What Did People Do Before Air Conditioning?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Block/insulate from the sun/heat, create airflow, and allow a means for accumulated heat to rise/escape from the home.

Architectural features of homes, prior to air conditioning:

• All/part of the house underground (deep basements, split-level homes)
    • Wraparound porches for natural shade
    • Thicker walls, made of naturally insulating materials (e.g. brick)
    • Taller rooms (10-14 feet)
    • Ceiling fans
    • Transom windows
    • Larger windows (double-hung, to allow hot air to escape during the day, cool air to enter at night, and drapes to block the sun)
    • Basement-to-second floor airflow via open windows
    • Building on blocks
    • Reflective roof materials
    • Three-season, screened rooms ("sleeping porches")
    • Tower/turret (or roof cupolas) to allow heat to rise/escape
    • Shade trees planted on appropriate sides of the home to block summer heat (e.g. for us, south and west)

And perhaps most importantly: learning to be accustomed to summer heat, and not being made artificially unable to handle it, thanks to air conditioning.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Go back long enough and they didn't know any better!

Have a friend in upstate NY that still doesn't have AC, says it just doesn't get hot enough to need it.

Minifire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2017
    USA
    The human body can get used to anything. I think they just didn't feel hot temperatures like we do. I remember when I was a child it was not a problem for me. As well as 40 degrees temperature when I was ill - I knew that it was dangerous level, but the fever wasn't uncomfortable, like now... I also didn't suffer when I was flying in airplanes - pain in ears didn't bother me. Probably, I was simpler and healthier.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Must be Global Warming :rolleyes:

Best Answer - We Sweated :rockwoot: Very Few had AC in home or businesses. The department stores had those slow moving ceiling fans. AC was an expensive option on autos and many had no AC. AM radio Only because there was No FM. We Survived ;)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Seneca, the stoic philosopher, mocked the "skinny youths" who ate snow to keep cool rather than simply bearing the heat like a real Roman ought to.

Here's an interesting related question, what effect has A/C had on our country?

For one thing, sun belt cities that had been unbearable during the summer heat became more attractive places to live. A/C thus facilitated a long term shift of the U.S. population to the south.

And, lest we forget, LOTS of people around the world STILL make due without A/C (esp in Africa and southern Asia).

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Seneca, the stoic philosopher, mocked the "skinny youths" who ate snow to keep cool rather than simply bearing the heat like a real Roman ought to.

Here's an interesting related question, what effect has A/C had on our country?

For one thing, sun belt cities that had been unbearable during the summer heat became more attractive places to live. A/C thus facilitated a long term shift of the U.S. population to the south.

And, lest we forget, LOTS of people around the world STILL make due without A/C (esp in Africa and southern Asia).

Another effect is the closed home. Little if any fresh air.
    Businesses are sealed up as well. The feds made schools put in fresh air make up systems to replenish the oxygen in the buildings.
    Businesses are now required to turn the air over as well.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    We went outside and baled hay. That way, when you came inside and sat in front of a box fan in your 93 degree livingroom, it felt cool.:D

Oh, and turn the whole house attic fan on. We was fancy like that.:@ya:

Top Bottom