• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Years ago I bought my kids a set of Cobra MicroTalk CTX450A radios. The reason I chose these was two(three) fold:

1: Drop in charger
    2: Used rechargeable AAA batteries (NOT Proprietary NiCD/NiMH bricks*)
    3: (Could be used by adults if the SHTF. *AAA can be scavenged, Bricks notsomuch)
    4: OK, FOUR fold; I wasnt going to spend $30 for toys that broke quickly and ate batteries left and right and only went 100yds because they were toys.

Several years ago the factory rechargeables died and I was able to figure out the trick to how it detected whether rechargeables were installed or not and modified a new set of rechargeables to fit and work with the charger base.

Today I went to use them for my plumbing project and discovered one has died. It receives OK but as soon as you key the mic it locks up and even turning the knob to *off* doesnt change anything. It still is powered up and backlight on. (just like a liberal; lights are on but nobody is home:):)

So I went to find a new set of radios with the same first two points. After 30 minutes of digging I cant find either. Now its either drop in charger with proprietary battery bricks or maybe rechargeable with a cord, or Alkaline AAA only.

Anyone know of a decent set of GMRS radios that fits the bill? I dont mind spending $75 or so for the set because its worth it in the end when you figure in the cost of batteries over the life, etc.

I even tried ebay to find replacements to go with my base. None there.

If it werent against FCC regs, I would buy a couple Baofengs and and program them to only use FRS/GMRS channels and then lock the keypads. But apparently that wont quite fly if you follow the rules by the book.

Suggestions?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    If I may, why is the drop-in charger important to you? To me, it seems like if you have a SHTF scenario, you're going to find scavange-able cords faster than the drop-in made for that radio, and may find one that would let you charge from a vehicle as well. Also, why not have the kids sit for a HAM Tech license, or even a General (Extra, if they can manage it!)? I recall when I sat for mine, there was talk of someone as young as 8 earning a Tech license.

And again, if the SHTF, who has or doesn't have a FCC license is going to be a total non-sequiter, y'know?

Blessings,
    Bill

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If I may, why is the drop-in charger important to you? To me, it seems like if you have a SHTF scenario, you're going to find scavange-able cords faster than the drop-in made for that radio, and may find one that would let you charge from a vehicle as well. Also, why not have the kids sit for a HAM Tech license, or even a General (Extra, if they can manage it!)? I recall when I sat for mine, there was talk of someone as young as 8 earning a Tech license.

And again, if the SHTF, who has or doesn't have a FCC license is going to be a total non-sequiter, y'know?

Blessings,
    Bill

The drop in and FCC discussion are for today, not SHTF. Neither of those features matter then. Those features are used today for convenience and its great. My kids have no trouble dropping them in when done and its great. And this model also worked with a cord. (the same cord that drives the cradle) That design was perfect in every way in regards to flexibility.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Looking at this table, I think you want the ones that are listed as having "Alkaline/NiMH Battery Pack" under the column labeled "Battery Types".

Is this the type of thing you are looking for: https://www.amazon.com/Midland-LXT535VP3-22-Channel-24-Mile-Range/dp/B007B5ZQ1K

Mine will work with both AAA or rechargeables.
    https://www.amazon.com/Midland-LXT600VP3-36-Channel-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B007B5ZR4G

Be aware that the FCC is changing the GMRS rules, under 2 watts will be legal without a license.

Thanks guys. That helps. Now to find the set that also has the feature of the cradle cord also charging the units individually.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    If you haven't bought yet, I bought a set of Cobra CXT565 with exactly your same requirements although these have AA batteries rather than AAA. Walmart in Avon had them for $59.99 I think. A big plus for these, they are waterproof or at least claim to be!

Matt

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you haven't bought yet, I bought a set of Cobra CXT565 with exactly your same requirements although these have AA batteries rather than AAA. Walmart in Avon had them for $59.99 I think. A big plus for these, they are waterproof or at least claim to be!

Matt

Awesome, thanks!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Found them on EBay even cheaper. Walmart doesn't seem to carry them anymore. Not sure if that's a bad thing or not.

Matt

Amazon probably has them. If I am lucky, the Plainfield DC has them and I get free same day shipping. If I'm unlucky Whitestown has free next day shipping that so far 25% of the time seems to disappear between the warehouse and the USPS and I have to reorder. No exaggeration. Ive had numerous packages vaporize from that DC. "Your package has left the facility and is en route to the carrier" 4 days later USPS website still says "this tracking number was generated but never arrived at the USPS center" But I digress...

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    #1 Your radio that dies probably only needs charged or if it wont charge then a new battery. What you describe is indicative of a radio with just enough power to receive and no more.
    #2 Buy your Baofangs if you want. Your only restriction is transmitting on licensed bands like 2 meter. Everything else the radio covers is fair game for you.
    #3 If communications during an emergency are important to you...get licensed. Not because the FCC is going to care, but because you will learn some basic electronic and communication theory. And it's not hard. Children, YOUNG children, routinely
    pass even the Extra Class test. That knowledge will serve you well in a grid down scenario.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    #1 Your radio that dies probably only needs charged or if it wont charge then a new battery. What you describe is indicative of a radio with just enough power to receive and no more.
    #2 Buy your Baofangs if you want. Your only restriction is transmitting on licensed bands like 2 meter. Everything else the radio covers is fair game for you.
    #3 If communications during an emergency are important to you...get licensed. Not because the FCC is going to care, but because you will learn some basic electronic and communication theory. And it's not hard. Children, YOUNG children, routinely
    pass even the Extra Class test. That knowledge will serve you well in a grid down scenario.

1: Already figured out how to replace the proprietary batteries with new rechargeables. (cut the label off the negative end so the recharge contact can do so) That didnt work, and neither did putting in brand new alkalines. Its dead, Jim. :):
    2: Alread have 3 BFs and a Technician license. However there is grey area about non licensed users operating them on open frequencies. I recall reading since they CAN be programmed to operate on the licensed frequencies, AND the BFs are not licensed under a specific FCC section, its not legal for use on open frequencies by non licensed individuals. (other radios do have the necessary device type, so not all handheld radios are the same. And besides, I can buy a set of GMRS radios for the cost of one BF. (of course if the SHTF, I wont care about that restriction)

Top Bottom