Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1

    TYT UV8000E Radio Vs. Baofeng BF-F8HP Radio Ham

    I am not a super radio guy. I do not have my license. I do not use my radio illegally, so fear not. I took a class on basic radio stuff and I am thinking of getting my license. I also want to have some inexpensive radios on hand to communicate a little better than with FRS radios etc.

    I have a Baofeng BF_F8HP, which is basically an upgraded UV-5R. It has more frequencies, and it has 8 watts vs. 5. I know it is debatable as to whether the increased output is really that helpful.

    My question is, does anyone have any experience with the TYT UV8000E Radio? This seems like a really cool radio in that it has a built in repeater function. It also has a 10w output, which again may not be a huge improvement without an antenna and line of sight.

    Would it be worth getting to increase the com range (even a little) of my BF-F8HP and really even if I wanted to get some UV-5Rs as more of a handout, and/or cheaper way to get more radios? Thanks!
    Contact your elected officials. It takes a few seconds.
    http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

  2. #2
    Grandmaster Cameramonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Camby area
    Posts
    12,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorky_D View Post
    I am not a super radio guy. I do not have my license. I do not use my radio illegally, so fear not. I took a class on basic radio stuff and I am thinking of getting my license. I also want to have some inexpensive radios on hand to communicate a little better than with FRS radios etc.

    I have a Baofeng BF_F8HP, which is basically an upgraded UV-5R. It has more frequencies, and it has 8 watts vs. 5. I know it is debatable as to whether the increased output is really that helpful.

    My question is, does anyone have any experience with the TYT UV8000E Radio? This seems like a really cool radio in that it has a built in repeater function. It also has a 10w output, which again may not be a huge improvement without an antenna and line of sight.

    Would it be worth getting to increase the com range (even a little) of my BF-F8HP and really even if I wanted to get some UV-5Rs as more of a handout, and/or cheaper way to get more radios? Thanks!
    I know enough to be dangerous. But looking into the repeater function, make sure its a dual band repeater. (HT to the base on 70cm, it repeats on 2m) There was something about the single band repeaters that seemed to not make much sense in my mind.

    Though now googling that, its still only a handheld. I would want a full mobile to do any repeater functions as 10w still may not be as much distance as you want if we lose repeaters.

    And the UV5R is a good radio for what it costs. I like the fact that at $35, if I kick it off the dock while fishing its not the end of the world. Kicking an iCOM off the dock on the other hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

  3. #3
    Oh, yeah, I am not knicking the UV-5Rs. If I had to have one radio (on my budget) it would currently be the BF-F8HP over the UV-5R for the slight improvements. I am re-thinking my next radio(s) a bit more. Thinking of What if used a repeater at the house and had some other radios for my family to chat on in a doo doo hits the fan situation.
    Contact your elected officials. It takes a few seconds.
    http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

  4. #4
    Antenna height is going to be much more important than watts. I have a Wouxan version of this type of radio. Made better than the BFengs. Example of a test I did with mine. HT, transmitting on 70cm on my person in a river bottom (Wabash) car on high ground with Wouxan crossband repeater mode on, 70 cm in 2m out. Simplex repeater set up at home 20 miles north. I was able to hit my home from the river bottom with that setup.

  5. #5
    I have a roll up antenna that will help with height and LOS.
    Contact your elected officials. It takes a few seconds.
    http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

  6. #6
    Grandmaster 1911ly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Bend
    Posts
    12,108
    Just some advice from someone that has been working on 2 way radio and ham equipment for nearly 40 years. Baofeng stuff is junk. Yep it's cheap and very affordable. But over all it's junk. Their crap and the Wauxan won't meet FCC type acceptance last I knew. I think some of them might now have limited acceptance.

    I have put several of them on my service monitor and I am not impressed with what I have see so far.

  7. #7
    Expert fullmetaljesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    On the pale blue dot
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911ly View Post
    Just some advice from someone that has been working on 2 way radio and ham equipment for nearly 40 years. Baofeng stuff is junk. Yep it's cheap and very affordable. But over all it's junk. Their crap and the Wauxan won't meet FCC type acceptance last I knew. I think some of them might now have limited acceptance.

    I have put several of them on my service monitor and I am not impressed with what I have see so far.
    Not to be a contrarian, but I have had a couple baofengs and they work perfectly fine. They aren't as nice as an icom or a yaesu but they get the job done and work great as a way of dipping your tie into the waters plus they are great beater radios Incase of water or drop damage.

    I don't have 40 year experience but I used to be a radio tech for Motorola and I've been a ham for almost 10 years.
    Forum celebrity

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Midwest US
    Posts
    4,430
    Cheap radios like TYT, Baofeng, Radioddity, Wouxon, etc etc have their place but when you are thinking about SHTF scenarios and comms for the family do not count on these toys. HT's without a repeater aren't a hell of a lot of help.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolBob View Post
    Cheap radios like TYT, Baofeng, Radioddity, Wouxon, etc etc have their place but when you are thinking about SHTF scenarios and comms for the family do not count on these toys. HT's without a repeater aren't a hell of a lot of help.
    I have good radios for when its go time, but any HT FRS/GMRS radio can be a huge help. Knowing what is going on 2 blocks over, the entrance to subdivision, the other side of that cornfield etc.

  10. #10
    And to Sailor who has taught me more than I could have learned on my own without a ton of research. Thanks! And yes, that is kind of what I am after. I would love to be able to com around the world for $50, but I know this is not realistic.


       
    Contact your elected officials. It takes a few seconds.
    http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •