Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Tell me about it, mine just went out and I felt like a baby. Thanks to a family friend we got a brand new carrier unit and a new evaporator coil for $1,300 installed. Couldn't beat the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ghitch75 View Post
    my aunt is 87 and she has no AC and doesn't want any.......the other day i told my mom i was going to take her a AC and mom said don't she will get mad at me
    Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    If you never had it your body will adjust the same as it does through the seasons. I can stand the cold pretty well once my internal thermostat adjusts to it. Same with the heat.
    Plus, most old people like it hot.

Right, CM?

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

I didn't grow up with AC. My parents couldn't afford to run one anyhow. My grandparents don't run theirs much and I am sure they didn't grow up having one.

AC feels weird to me and I have to shut if off and open the windows or just go outside. I can only stand it for so long.

Non of my parents vehicles had working AC nor did mine or my wifes vehicle have working AC for a lot of years.

We pulled the blinds in the house and had box fans running. Spent a lot of time in the basement hanging out and cooking down their. I even would sleep down their on a cot. I can close my eyes and picture mom down their canning tomatoes and boiling sweet corn.

My neighbors are crazy! They turn the heat off in the spring and the AC starts right up. Never a break.
    I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on.

They had trees around their house that kept some cool air close to the ground that kept the home's cool. They also didn't have neighbors with heat pump machines blowing out the heat from their homes heating up the neighborhood. Think about it, close neighbors with big AC units just heat up the area so you need AC too. I used a fan in the window up until the 2nd week of June when I had to turn the AC on.

I Care...Really

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Plus, most old people like it hot.

Right, CM?
    Well.....Uh........I guess.....

I Care...Really

Quote Originally Posted by jfed85 View Post
    Tell me about it, mine just went out and I felt like a baby. Thanks to a family friend we got a brand new carrier unit and a new evaporator coil for $1,300 installed. Couldn't beat the deal.
    That is about what they cost.

Sharpshooter
    Died of heat stroke

Look at how homes were constructed prior to AC, in particular the height of their ceilings and the size, shape and quantity of windows, plus their design and how they were used. They were constructed for convection with hot air exiting at the very top while pulling in cooler outside are at the bottom. With electricity came fans to move air through. Windows and doors were opened at night for cooler air to move in, and some homes had screened in sleeping porches in back where the family slept at night. This was in an era that didn't see the frequency of home invasions and burglaries, many of them armed, as we do today. If people lived like this today, the wolves would be preying on them in a heartbeat.

John
    United States Army, Retired

Didn't have a/c in the house until maybe 15 years ago. It is actually too cold when you have been outside working and come in for the day. I prefer a gentle breeze outside to cool naturally. When I was a kid, and the temp got above 90 or so, dad would come home in the evening and take us for a drive down through the "creek bottom". It would cool you down naturally. We had one fan in the house and it was in mom & dad's bedroom. If it got too hot, we would sleep on the porch. Too hot in the day and we would go to the river, creek or stone quarry. Great times!

I Care...Really

Quote Originally Posted by kolob10 View Post
    Didn't have a/c in the house until maybe 15 years ago. It is actually too cold when you have been outside working and come in for the day. I prefer a gentle breeze outside to cool naturally. When I was a kid, and the temp got above 90 or so, dad would come home in the evening and take us for a drive down through the "creek bottom". It would cool you down naturally. We had one fan in the house and it was in mom & dad's bedroom. If it got too hot, we would sleep on the porch. Too hot in the day and we would go to the river, creek or stone quarry. Great times!
    That is how we grew up but when we moved into the city the evening drives etc were no more.
    No porch to sleep on we toughed it out. 1 fan in a window front of the hose pulled the night air in through the windows. That was it.

We survived. Agreed....great times.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast