Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I Care...Really

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post

And don't worry about totally killing the sound for secrecy. When your house is the only house on the block still with lights on during an outage, whether they can hear a generator or not, it will be obvious you have one.

We have a black out policy. For obvious reasons.
    Cover the windows and go full grey.

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    We have a black out policy. For obvious reasons.
    Cover the windows and go full grey.

Good idea. Observant neighbors will still notice. AC compressors are LOUD when there is no other noise around because nobody else's works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

I Care...Really

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    Good idea. Observant neighbors will still notice. AC compressors are LOUD when there is no other noise around because nobody else's works.
    Truth.

That is why in an extended black out be alert.

Grandmaster
    Church mouse made a good point about cooling air. I was at an outdoor wedding reception and the band was using a generator to run the PA. Because of the noise, they built a little shed around it with hay bales, it worked ok for a while. Shortly into the first set let's just say the band went from smokin' hot to flamin'.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Church mouse made a good point about cooling air. I was at an outdoor wedding reception and the band was using a generator to run the PA. Because of the noise, they built a little shed around it with hay bales, it worked ok for a while. Shortly into the first set let's just say the band went from smokin' hot to flamin'.
    All true, but a garage is a long way from stacking hay adjacent to the genset. More space, less flammable construction, and presumably some air circulation all go a long way.
    Government and pedophiles both practice buggering those powerless to defend themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I don't think you want to use your chimney. I would not vent it anywhere that fumes can mitigate back into the house. Chimneys work best when there is plenty of heat and volume to keep the fumes rising. Whatever size you think you need, buy the next size bigger. A big block engine at 50% load is better than a small engine at 100% load.

I may be talking apples, and oranges, but here goes .....

I was taught in the Mil., that a generator work best, at 70-80% output .....

I don't know if that is true of the "civilian" ones .....

Ex., 7000 watt, should be running about 4900-5600 watts .....
    I shoot slow, and hit every time!!!!!

Donald J Trump, is MY President .....

Why do you like them so much ?

Because they stand on a wall, and

say, NOTHING is going to hurt you,

NOT on MY watch .....

I Care...Really

Quote Originally Posted by SSGSAD View Post

70 to 75% of max load rating. If you push past that it will not end well for the genny. Just like a breaker they are rated at max inrush or start up load. A 12A sweeper might spike at 15/17 Amps momentarily until the stater gets up to speed and off the start winding. Then it settles in at its rated amp draw which a 20 A circuit will carry easily.
    Just because it says 5K watts on the side does not mean (and it won't) it will pull 5K full bore.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGSAD View Post

Not sure if you are correct, but I know power inverters act that way; You will get more efficient the more load you put on the circuit. The lower the load, the higher % of DC electricity is expelled as waste heat instead of AC current. (I learned way too much about this trying one of those "you cant get there from here" projects.)

Efficiency example:

Country Selection Page
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

In all honesty, a 12-15 kw Generac isn't "that expensive"... Like $3500k or so.

Then there's installation and the associated parts.

15kw is plenty for a ~1500 sq ft home.

My brother-in-law's 20kw Generac retails for like $4500. It's plenty big for his huge house.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

Jet beams can't melt steel fuel.

OK, lots of great info here guys, thanks! So, I'm looking at moving it out behind my barn (just want it out of sight, that's one of the reasons I was thinking of putting in the garage). Now, my next question would be, does anyone know how deep you have to put electrical lines in Indiana? I've got a septic field out there, so I'm concerned about how deep I would have to put the conduit and line. Also, I'm not sure how the tie in to the electrical box works (12V in a car I'm good with, anything other than ceiling fans and light fixtures I leave to the professional), could it be wired in so that the A/C Heat pump isn't on the generator? I'm just thinking that if I can get a smaller unit, then I won't have to have as large of an engine and maybe get a longer running time on a tank of fuel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast