• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    There are multitudes of DIY videos/charts/posts/whatever on the internet about building a BOB/Assault pack, so that's not really what I'm looking advice for. Over the past few weeks I feel like it's suddenly hit me how unprepared I am for an event while on the road, so I'm starting to build an assault pack. Something that I can pull from my trunk, and last me three days for a trek home. The question I have for you today is, what in your opinion, is one (or two) extremely under rated items that you include in your packs that you have no idea how you did without them before.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just recently added a set of Vortex compact binoculars to my bag. Added a nice neoprene case that they just fit in. Nice enough binocular that they should do the job when you need them to. Cheap enough that if they had to be sacrificed for weight or space consideration, it wouldn't be a huge investment to lose.

Then there is the VIP warranty. If they did have to be stashed along the way, when recovered any damage is covered under warranty, regardless of cause.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    2 pair of dry socks. one standard cotton, one wool blend. And possibly a pair or two of undies too.

NOTHING says "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" like a change of socks and/or underwear in a crisis. Showering is nice, but a change of skivvies is a close second.

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    Several "zip ties" and a small pack of baby wipes for me. Zip ties can be used from repairs to securing. Wipes for obvious cleaning, used ones for fire tinder. Of course, a pack of chewing gum is a big moral booster for me while walking.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Seems of late the world is loving the clif bars. Was given a sample three pack went right into bug out bag.

once the basics of water shelter and fire are covered all else is just optional. Shelter is a small trap. Water is three bottles only but enough to get started and fire is a BIC lighter new in package with a small tin of strike anywhere.

Water is heavy. Freezes if left in trunk in winter. Can leak ect. Maybe just get a six pack and switch out once in a while. Keep it out of the pack for storage.

I have seen some bags that were more suited to an infantry man with weight around 70-90 pounds. I guess call me a minimalist.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Here are the things that I use out of my bag day to day.

Water
    Headlamp
    Batteries My flashlight, headlamp and cellphone charger all use rechargeable 18650 cells.
    Battery charger for my 18650 cells
    Babywipes
    Meds pain, allergys, heartburn and itch cream.
    Sunscreen
    Bug-spray

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Salt and pepper, hot sauce, instant coffee
    Something to cook in Stanley makes a nice all in one cup.
    By definition an assault pack should sustain you for 48-72 hrs not recreate civilization.
    Unlike most interweb forums everyone here on INGO suggestions make sense.
    Like a good multi tool instead of a machete!

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Sawyer Water filter, first aid kit, some food and drink mix, lighter,,compressed towels small knife and binoculars. I've always kept either a blanket or extra coat in my truck and a pair of undies and old jeans.....Just in case of the personal type of emergency. I think I may add extra socks and bug spray now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Salt and pepper, hot sauce, instant coffee
    Something to cook in Stanley makes a nice all in one cup.
    By definition an assault pack should sustain you for 48-72 hrs not recreate civilization.
    Unlike most interweb forums everyone here on INGO suggestions make sense.
    Like a good multi tool instead of a machete!

Most every day I have a Gerber multi-tool on my belt. A good flash light and a ZT 301. It is like an EDC package.
    Add my EDC and the belt is pretty full.
    Not everyone does this but I am always involved with fixing/diagnosing something. Unless we are out socially I am working when I leave the house.

The bag has the basics to survive for 72 hrs if I mind my P's and Q's. Its content's (both trucks) are changed seasonally.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    2 pair of dry socks. one standard cotton, one wool blend. And possibly a pair or two of undies too.

NOTHING says "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" like a change of socks and/or underwear in a crisis. Showering is nice, but a change of skivvies is a close second.

You actually wear underwear? Gave that up after a two week field exercise.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I just recently added a set of Vortex compact binoculars to my bag. Added a nice neoprene case that they just fit in. Nice enough binocular that they should do the job when you need them to. Cheap enough that if they had to be sacrificed for weight or space consideration, it wouldn't be a huge investment to lose.

Then there is the VIP warranty. If they did have to be stashed along the way, when recovered any damage is covered under warranty, regardless of cause.

I love a decent pair of cheep binos, but warranty is for "normal" times. If things get so dicey you have to stash them as you E&E, then society isn't doing too well. Good chance it's too late, and they are out of business already, so no warranty.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    At JFK center they taught us to change our underware daily.
    • Monday new underware
    • Tuesday turn them around backwards
    • Wednasday turn them inside out
    • Tursday wear them inside out and backwards
    • Friday throw them away.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At JFK center they taught us to change our underware daily.
    • Monday new underware
    • Tuesday turn them around backwards
    • Wednasday turn them inside out
    • Tursday wear them inside out and backwards
    • Friday throw them away.

They did not teach you to throw them against the wall. If they stick toss them out. If not just run threw the process listed again.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Mechanics gloves, thinsulate toboggan (knit cap, ski cap, watch cap for you northerners), bic lighters, vet wrap, instant coffee, a little phone charger that takes a cr123 battery, 2x50 gallon contractor bags, pair of lineman's pliers.

Similar to sheltowee, I carry a tiny wonderbar in my pack. It is only 4 or 5 inches long. It is not going to pry a door off the hinges, but it saves my knives a whole lot of wear and tear for off lable uses.

My "assault pack" or "go bag" or whatever, is not so much something I keep in case of zombies or NorKs, it is a bag full of handy stuff that I generally have fairly close. I'm always robbing and replacing stuff from the bag (zip ties, ammo, paracord, toilet paper, tools) and that tells me I am packing the right stuff.

Top Bottom