• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I had a couple more "self venting" :rolleyes: gas cans that were getting ready to be discarded a couple years back. I was so tired of huffing a face full of fumes every time I pulled the plug on a heat bloated plastic can. While shopping for more metal cans, I ran into this cool replacement spout at Rural King. It pours well and the flip top vent solves all the problems designed into the "self venting" cans.

Looks like they are cheaper with the discount linked here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0kc8Hbfo1w

[video=youtube;K0kc8Hbfo1w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0kc8Hbfo1w[/video]

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    the government mandated "Safety" gas can spouts are DANGEROUS. They take three hands and even at that are awkward. They do not lend themselves to small appliances like weed trimmers or gas leaf blowers. You end up needing a funnel because of the stupid mechanism. That introduces another complexity. You do not have the ability to trickle a well controlled small stream. SO many levels of failure. Pretty much like anything liberal bureaucrats touch, that regulation is a complete failure. You can tell those who made the regulations have never done their own yard work. Once again, the 1950's solution is still valid.

I found out about the EZ pour spouts and the problems are solved. I recommend them. Too bad the plastic spout is about the same price as a gas can.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Does anybody know if it'll work on the two cans on the left?

2F658382-67A7-429F-BF77-E9EBD07ACDB6_zpsrcpc53oi.png

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The EZ pour kits I got had two different threaded nuts to fit the spout to a variety of gas cans. One of them matched up to each can I had.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    Menards sells them local as well. I switched about 5 years ago to the metal eagle brand 2 gallon and 5 gallon gas cans. I have a plastic fuel can that also has bar oil tank. I put these on both sides of that can. -Jason

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Do these actually seal well? I hate knowing the gas is venting (not really for environmental reasons). I also hate having the smell in your car etc when transporting. Thanks!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    They seal as well as anything else. The yellow vent cap is a plastic snap that I suppose breathes enough to keep pressure from rupturing the container,

I am also really sensitive about gas in the car. A neighbor woman was getting mower gas when I was a kid, and put the can in the back seat floor board. She came up to a traffic light and the car filled with flames and killed her. They thought it was fumes that got ignited by the brake light switch.

I bungie my gas cans to a pan like you use to drain motor oil to be sure it does not tip over, and if their are any drips, they don't get in the trunk carpet. And then I minimize the trip to have the can of gas in the trunk for the shortest time possible. An open truck bed is probably better, but I only have cars.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do these actually seal well? I hate knowing the gas is venting (not really for environmental reasons). I also hate having the smell in your car etc when transporting. Thanks!

Sounds like you want a metal can with a rubber sealed lid? I don't trust ANY plastic can inside a vehicle.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I can't stand the compliant type of nozzles out there these days. I have a very large and wide funnel where I put that in the tank and just completely the nozzle. That won't work for everything, and where it can't apply, I use Nato Jerry Cans that I used to be able to buy without having to get the California compliant crap nozzles. I hope people continue to find solutions to these problems.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I saw a video awhile back and if I have time to hunt it down, I'll post it later but it showed a guy simply snapping a piece of the safety device off of the spout and using a de-valved, tire stem as the vent cap.

My cans are old enough that they didn't have the safety spouts but they also didn't have the vents either. The tire valve stems did work but they seemed easy to break. Not too long ago, I found the plastic, flip top, vents for sale on E-bay. I bought a bag full of them for just a few dollars. Simply drill a 1/2" hole in the are where the vent is supposed to go, a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet, and good as new.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I saw a video awhile back and if I have time to hunt it down, I'll post it later but it showed a guy simply snapping a piece of the safety device off of the spout and using a de-valved, tire stem as the vent cap.

My cans are old enough that they didn't have the safety spouts but they also didn't have the vents either. The tire valve stems did work but they seemed easy to break. Not too long ago, I found the plastic, flip top, vents for sale on E-bay. I bought a bag full of them for just a few dollars. Simply drill a 1/2" hole in the are where the vent is supposed to go, a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet, and good as new.

That was easier to find than I thought it would be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI

I don't remember which vendor I bought them from but I bought something like these:

http://www.ebay.com/i/361356202886?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My mail carrier threw mine on the sidewalk by the front door about an hour ago.

I guess the last two step to my stoop was just too much for her.

Hope to get mine put on tomorrow.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I just bought one of the Eagle 5 gal. Safety Cans. Pull the handle and pour it as fast or as slow as you want. Let go of the handle and it's sealed. Easy-peasy. Should be the last gas can I'll ever have to buy.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have a couple of Chilton brand plastic cans that have a shoulder about a 3/4 of an inch long long before the threads begin. I have not been able to find replacement spouts for it.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    Sounds like you want a metal can with a rubber sealed lid? I don't trust ANY plastic can inside a vehicle.

I don't either and won't transport liquid fuel in a trunk or passenger compartment in anything other than a NATO jerry can. All plastic cans will eventually leach fuel, and all that I've seen have fittings that deform over time so their seals fail.

Plastic cans are great for filling though, and I usually use the No-Spill ones. CARB compliant but actually easier to use for filling than old style nozzles.

Top Bottom