Asperger's? :dunno:

More likely unrealistic self-image and a lack of self-awareness.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hah! I have yet to meet anyone with a high IQ who felt the need to tell people they had a high IQ. I've met people who believed they had high IQs who told people about it, but they were wrong either about the actual number or their belief that it was high or both. In this case, it's likely that he grossly overestimates his mental acuity.

:)
    I have a high IQ
    :)

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Yep
    Anyone truly intelligent is intelligent enough to realize just how gauche it is to brag on his own measured potential intelligence level.
    I say potentially intelligent because it's still up the individual what he does with his brainpower, which requires much more than just a good test score.
    There are plenty of highly intelligent people who live in mommy's basement playing video games, but it takes character, motivation, and good old fashioned hard work to actually achieve something with that brain.

When my daughter was young, we had her tested, and she scored well above genius level.
    My wife and I agreed not to tell her what she had scored until she was older and mature enough because we didn't want her getting overconfident and falling back on her laurels without having achieved something first.
    I finally told her not long after she had graduated from high school, where she did very well, and her mouth fell open.
    I just told her that her very high level of intelligence is all for naught unless she applies it fully.
    For the last two semesters, she has had a 4.0 at Manchester.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I guess I can mutate this thread, since I started it:
    Our oldest daughter might never have been tested, AFAIK. Didn't really need to test her though. She never got below an A throughout her entire school career, including college, until she got a B in indoor soccer in Costa Rica because she had to come back to America before the final. In HS, valedictorian (4.11 GPA), co-captain of the CC team, Academic Super Bowl state champion team, stage manager for the play, Lions Club International Leo of the Year, homecoming queen. Soon going back to Beijing for intensive Mandarin (speaking AND writing), and then off for a graduate linguistics degree at Columbia. I'm sure she's way up there, but that means nothing without the determination she also has. She continually amazes me.

Though I doubt she has ever tried to make a grenade.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I guess I can mutate this thread, since I started it:
    Our oldest daughter might never have been tested, AFAIK. Didn't really need to test her though. She never got below an A throughout her entire school career, including college, until she got a B in indoor soccer in Costa Rica because she had to come back to America before the final. In HS, valedictorian (4.11 GPA), co-captain of the CC team, Academic Super Bowl state champion team, stage manager for the play, Lions Club International Leo of the Year, homecoming queen. Soon going back to Beijing for intensive Mandarin (speaking AND writing), and then off for a graduate linguistics degree at Columbia. I'm sure she's way up there, but that means nothing without the determination she also has. She continually amazes me.

Though I doubt she has ever tried to make a grenade.

Pfffff, what a waste......:): (Just kidding, I know you have to be super proud of her.)

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Here's the thing - when many of us were kids, we made all sorts of things that went poof. Back then it was called applied chemistry or tom foolery experimentation. Then if you got caught it more than likely would mean a talking to or something severe family side and sometimes someone lost a finger or three.

Today the law is absolute and without much leeway.

I bet he knew he could get in trouble. Wonder if he knew how much. If he did, why would he leave them lying around? And if he was a master planner of mass destruction, again, why would he leave them lying around?

Top Bottom