• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Years ago, I purchased a package of antibiotics and put it in storage. I came with disclaimers of course, and some basic directions on use. I like the idea of having some of these on hand, but my prior purchase is getting some age on it. Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with a package of antibiotics for this purpose? Are they animal antibiotics? Going to the doctor for multiple prescriptions is inconvenient and perhaps not practical.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    As I recall expired tetracycline will wreck your liver. But other antibiotics are good long after their "use by" date. I think the army looked into it years ago because they have huge stockpiles and they're aging.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    As I recall expired tetracycline will wreck your liver. But other antibiotics are good long after their "use by" date. I think the army looked into it years ago because they have huge stockpiles and they're aging.

I didn't recall which one, but I did read that some antibiotics become toxic as they age. But then again, I've been risking my liver with adult beverages for years.

Rickshaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Last article I read that most antibiotics have an 8 to 10 year expiration. Add amoxicillin for most infections. Ciprofloxacin for urinary tract infections. Metronidazole is handy for the females (ie vaginal infections) except fungal.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Be careful with antibiotics. I mean really do your research, not only for dossage but also for expiration. Some antibiotics and other meds become toxic when outdated for a bit. If you're going this route don't be cheap. Throw out the old and buy new every couple of years at least. And I'd only be using that stuff if it was the end of the world as we know it.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I may be way off base, but I've decided not to stock up on any antibiotics for SHTF.

Instead, I've stocked up on basic first aid supplies and lots of different kinds of disinfectants, like betadyne, alcohol, and boric acid.

That decision was made at the advice of several medical professionals.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I may be way off base, but I've decided not to stock up on any antibiotics for SHTF.

Instead, I've stocked up on basic first aid supplies and lots of different kinds of disinfectants, like betadyne, alcohol, and boric acid.

That decision was made at the advice of several medical professionals.
    i think your doing right following the professionals recomendation. I think there will be more people harming themselves rather than helping themselves.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Join your antibiotics with a Physicians Desk Reference.

For sure. Absolutely need to have the right stuff that isn't expired, and know how to use it. But there are some things only antibiotics will remedy, and I don't intend to let an infected cut on my child's hand result in loss of an arm or death if it can be treated. The argument that we should "leave antibiotics to the trained professionals" is akin to the argument that guns should only be in the hands of police and military. Owning anything comes with the moral responsibility of knowing how to properly use and store it.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    For sure. Absolutely need to have the right stuff that isn't expired, and know how to use it. But there are some things only antibiotics will remedy, and I don't intend to let an infected cut on my child's hand result in loss of an arm or death if it can be treated. The argument that we should "leave antibiotics to the trained professionals" is akin to the argument that guns should only be in the hands of police and military. Owning anything comes with the moral responsibility of knowing how to properly use and store it.

I would never say that you shouldn't have antibiotics in your preps, or that only trained professionals should have access to them. I'm a big believer in DIY, and I applaud all those who aren't afraid to learn how to do things for themselves and for the protection of their families. For me, that's what prepping is all about.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Being someone who deals with antibiotics on a daily basis in my line of work as a clinical microbiologist, these types of threads just bother me to no end. There are more reasons to not take or stock up on antibiotics than there are to do so. The only thing I can say as someone whos had to set through a ridiculous amount of schooling is do your research on the subject, if you self medicate with one of these and you have an infection in which that class of drug doesn't cover, not only have you failed to treat the infection but there's a good chance you'll make yourself sicker and could potentially die as a result. Not to mention this is a way of creating increased resistance to other strains of bacteria. To which at that point there will be no treatment available and I'm hear to tell ya its the most sad thing to see when testing is complete on a specimen and all the antibiotics come off resistant..... :twocents:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Well, these are emergency SHTF supplies - it's not like we are using them daily for coughs and sniffles. It seems that resistance is being encouraged by the professionals. I've had physicians prescribe antibiotics for viral infections. Maybe it's a CYA operation, but it's not helping the resistance problem.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I certainly see your point, but if it was that dangerous to prescribe antibiotics for a viral infections, I would hope the professionals would stop doing it. But they haven't. I realize that there are other "certain infections" to be wary of, and we cannot replicate the experience base of practicing physicians. That's why we have medical people in our MSG.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Trust me when I say its not the Physician whos making the choice of antibiotic therapy, the lab scientist's (such as myself in what I do) give the pharmacists as to what antimicrobials are susceptible or resistant to certain drug, then the pharmacist will recommend dosage and class to the physician, the physician will treat off the information the we in the micro lab and the pharmacy has given him or her.... Not talking about prescribing for viral infections, all be it that is a HUGE problem that needs to stop (but patients are as much to blame for demanding antibiotics for every cough or sniffle they get as it is the physicians that prescribe them). If you treat a bacterial infection caused by say a certain Gram-negative infection with drugs used to treat Gram-positive you have an antimicrobial fail situation, which can lead to increase resistance, along with decreased normal flora and the over growth of the principal pathogen.. An that's just the start, if your unfortunately enough to be infected with a resistant strain of particular organism (which sadly is seen more and more) the antibiotics your going to have on had that's either oral or even if your lucky enough to get ahold of some injectable wont treat it anyway, so your just killing off good bacteria that's actually protecting you for nothing....

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Trust me when I say its not the Physician whos making the choice of antibiotic therapy, the lab scientist's (such as myself in what I do) give the pharmacists as to what antimicrobials are susceptible or resistant to certain drug, then the pharmacist will recommend dosage and class to the physician, the physician will treat off the information the we in the micro lab and the pharmacy has given him or her.... Not talking about prescribing for viral infections, all be it that is a HUGE problem that needs to stop (but patients are as much to blame for demanding antibiotics for every cough or sniffle they get as it is the physicians that prescribe them). If you treat a bacterial infection caused by say a certain Gram-negative infection with drugs used to treat Gram-positive you have an antimicrobial fail situation, which can lead to increase resistance, along with decreased normal flora and the over growth of the principal pathogen.. An that's just the start, if your unfortunately enough to be infected with a resistant strain of particular organism (which sadly is seen more and more) the antibiotics your going to have on had that's either oral or even if your lucky enough to get ahold of some injectable wont treat it anyway, so your just killing off good bacteria that's actually protecting you for nothing....
    do you think we Are close to another worldwide outbreak or massive killoff? Due to so many resistant bacterias? Are you seeing superviruses? For me I think this is a big concern especially if the power grid went down even in half the country for a week or even two or more. The unsanitary conditions that would be unavoidable and the lack of responders due to such a large area.
    I had started (a couple years ago) stocking up on the white suits (sorry I can't spell it; tyvex? I'd have to break a Mylar seal to see the name) also masks and face shields and heavy duty cut resistant gloves and leather gloves and rolls of duct tape. Just in case. I got them right so if we don't use them no harm done I'm just out alittle money that was worth the precaution. Also I can make our own bleach using pool chemicals as needed since store bought bleach only lasts a very short time on the shelf. I bought trays to use for disinfecting shoes when someone walks inside a building or tent ect (if shtf) just as a precaution. Also lots of alcohol.
    very interested in hearing any advice you may have on the subject of ways to avoid diseases and infections ect. Thank you for the good advice and first hand experiences so far

Top Bottom