• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thinking about how fast the wildfires spread in northern California last week, kick-started my evacuation motor.

If you had 10 minutes to grab whatever you needed or wanted and shove it into a car or SUV, what would you grab and in what order? You may not have a house to come back to. You may have to drive 50 miles until you reach shelter, and that might be a gymnasium floor.

EVERYTHING is on the table. No judgement zone as well. So, if you say, I'd pack my cats and all my Star wars figures and two cases of Monster rehab. Good on ya. If you say, I'd pack the dog but leave the cats to save room/headache. I get it.

Me? It would be people first of course. We have 6 in our family and only the Yukon would fit all of us plus a dog and two cats. That doesn't leave much room for stuff. If we caravanned, The SUV plus my Jeep, it would work better and thats what we'd do.

People, and pets. Case of MREs, and 4 jugs of water. CCW G19, J frame, shotgun and an Ak w/ chest rig. PVS 7s. Family pics are already condensed into one small scrapbook. Documents and IDs, insurance policies are all on a thumb drive. Id grab cash and metals from the safe. Id grab pet food I'd grab my medic bag. None of us take Rx meds, so we are good there. Id grab my BOB that's set up for a family. It has a LOT of basic, well thought out stuff in it.

That's kind of it.

Everything else can burn to the ground. Guns, heirlooms, artwork, china, books, etc etc. Its just stuff.

What are your thoughts?

WETSU

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    My truck stays pretty well ready. Medic ruck, water, shelter, cordage, edged tools, ammo and some food already loaded. Throw in the spouse, dog and cat. Pet food near the door. Food and water is ready to load and go or sit and wait as the case may be. Dump the drawer with the Rx meds and OTC's in a bag. The ready firearms and ammo cans. 10 minutes would do it, just. Last would be the "everything's gone to S^%t bags" so they would be on top in case we had to leave the truck. Vehicles at my house stay at least half full of fuel.

Great thought exercise, WETSU. Thank you.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Obijohn, true enough, I could live like a king out of my Jeep. It has all the goodies, get home bag, medical, food n water, tools, pointy things, shelter, skittles.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Some of the rabbits, birds, dogs, some clothes, my BOB, wallet, laptop, cell phone,pillows and blankets, and if i still have time any of my collectables but that would be the very last thing(s).

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Thinking about how fast the wildfires spread in northern California last week, kick-started my evacuation motor.

If you had 10 minutes to grab whatever you needed or wanted and shove it into a car or SUV, what would you grab and in what order? You may not have a house to come back to. You may have to drive 50 miles until you reach shelter, and that might be a gymnasium floor.

EVERYTHING is on the table. No judgement zone as well. So, if you say, I'd pack my cats and all my Star wars figures and two cases of Monster rehab. Good on ya. If you say, I'd pack the dog but leave the cats to save room/headache. I get it.

Me? It would be people first of course. We have 6 in our family and only the Yukon would fit all of us plus a dog and two cats. That doesn't leave much room for stuff. If we caravanned, The SUV plus my Jeep, it would work better and thats what we'd do.

People, and pets. Case of MREs, and 4 jugs of water. CCW G19, J frame, shotgun and an Ak w/ chest rig. PVS 7s. Family pics are already condensed into one small scrapbook. Documents and IDs, insurance policies are all on a thumb drive. Id grab cash and metals from the safe. Id grab pet food I'd grab my medic bag. None of us take Rx meds, so we are good there. Id grab my BOB that's set up for a family. It has a LOT of basic, well thought out stuff in it.

That's kind of it.

Everything else can burn to the ground. Guns, heirlooms, artwork, china, books, etc etc. Its just stuff.

What are your thoughts?

WETSU

Id love to know what is in your B.O.B.

my list

GF and dog
    camping gear bag
    my grandparents brass keys on the fireplace
    passport/cash/rifle from the safe
    Hand Held Ham radio

I would prefer we take my jeep and the GF's jeep. I would also toss her a small firearm to keep in her Jeep incase of separation. She would also take the hand held radio bc i have one that lives in my jeep.

Pending on the threat, we would head north to my friends house in the country.
    One problem we face, is we live in the city, so roads may be blocked, but having jeeps it allows us the option of driving through yards if need be. I figure if there is a full scale evacuation, the officers are going to be way too busy to care that we are using a creative method of escape.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    People first. There are 5 of us, usually, so that means mini-van if only 1 vehicle, or that and a sedan. Oh and a dog.

I have an ILBE (thanks, INGO group buy!) and 3 day pack that has some basic stuff (fire starters, dry bags, long-lasting granola type stuff) already stored including water filters. Grab the 2 tents and appropriate sleeping bags which are all close together. Everyone should be putting fresh clothes for appropriate weather into cinch-bags. Grab the small safe with valuables.

2x ARs, 2x 12g, 1x .22 takedown and a handgun for each of us, with plastic cartons of ammo. Maybe the bolt .308 if I can. Any extra time is packing water, water, and more water.

Done this thought exercise previously, but its good to be reminded in light of changes to circumstance.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Living in the GSF and seeing all the stuff from the west brought the fire issues up for discussion here. I'll probably stay and fight the fire, house and buildings are stone/metal.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I would hook the camper, while the kid and spousal unit grabbed what they could. I keep some clothes and non perishables in the camper and my truck, but not more than a couple days worth. I used to keep a b.o.b. at the ready, and I let it go. I need to get it back together. Water would be a holdup. The camper has a 40 gallon tank but it takes a good while to fill, and would have to be sanitized depending on the time of year.

Thanks for posing the question, Wetsu. In the day to day of life, I've gotten really sloppy in my preparedness. Some things I always have: pistol, mags, knives, fire. In the event of get out Dodge, I need to look at some more.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is where have all my computer files on a small, portable NAS is an (electronic) life saver.

If its a ReadyNas, I know you can attach one of these and set a backup. much easier to pocket one of these instead. And you can also backup to a second one and keep it at the office, a friends house, etc for when that 10 minute comes and you arent there. (house catches fire while you are all at work and school)

https://www.seagate.com/consumer/backup/backup-plus/ (it will fit in a back pocket)

I've got go bags plus the GHB in my car plus both cars have a blowout kit. Grab a couple rifles and the big ammo box designed exactly for this purpose and go. The wife's job is to grab the kids and a handful of clothes if possible and we are outta there.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    BOBs (which need to be reviewed and clothing updated for the youngins), fuel (even if it's just what's left in the mower's can), gun safe items, sleeping pads and bags, case of water...

Good reminder re: documents on a flash drive and copied/laminated. Probably should video the house and items since a fire would be a catastrophic loss and put that on the cloud (I also email myself things to a gmail type email)

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Wife, BOB's, prescription drugs, guns, safe contents then follow the 10 minute checklist to eliminate thinking and forgotten items.

Make yourself some checklist for different scenarios. 10 minute, 1+ hours, shopping list for bugging in. The checklists help you prioritize and not forget critical items. You can also hand a checklist to a spouse and tell them here's the kitchen checklist, I'm going to the garage.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have a set of bug out totes at the ready. 72 hours survival for 4 adults and 3 G-kids. Medical/basic tools food water blankets etc.
    A grab and go bag with self defense things. Everyone knows the drill. Grab a lawn leaf trash bag and fill it with pillows/blankets /spare cloths as you can never have enough. We have check lists for the adults.
    Our van is big enough to handle this. It is stocked as well.

Skittles. Good call. I need to get a Sams club sized bag.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Seems the common thread is preparation. How about some training? If needs be, 5 (or 10) C's and I'm out the door. Eastern woodlands really do have everything you need.

I'm glad to read that many are prepared.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Seems the common thread is preparation. How about some training? If needs be, 5 (or 10) C's and I'm out the door. Eastern woodlands really do have everything you need.

So... this becomes a domestic tranquility issue.

There's a certain indulgence of "he likes to feel prepared for anything and it doesn't interfere much with the mundane life we live." Getting the family to buy-in - including 3 teenagers - on more rigorous stuff requires some serious marketing that doesn't always work. In fact, its basically limited to dual-purpose ideas. "It's good to have some medical stuff in case there's an accident at the [insert sports activity here]."

That kind of thing.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If its a ReadyNas, I know you can attach one of these and set a backup. much easier to pocket one of these instead. And you can also backup to a second one and keep it at the office, a friends house, etc for when that 10 minute comes and you arent there. (house catches fire while you are all at work and school)

https://www.seagate.com/consumer/backup/backup-plus/ (it will fit in a back pocket)

I've got go bags plus the GHB in my car plus both cars have a blowout kit. Grab a couple rifles and the big ammo box designed exactly for this purpose and go. The wife's job is to grab the kids and a handful of clothes if possible and we are outta there.

It is a ReadyNAS.

It sits in the basement at my cable hub - right near the furnace and water heater. :n00b:

I've been thinking of building a little fire safe out of sheet metal and drywall, but worry about heat dissipation while running.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Fullmetaljesus, you can see the contents of my BOB on the sticky at top of the survival forums, titled Bug Out Bags. Its changed a little, but not much.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    So... this becomes a domestic tranquility issue.

There's a certain indulgence of "he likes to feel prepared for anything and it doesn't interfere much with the mundane life we live." Getting the family to buy-in - including 3 teenagers - on more rigorous stuff requires some serious marketing that doesn't always work. In fact, its basically limited to dual-purpose ideas. "It's good to have some medical stuff in case there's an accident at the [insert sports activity here]."

That kind of thing.

In many cases this is true. Thankfully, most at my house are onboard. Youngest son still at home, fully trained and prepped. Spouse at worst mute on the subject but understands the need for preparation.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I've never been much of a prepper, but the wife and I train for this scenario often. We call it Friday evening.
    She loads the cooler, while I grab the bags and a tote or two, that are always packed. Then we go to the lake, where we already have plenty of supplies.

In the event of an actual emergency, there is a duffle bag big enough to take the contents of the safe.

Top Bottom