• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I planted almost two hundred onions, the good storing kind, but the tops are all laying over from being too wet. And, that's in a raised bed.

My tomatoes are starting to show blight already, my green beans have lots of yellow leaves, and some of the potatoes are starting to look stressed.

Anybody else having problems with the rain?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We had a bad batch of onion bulbs. Only about 3/4ths of them came up and some of them are pretty weak looking while the rest are doing very well. We put 120 in the ground.
    Taters and maters are doing well enough.
    Cucumbers are starting to climb.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Haven't had to much rain here in nwi. My tomatoes, peppers, and cukes all looking good. Strawberries have had an excellent yield and still going strong

Family man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Southern
    My first 140' of potatoes got to wet this spring and rotted only 3 came up. Deer have wiped out all my green beans. Cabbage worms were a problem but seem to be under control now.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Haven't had to much rain here in nwi. My tomatoes, peppers, and cukes all looking good. Strawberries have had an excellent yield and still going strong
    Similar to Michiana. I have had to water a couple times already. But the garden has been pretty terrific. Had the first green beans and cabbage recently.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Here is the GSF rain has been less than up north, garden OK, but lost most of my grapes to black rot again.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Been a struggle with the weeds. I'll let you know when I find what's in them. :):

Nibbled my first small cucumber today.

Have had 1-2 Jalapenos and Hungarian peppers every other day for the the past week or so and an odd early green bell pepper or two. Happily, this year the pepper plants are looking great for the first time in a few years. Hopefully we will dodge whatever blight or virus they caught. So far 100% sun and lots of breathing/breeze room has worked.

Pretty heavy tomato pruning combined with Daconil treatments weekly and before rains has kept the early/late blights at bay so far...

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I had started a lot more tomato plants than usual, then my son brought me several more, so I decided to do something different with my tomatoes this year. I planted 24 plants in one 4x20 raised bed. Then I put a spare green bean trellis up over them (basically some 6' posts with a row of conduit across the tops) Then I put a length of baler twine down from the conduit to each plant. Then, as the plants grow, I prune all the suckers and wind the one stem around the twine as it grows up. I'll get fewer tomatoes per plant, but with more plants in a bed, I'm curious to see if the over-all yield is better.

I've got 14 more tomatoes in regular cages in other raised beds, in case the new system is a bust, but so far so good, except for the blight.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I had started a lot more tomato plants than usual, then my son brought me several more, so I decided to do something different with my tomatoes this year. I planted 24 plants in one 4x20 raised bed. Then I put a spare green bean trellis up over them (basically some 6' posts with a row of conduit across the tops) Then I put a length of baler twine down from the conduit to each plant. Then, as the plants grow, I prune all the suckers and wind the one stem around the twine as it grows up. I'll get fewer tomatoes per plant, but with more plants in a bed, I'm curious to see if the over-all yield is better.

I've got 14 more tomatoes in regular cages in other raised beds, in case the new system is a bust, but so far so good, except for the blight.

I doubled my tomato plants this year also. It always feels bad to discard plants at planting time. Also reasoned that a bad tomato year could still have a decent yield. Hopefully, I can keep up with them.

I did discover, kind of by accident, that the dehydrated herb seasoned tomato leather I made a couple years ago makes an excellent soup base. I'm anxious to push that a little harder with this year's yield.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I don't think I've ever had aphids attack my tomatoes before this year. Don't know if it's the wet conditions or what. Yesterday I mixed up some dish washing liquid with a bit of vegetable oil with a gallon of water and sprayed them all. With this rain today, I may loose my green beans.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We finally got a big rain here. It is at a really good time with the sweet corn putting their silk out right now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It has been dry except for some very minor showers in the early A.M. last few days.
    I have hand watered the potatoes as they are in pots with drain holes. I have not put any water on the garden in a few days. It was looking ready and we just had a soaking shower of maybe 15 minutes duration.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    My blackberries are getting sucked dry by those freaking Japanese beatles! They are leaving my blueberries alone tho. Just chewing leaves on those plants. Chives did poorly this year surprisingly. Tomatoes are a little behind for growth but I only use rain water and until today, I had been out for a couple days.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    The rain is helping out up here. My corn is already to my chin and the zucchini and cucumbers are growing like crazy. Had my first flower on my pumpkin patch today

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It has been dry except for some very minor showers in the early A.M. last few days.
    I have hand watered the potatoes as they are in pots with drain holes. I have not put any water on the garden in a few days. It was looking ready and we just had a soaking shower of maybe 15 minutes duration.

Right after posting this^^^^^^^the sky opened up and we had a duck drowner.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Think I might have over pruned some tomato plants. Some seem to have too much hanging fruit vs healthy green leaves. Timing was bad on my part and it snuck up on me. I was greedy also, not wanting to cull big green tomatoes.

Combined with fighting the blight, my two Roma's didn't make it. I got a fair handful of fruit from them, but they are dead.

Tried something I got lucky with last year with a plant that died early on. I pulled the dead plants and pruned a healthy sucker from another plant. Shoved as much sucker as possible into the hole and refilled with compost. Last year, end of season, it was hard to tell the new plant from those planted originally. We'll see.

In other news, I put four cases of salsa up this weekend. :rockwoot:

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Pulled my onions yesterday. Just little small things. Worst harvest ever.
    Zukes died off early from some disease, worst ever.
    beans and corn doing great this year.

Top Bottom