Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Master
    The DMR radios are not that bad to setup. You just need to edit the code plug to include your DMR ID number, add your favorite freqs if they are not already in the codeplug, then upload the codeplug to the radio and you should be good to go. Make sure you keep a copy of the codeplug on your computer at home incase you need to load it in to another DMR radio. Make sure you have all the Talkgroups you want and make sure whatever you buy is two time slots and not just one. The Baofeng is single time slot and not worth diddly squat. Do not buy the cheaper DM5R from Baofeng...you will be sorry...it only has Time Slot 1.

Radioddity makes the GD 77...I like it a lot better than the MD380 I had. But to each his own. Never bought a MD390 so I don't know about that one. They also make a MD-398 too...no idea about that one either.

You'll need a valid license to get a DMR ID and set up your DMR radio.

Indiana has a pretty well established network of DMR enabled repeaters. I monitor talkgroup 3100 (USA) and see a lot of Indiana ID's keying up. Pretty much wherever you are in the state you should be able to reach a DMR enabled repeater, otherwise you can create a DMR hotspot using a Raspberry Pi and an additional module if you wish.

Get a TYT-MD380 for less than $100, install the updated firmware and the MD380Tools onto the radio and you're good to go. Check out the Hoosier DMR Facebook page or website and just import the codeplugs they provide.

As far as 2M/70cm radios go, a Baofeng is okay. Get yourself an additional battery and a roll up style slim-jim antenna that you can hoist up into a tree with some paracord and your range will increase comically over the stock antenna. With my Baofeng I can hit Cincinatti, Louisvile, Lawrenceburg and Indianapolis on 5 watts with my roll-up antenna that was made by another Hoosier ( Dual band 2m 70cm Slim Jim Antenna with 16' rg-58 ). In fact, just toss that stock antenna in the trash and replace it with a good whip antenna for portable use.

Use HamStudy.org to study for the test. I'm studying now to upgrade my license class so I can start using the HF portions of the amateur bands.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Master
    MD380 is single band....GD77 is dual band. There is no DMR coverage in Johnson County.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolBob View Post
    There is no DMR coverage in Johnson County.
    Can't reach any of these? https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeate...id=18&type=DMR

I live in Jefferson County but reach the one in Floyds Knob or Scipio. Both a decent distance away but come in just fine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    Can't reach any of these? https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeate...id=18&type=DMR

I live in Jefferson County but reach the one in Floyds Knob or Scipio. Both a decent distance away but come in just fine.
    Not with an HT. We're about 95 miles north of Jeffersonville....the little 5w Ht ain't gonna make it.

Dang. If you're still eager to get on the DMR network look into getting a Raspberry Pi and DVMega DV MEGA

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    Dang. If you're still eager to get on the DMR network look into getting a Raspberry Pi and DVMega DV MEGA

I have my GD 77 setup to work when I am in Indy with it. DMR is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolBob View Post
    MD380 is single band....GD77 is dual band. There is no DMR coverage in Johnson County.
    Theres what, one or two VHF DMR repeaters in Indiana?
    if you spend a lot of time on the coasts where VHF is somewhat more pravelent it might matter. Though I was in Boston a couple weeks ago and still found UHF Repeaters to work on....

Edit: though if your looking for a "do-it-all" radio, incl dual-band analog, then yea, that’s a good point.

-rvb

Last edited by rvb; 1 Week Ago at 17:57.
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4