Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Lessons to be learned from recent hurricanes

I wanted to start a thread on what we can learn from the recent hurricanes. I want to be respectful of what is going on right now and will happen with Irma. Many people look at Katrina as a huge learning point and now that I am awake, I want to keep tabs on what i can learn from things.

Just post things you learn from what you know.
    Thanks!

I am listening to a podcast of a guy went down to help.

Stuff he needed:
    The staples food, water shelter are all issues
    Tarps and rope
    gas
    capable vehicle
    Bleach a need (mold and stuff)
    Chain saw

Some lessons
    Day 1 After: People were friendly and easy to get along with and helpful.
    Day 2 After: Security became an issue (no huge incident, but he noticed day 2 that there was a change in the people). People be came less friendly, and the national guard was then carrying rifles with mags and were more tense.

Many of the relief organizations were disorganized and bound by procedure and process.
    Contact your elected officials. It takes a few seconds.
    http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

Ask me again in 48hrs...
    USA1

Post link to podcast if you can.
    Fierce defiance

A hurricane is a natural disaster just like any other natural disaster.

No one plans or stockpiles for this, if there is anything to be learned it is to plan that the next natural disaster is going to be tomorrow.

My first eye opener was the ice storm of '91, my dad used a chainsaw to carve a tunnel to get off the property, our house was on the front page of the news paper, no power for two weeks in freezing cold. We had blankets over open doorways, all doors closed, used the oven for heat, stayed/slept in the kitchen as it was the only heated room, ate dry goods and water. I was 10 years old, I remember it like it was yesterday.

Been through some bad floods, blizzards, ice storms, big snow events, and tornadoes since then including helping out after the Henryville tornado which was a huge eye opener.

Be prepared for everything, stay stocked up, buy when on sale. Always be prepared for a gun fight even in a natural disaster as people loose their minds, kit up, prepare for battle, stay in shape.

If there is one thing I have learned being down here in Florida during this hurricane it is route planning as no one coming from South Florida knows how to get out of here, they have grid locked the roads, with good mapping and planning I am able to fly down roads that others don't even know are there, in Indiana I knew all the roads and how to get everywhere, here I am studying maps/phone while trying to push as hard as I can, looking back I would have done more mapping/route planning to get places.
    Last edited by SMiller; 2 Weeks Ago at 20:58.
    USA1

Miguel, here is the podcast I was listening to. This is normally on guns and shooting, but this one was on his recent experience doing some cleanup in TX. It is not a definitive resource by any means, but got me thinking. Podcast 203 My Volunteer Time in Rockport After Harvey | Modern Self Protection

Duct tape.
    Plastic bags.
    A watch. (Cell phones die quick)
    Emergency radio
    For recharging cell phone without running a genny, I have a car battery on trickle charge, and an inverter.
    Matches and fire sticks (the clicky things)
    Board games
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

Actaeon - act'-tee-on
    The death of Actaeon - http://www.paleothea.com/Myths/Actaeon.html

Quote Originally Posted by SMiller View Post
    . . .No one plans or stockpiles for this . . .
    This is what gets me and really makes me wonder, "why?"

I mean, natural disasters happen every so often on various scales; every few years, every decade, etc., depending on severity. Power failures are quite common due to electrical/wind/ice storms, hurricanes are a fairly regular occurrence for folks in those areas. Flooding is fairly common and seasonal in many areas. SoCal is going to get another big quake, almost guaranteed. Those of us who are at least middle-aged can't even remember all the various disasters that have occurred here and there over the years (because there have been so many, NOT because our memory is failing ).

So why don't people plan better for events that have an almost 100% certainty over, say, a decade or two? Yeah, yeah, I know, normalcy bias, optimism, bias, etc. But wow.

If people don't plan for this kind of thing, then you know things like societal collapse, EMP attack, etc. are totally off people's radar. Their brain isn't even going there.
    Nothing is everything, but everything is something. - Ayoob

In our first world world, society just believes that we can just go the store and get anything tomorrow, be that groceries or a house.
    Quick funny story:
    My wife started something with the kids that when they were younger in the summer, every time it rains they would bake cookies together. We were talking with neighbors about it, and they wondered why we always had the stuff to bake cookies on hand. Let's see flour, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, salt baking powder, and chocolate chips. Not too out there!

Quote Originally Posted by cosermann View Post
    This is what gets me and really makes me wonder, "why?"

I mean, natural disasters happen every so often on various scales; every few years, every decade, etc., depending on severity. Power failures are quite common due to electrical/wind/ice storms, hurricanes are a fairly regular occurrence for folks in those areas. Flooding is fairly common and seasonal in many areas. SoCal is going to get another big quake, almost guaranteed. Those of us who are at least middle-aged can't even remember all the various disasters that have occurred here and there over the years (because there have been so many, NOT because our memory is failing ).

So why don't people plan better for events that have an almost 100% certainty over, say, a decade or two? Yeah, yeah, I know, normalcy bias, optimism, bias, etc. But wow.

If people don't plan for this kind of thing, then you know things like societal collapse, EMP attack, etc. are totally off people's radar. Their brain isn't even going there.

People in general, not all, seem to be only able to accept some things on one level when they "read" or "hear" about it. They have to have it happen to them to accept it.
    That's the same with people that can't understand why someone would want to "defend" themselves. They haven't had it happen to them, so they can't imagine it. Even though they read in the paper, or see on TV, instances EVERY DAY of people being hurt/robbed/raped/killed.

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

Actaeon - act'-tee-on

Quote Originally Posted by Dorky_D View Post
    In our first world world, society just believes that we can just go the store and get anything tomorrow, be that groceries or a house.
    Quick funny story:
    My wife started something with the kids that when they were younger in the summer, every time it rains they would bake cookies together. We were talking with neighbors about it, and they wondered why we always had the stuff to bake cookies on hand. Let's see flour, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, salt baking powder, and chocolate chips. Not too out there!
    And just like Dorky says here, people imagine they can just go to the store.

Actaeon - act'-tee-on

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast