• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I wanted to start a thread on what we can learn from the recent hurricanes. I want to be respectful of what is going on right now and will happen with Irma. Many people look at Katrina as a huge learning point and now that I am awake, I want to keep tabs on what i can learn from things.

Just post things you learn from what you know.
    Thanks!

I am listening to a podcast of a guy went down to help.

Stuff he needed:
    The staples food, water shelter are all issues
    Tarps and rope
    gas
    capable vehicle
    Bleach a need (mold and stuff)
    Chain saw

Some lessons
    Day 1 After: People were friendly and easy to get along with and helpful.
    Day 2 After: Security became an issue (no huge incident, but he noticed day 2 that there was a change in the people). People be came less friendly, and the national guard was then carrying rifles with mags and were more tense.

Many of the relief organizations were disorganized and bound by procedure and process.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    A hurricane is a natural disaster just like any other natural disaster.

No one plans or stockpiles for this, if there is anything to be learned it is to plan that the next natural disaster is going to be tomorrow.

My first eye opener was the ice storm of '91, my dad used a chainsaw to carve a tunnel to get off the property, our house was on the front page of the news paper, no power for two weeks in freezing cold. We had blankets over open doorways, all doors closed, used the oven for heat, stayed/slept in the kitchen as it was the only heated room, ate dry goods and water. I was 10 years old, I remember it like it was yesterday.

Been through some bad floods, blizzards, ice storms, big snow events, and tornadoes since then including helping out after the Henryville tornado which was a huge eye opener.

Be prepared for everything, stay stocked up, buy when on sale. Always be prepared for a gun fight even in a natural disaster as people loose their minds, kit up, prepare for battle, stay in shape.

If there is one thing I have learned being down here in Florida during this hurricane it is route planning as no one coming from South Florida knows how to get out of here, they have grid locked the roads, with good mapping and planning I am able to fly down roads that others don't even know are there, in Indiana I knew all the roads and how to get everywhere, here I am studying maps/phone while trying to push as hard as I can, looking back I would have done more mapping/route planning to get places.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Duct tape.
    Plastic bags.
    A watch. (Cell phones die quick)
    Emergency radio
    For recharging cell phone without running a genny, I have a car battery on trickle charge, and an inverter.
    Matches and fire sticks (the clicky things)
    Board games

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . .No one plans or stockpiles for this . . .

This is what gets me and really makes me wonder, "why?"

I mean, natural disasters happen every so often on various scales; every few years, every decade, etc., depending on severity. Power failures are quite common due to electrical/wind/ice storms, hurricanes are a fairly regular occurrence for folks in those areas. Flooding is fairly common and seasonal in many areas. SoCal is going to get another big quake, almost guaranteed. Those of us who are at least middle-aged can't even remember all the various disasters that have occurred here and there over the years (because there have been so many, NOT because our memory is failing :oldwise:).

So why don't people plan better for events that have an almost 100% certainty over, say, a decade or two? Yeah, yeah, I know, normalcy bias, optimism, bias, etc. But wow.

If people don't plan for this kind of thing, then you know things like societal collapse, EMP attack, etc. are totally off people's radar. Their brain isn't even going there.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    In our first world world, society just believes that we can just go the store and get anything tomorrow, be that groceries or a house.
    Quick funny story:
    My wife started something with the kids that when they were younger in the summer, every time it rains they would bake cookies together. We were talking with neighbors about it, and they wondered why we always had the stuff to bake cookies on hand. Let's see flour, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, salt baking powder, and chocolate chips. Not too out there!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I mean, natural disasters happen every so often on various scales; every few years, every decade, etc., depending on severity. Power failures are quite common due to electrical/wind/ice storms, hurricanes are a fairly regular occurrence for folks in those areas. Flooding is fairly common and seasonal in many areas. SoCal is going to get another big quake, almost guaranteed. Those of us who are at least middle-aged can't even remember all the various disasters that have occurred here and there over the years (because there have been so many, NOT because our memory is failing :oldwise:).

So why don't people plan better for events that have an almost 100% certainty over, say, a decade or two? Yeah, yeah, I know, normalcy bias, optimism, bias, etc. But wow.

If people don't plan for this kind of thing, then you know things like societal collapse, EMP attack, etc. are totally off people's radar. Their brain isn't even going there.

People in general, not all, seem to be only able to accept some things on one level when they "read" or "hear" about it. They have to have it happen to them to accept it.
    That's the same with people that can't understand why someone would want to "defend" themselves. They haven't had it happen to them, so they can't imagine it. Even though they read in the paper, or see on TV, instances EVERY DAY of people being hurt/robbed/raped/killed.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    In our first world world, society just believes that we can just go the store and get anything tomorrow, be that groceries or a house.
    Quick funny story:
    My wife started something with the kids that when they were younger in the summer, every time it rains they would bake cookies together. We were talking with neighbors about it, and they wondered why we always had the stuff to bake cookies on hand. Let's see flour, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, salt baking powder, and chocolate chips. Not too out there!

And just like Dorky says here, people imagine they can just go to the store.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC

Why? Money! There are 45 million people in the U.S. living below the poverty level. Many of them on the very lowest income level. The really poor people are usually worrying about food on the table today and will worry about the future when it gets here.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I lived in Houston for 12 years 1994-2006. I saw 1994, 1998, 2001 record floods. Evac'd in 2005 ahead of Rita. Wife was there for Ike in 2008.

My advice is get out of Dodge, +1 for route planning. If you can leave you should. No power, no water, roads closed, no fuel and no food. Sound like fun?

The problem with IN disasters is they come quick like a tornado and blizzards. Then you need to be prepared to shelter in place until you can leave as needed.

My $.02

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Bill Mahrer is now mentioning that "climate deniers" are in the path of Irma.

I guess Hurricanes are new and never happened before.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Don't get me started on the Left's narrative that Houston reaped what they sowed. I guess strong economic growth, good jobs affordable housing (the real kind) just gets their goat. I'm sure Houston could do more, but flat, hardpan clay doesn't drain fast enough for 50 inches of rain. Sorry to hear their new target is Floridians. They act like they are the ones with compassion!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The poor worry about food for today. Bills at end of week ect.

You don't see those of us prepped up a bit crying on TV about lack of gas water rice and beans. Call it economic disparities of social position or what you will. Not a rich man here by far but family is good for three weeks to three months depending on comfort level they are talking about. In three weeks the kids won't like what they eat. In three months they will still have food.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The poor worry about food for today. Bills at end of week ect.

You don't see those of us prepped up a bit crying on TV about lack of gas water rice and beans. Call it economic disparities of social position or what you will. Not a rich man here by far but family is good for three weeks to three months depending on comfort level they are talking about. In three weeks the kids won't like what they eat. In three months they will still have food.

Preparing may take more time for people that don't have money, but not impossible (unless you're living on the streets). It just takes more time.
    Setting aside a little of the staples just requires a little discipline. A case of water here. A little rice there.
    Yes, money makes it go faster. And you can get better stuff.
    But the person with money can often evacuate easier.
    Those without need to prepare.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    1. Water was the 1st resource store ran out of as expected.
    2. The average American has less than half a tank of fuel at any given time most between an 1/8 and a 1/4. Fuel will run out quickly reinforcing the point if you reside more than 100 miles from a major city you are safe from most of the sheeplike ones.
    3. The basic BUB is essential for everyone in the household even pets and children.
    4. The government told everyone to run away! With nowhere to run to shelters were overrun with no supplies. No defined zones of evacuation some just drove north? some into the storm.
    5. Beware of declaring an apocalypse the people will not respond if you scream "the sky is falling" because you are scared of what might happen.
    6. Disaster Management Types seem to be very political people there will be lots of patting on backs and telling everyone how great the plan they developed played out. I have participated in several simulations with them at on point in my career. They do not respond well to "chaos".
    7. You might want to consider get the family shots for some of the common hazards found after a disaster. Just tell the DR. You are going to Central America they will hook you up!

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Mil-spec legit chem lights, lanterns suck and put off to much heat and fumes, you would not believe the relief cracking a couple of those and hanging them from the ceiling fans brought last night, got them going again tonight as there is no power.

Will be ordering more!

Peaceful, dark, and calm here in Florida tonight, I think we are still in shock from last night.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Duct tape.
    Plastic bags.
    A watch. (Cell phones die quick)
    Emergency radio
    For recharging cell phone without running a genny, I have a car battery on trickle charge, and an inverter.
    Matches and fire sticks (the clicky things)
    Board games

You can put alligator clips on a in car phone charger and tap right off the battery.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Mil-spec legit chem lights, lanterns suck and put off to much heat and fumes, you would not believe the relief cracking a couple of those and hanging them from the ceiling fans brought last night, got them going again tonight as there is no power.

Will be ordering more!

Peaceful, dark, and calm here in Florida tonight, I think we are still in shock from last night.

Good to see you posting....stay safe.

Top Bottom