How many firearms for the family when SHTF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    I haven't seen the particular question discussed. The typical 4 (Handgun, riffle, shotgun, 22lr) are usually what people discuss having, but how many? So for me, we are a family of 4. While the kids are not old enough to handle everything yet, would it not be a good idea to have enough for them as they get older? So I'm thinking of 4 of each category and this is being considered for a long term SHTF situation.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Depends.. lately ive been thinking if im bugging out ill just conceal carry as many of my hand guns as i can and maybe a bolt action .22 anymore screams target. So maybe one per person?

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I agree. Even if kids are young, you can still shop for what you want them to have and if a good deal presents itself well...buy now, explain to the wife later.

Important to note, as those little ones grow up they will want to holster whatever pistol you put on their hips. Make sure they don't think "your holster supply" is "their holster supply"...ask me how I know...:facepalm:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree. Even if kids are young, you can still shop for what you want them to have and if a good deal presents itself well...buy now, explain to the wife later.

Important to note, as those little ones grow up they will want to holster whatever pistol you put on their hips. Make sure they don't think "your holster supply" is "their holster supply"...ask me how I know...:facepalm:

Hey Okie G.....how do you know.....:):

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    If i were to CC all of the handguns I could carry, I might as well be an anchor. Maybe 2 sidearms and an AR. Guns are just a club without ammo and ammo is heavy, so be sure to bear this in mind.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas

An MP5 is like a rifle for little people.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Hey Okie G.....how do you know.....:):

Her littles grew up around firearms, now they are taking over their momma's.

Not sure how to take this one...

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    My MPX is a rifle for little people too

I just can't get past the ugly on that gun. It's function is cool, and caliber is a plus but...it's uugggllllyyyy! Most of our little ones have their own rifles and the AR15 platform is preferred for a long rifle. All starter rifles in the house are 22lr with iron sights and shoulder straps; they gotta be able to carry theirs if they want it and it's best to learn accuracy and function before you make a pile of spent brass...

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    It's the strangest thing at our house, KJQ(and a bunch of numbers).

Some firearms just randomly follow him home, others show up and have supposedly been there forever, and others are a gift for me - I just never knew I wanted them and can't seem to find them when I do. Really, quite strange.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I just can't get past the ugly on that gun. It's function is cool, and caliber is a plus but...it's uugggllllyyyy! Most of our little ones have their own rifles and the AR15 platform is preferred for a long rifle. All starter rifles in the house are 22lr with iron sights and shoulder straps; they gotta be able to carry theirs if they want it and it's best to learn accuracy and function before you make a pile of spent brass...

How is this ugly? You take that back! :laugh:

91A1ADEC-9AD1-461F-8CFF-095626DB9E4F_zps4hqnwesl.jpg

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    It's the strangest thing at our house, KJQ(and a bunch of numbers).

Some firearms just randomly follow him home, others show up and have supposedly been there forever, and others are a gift for me - I just never knew I wanted them and can't seem to find them when I do. Really, quite strange.
    I can only imagine. OG, I'm sure you are a blessing, and a curse. :laugh:

Top Bottom